Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Thanks everyone who's following :)

A little progress. I've built the sub-assemblies that go in the access holes on the mandibles and added the detail parts on the mandibles (or are they the jaws, not sure). Anyway, some pics :)

The one on the far right needed the most extra detailing, I think you can make out the white styrene. The second in from the right needed the strip with all the circles on it so I made one with strips of styrene and slices of brass tubing.

IMG_0669.jpg

After priming. The far right one looks really detailed. I may add a few extra pipes and panels to the others yet.

IMG_0670.jpg

Left side with other details in place. I did a little customizing here and there too.

IMG_0671.jpg

And likewise the right side.

IMG_0672.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! I have mine stacked away in the cellar, been there for years. Seing your work REALLY makes my fingers itch! Already looking forward to your next update!

Cheers,

Steve.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask... "How anal is too anal"?...... Have you ever seen a studio model? Hey, if you're trying recapture the PERFECT falcon,,,, I just don't get it. It's supposed to be a cobbled together freighter..

I'm sorry, but I have to ask... "How anal is too anal"?...... Have you ever seen a studio model? Hey, if you're trying recapture the PERFECT falcon,,,, I just don't get it. It's supposed to be a cobbled together freighter..

:lol Well, I wrote that just after I'd started the build so I wasn't sure how far I was going to go. I guess I mean I'm not too bothered about using little details I can see on both the 32" and 5ft studio models, if I like the look of it. In the access points I even added a few little details that I made up myself. So it's not so much I'm aiming to capture the 'perfect' Falcon, but more a model that is bristling with fine detail and looks great to the eye, even though it might not be 100% accurate to either studio model.

Last edited:
I'm all for making it your own! :love Just makes it more interesting!
Great job so far! :thumbsup

:lol Well, I wrote that just after I'd started the build so I wasn't sure how far I was going to go. I guess I mean I'm not too bothered about using little details I can see on both the 32" and 5ft studio models, if I like the look of it. In the access points I even added a few little details that I made up myself. So it's not so much I'm aiming to capture the 'perfect' Falcon, but more a model that is bristling with fine detail and looks great to the eye, even though it might not be 100% accurate to either studio model.

Being a Falcon fan as I am, I am enjoying your thread greatly.

Great detail work, The extras look like they should be there! Thats what you want to achieve and that's what you have done.

looking forward to rest.

Ozzy

Being a Falcon fan as I am, I am enjoying your thread greatly.

Great detail work, The extras look like they should be there! Thats what you want to achieve and that's what you have done.

looking forward to rest.

Ozzy

Thanks, that means a lot since this is the first time I have attempted anything like this :)

I'm all for making it your own! :love Just makes it more interesting!
Great job so far! :thumbsup

Cheers for that. I worked some on it today and again I have been referencing the 5 foot model and using detail I can see on it. I am rationalizing it by thinking this build was somewhere in between the movies :lol

Anyway, here is the back of the cargo bay as built (apart from a channel I've taken out of the left side where the pipes went).

IMG_0676.jpg

Then here with some detailing from the 5 foot model.

IMG_0686.jpg

I could do with some good pix of the insides of the cargo bay if anyone has some.

A bit of pipework on the starboard side of the ship.

IMG_0687.jpg

Again referencing the 5 footer for the most part, I added more detail I liked to the upper jaw.

IMG_0679.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great.

But I wonder, is all this detailing also missing when you´d replicate the 32" model? I haven´t looked at any MF reference pics so far because I won´t start mine for a while, but I had hoped the FM kit would be good enough so I can build it OOB, which I haven´t done for years...

Got to admit though, I really like what you´re doing to yours. :)

VERY NICE!!! Makes me want to start mine!

No time like the present :)

That is some nice work so far.

Cheers, Scratchy, you being the expert you are on customizing and all, thanks very much. The work you are doing on the 1/144 is insane! :)

That looks great.

But I wonder, is all this detailing also missing when you´d replicate the 32" model? I haven´t looked at any MF reference pics so far because I won´t start mine for a while, but I had hoped the FM kit would be good enough so I can build it OOB, which I haven´t done for years...

Got to admit though, I really like what you´re doing to yours. :)

Some of it is missing, but I'm sure you can build it OOB and it will still be a stunning kit, the detail OOB is crisp and as you add the pieces it just looks better and better. I can't wait to prime it so all the extra pieces tie in together. I might mask it off and prime that middle jaw later just to see how it looks.

I have been having a bit of trouble with the cement. It comes through a metal tube and even the drop it delivers is sometimes way too much for the tiny pieces of styrene I'm adding which then means I have to clean up around the part later. I've tried getting some on the end of a tooth pick but somtimes I end up with not enough on it and the piece isn't secure. Any tips from the kit building experts out there, or is it just a matter of practice?

I have the same glue problems, but I´ve built models for 10 years and it hasn´t changed. I use Revell glue. I usually press the bottle until a drop of glue hangs on the tube´s tip, if it´s too much, I´ll wipe it off the tube with a piece of toilet paper, if not, I´ll apply it to the part.
The room I build in is not frequently used by the other family members so usually it´s not heated, when I start building the glue is fine. Then I turn on the heating and the warmer it becomes the more glue will come from the tube. So it´s a temperature thing as well. I´ve never tried it with my model building glues, but at work, we´ve kept superglue in the fridge. Maybe try if it helps.

Ah, as long as there's not some magical technique that I'm missing. Yeah, I'm using the Revell glue too. There is a glue that comes with a brush, Dana mentioned it on his blog, but I wasn't able to find it.

Al

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back