Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Alaneye, In my opinion, when seeing the studio scale falcons up close you can see the imperfections including much of it not being symmetrical, and even though you can not see these in the movies you get the same sence of imperfection anyway. Some of the FM falcon builds I have seen are exceptional in that they are clean tidy and perfectly painted, but they lack that sence of imperfection. They still look like a production make kit. No offence to anyone!

I think that the feel of the SS models is achieved by adding some of your own work, and detailing, which you are doing. So dont worry too much about making the parts perfect. What you doing is working.

Pharchivist, do the pastels darken once clear coat is applied?

Ozzy

On my own Falcon I went with the 50/50 mixture of FS Camo Gray and FS Light Gray shot over a black pre-shade coat as straight camo gray looked too tan to me. Plus, to me at least the ESB Falcon seems to be a darker shade than the ANH one. My flat coat was Model Master clear flat in a spray and keeping the coats light, I didn't seem to have a yellowing problem with it (and she has not yellowed yet). If you wish to airbrush a flat coat on, Microscale Microflat is a very good acrylic flat coat IMHO. As for the pastels, I've found if they are ground with a fine grit sandpaper (at least 320 grit) they are very resistant to rubbing out and typically I flat coat, THEN pastel as when done the weathering streaks seem to handle touching just fine (as long as my hands aren't sweaty that is). There was only one spot I had a slight fingerprint and I fixed that by lightly rubbing the paint with a 1400 grit sanding cloth so it wouldn't harm the base paint.

Here's what I accomplished with the paintjob and weathering on mine:

finfalcon2.jpg

topturret1.jpg

finfalcon6.jpg

finfalcon5.jpg

Alaneye, In my opinion, when seeing the studio scale falcons up close you can see the imperfections including much of it not being symmetrical, and even though you can not see these in the movies you get the same sence of imperfection anyway. Some of the FM falcon builds I have seen are exceptional in that they are clean tidy and perfectly painted, but they lack that sence of imperfection. They still look like a production make kit. No offence to anyone!

I think that the feel of the SS models is achieved by adding some of your own work, and detailing, which you are doing. So dont worry too much about making the parts perfect. What you doing is working.

Pharchivist, do the pastels darken once clear coat is applied?

Ozzy

Ozzy, thanks for that. I think you have a point, it's the little imperfections that can make it look 'right'.

Al

JMChladek, I'm at work at the moment so I can't check out your pix right now (photobucket blocked). I'll have a look when I get hom

Al

Last edited:
Alaneye, great work and attention to detail buddy, really inspiring. Making me feel guilty about not taking my time on my own work!

Quick question, noticed you're a UK boy, where did you pick up the kit and for how much? I seem to only ever find US sellers and the shipping costs would kill me..?

Thanks Darth. I got mine direct from Hobby Link Japan with FedEx delivery and I think it was about £198 including the VAT and the £10 forwarding fee that FedEx charge. If you want one and the price is right for you, it's still instock and is the same price as I paid:

1/72 Millennium Falcon | HobbyLink Japan

Al

Last edited:
I completed the back topside at the weekend. A lot of parts go into detailing this area, as well as the bit of customizing I did, so it took quite a while. Sorry, but for some reason I didn't take as many photos of the progress this time.

I started with the detailing on the inside of the engine slot. Now I know that the studio model doesn't include there, but I think it looks cool with them on.

This is without them.

IMG_0804.jpg

And this is with them.

IMG_0805.jpg

Next I modified the four vents so they look more like the studio model versions. I cut a piece of aluminium tube then trimmed off the outter ring off the part and fitted the part inside the ring.

IMG_0811.jpg

Here they are glued in position.

IMG_0813.jpg

I also fashioned these parts as they are missing altogether fromt he kit.

IMG_0819.jpg

And I replaced the moulded 'spring' with one made from fuse wire.

IMG_0818.jpg

After quite a few hours work it looked like this.

IMG_0830.jpg

But I wasn't keen on the fairly bare area below the engine vents, so I looked at the 5 foot model and noticed some sort of sliding flaps. So I made some and added them in.

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

And a final primed pic to tie it all together.

IMG_0874big.jpg

Here's a link to a higher resolution picture if anyone wants a closer look (might need to click on the actual picture to see the full size image)

http://www.alanianson.co.uk/images/images/img_0874.jpg

I may add some more details here and there yet, not sure, but that's all for now. I'm still waiting for Rob from Acreations to send the photo etched parts for the cockpit, he should have them soon, then I can look at the cockpit better and decide how I'm going to tackle the lighting.

Last edited:
I have been watching your build as I work on mine. Great build and an inspiration helping me along,thanks! I got the Acreation set specifically for the cockpit 'grill'. I emulated the full size set with the holes behind it,stretch some sprue for two thin 'pipes' like the Koolshade on the five footer. Funny thing is looking at the 32 incher it appears to have no grill,just the frame,but like you I am picking and choosing the details I like from different versions of the Falcon. This is my second and final build of this guy. Loving what your doing with yours.

Thanks, Fett_ish, nice to know you are working on yours too. I haven't looked too much at the cockpit area yet, that part scares me a bit with the lighting etc. lol

Looking good, I realy like how you are making this your Falcon. Using reference from both studio scale and some of your own impressions.

Keep it up.

Ozzy

Okay, these detail additions are starting to scare me a little bit. ;)

Nice work as usual Alan, and thanks for the good words about my paintjob. Hopefully it can provide some inspiration for yours.

Looking good, I realy like how you are making this your Falcon. Using reference from both studio scale and some of your own impressions.

Keep it up.

Ozzy

Thanks, Ozzy. Just about everything I've added up to now though is referenced from the 32" or 5' studio models, i don't think I've actually invented anything... yet :)

Okay, these detail additions are starting to scare me a little bit. ;)

Nice work as usual Alan, and thanks for the good words about my paintjob. Hopefully it can provide some inspiration for yours.

Scare you a bit? I know, some of them are crazy small, I bet it took me over an hour to fashion those sliding flaps. I do like the look of them though.

I don't think there's been a build I look at yet that hasn't inspired me in one way or another.

Out of everything, I think the paint job is the most daunting part of the build. I know it will make or break it. Finger crossed.

Amazing detail! This continues to be a great build to watch. Mine's still waiting in my closet and for me to have the space to work on it. Can't wait to see how you tackle the lighting because I'm waiting on tips, ideas, and inspiration.

Well Alan, if you are really that hesitant on paint, why not get your hands on a Revell Falcon and use it as a paint testbed? They are readily available in your neck of the woods and about the same size. So you can use one to try your paint and masking technique before doing it to the FM kit. Just shoot a gray primer coat over the top and bottom parts and have at it just using it as a paint exercise. If it works on a Revell kit it should most certainly work on a FineMolds kit.

In my own case when I painted mine, there wasn't really anything that I did differently here that I hadn't done before on other SW models (black pre-shade, basecoat, wash, detail paint, pastel), but I admit I had never done it on a model that big before. But I used the techniques I was the most comfortable with. So a practice model does help build confidence as that can only come with experience.

The one thing that gave me pause in my case was doing the battle damage craters and scrapes on the model, because to me I didn't want to risk messing up a $200 kit in the process. But I did it and I was happy with the results. I think you'll do just fine. I would say the main thing is it can be so easy to overdo weathering. Keep it somewhat light and looking good in person and it should be fine. Maybe pictures might show the model as being too clean, but in my experience if you try to darken the weathering to some pictures, the model can end up looking over weathered (at least IMHO). Given your attention to detail, I think you'll do just fine though.

Thanks for that. I don't really fancy painting two Falcons, but I do have a 1/48 Snowspeeder that I've built (most of it without glue) so I guess I could try some techniques on that, which was my intention until the Falcon arrived :) My main worry is, as you say, over-doing the weathering. I'm a born worrier though anyway, so probably not too much in it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back