Fight Club Tyler Durden T-shirts?

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:42 pm
Tyler Durden

x-mart wrote:
Lol. Technically it's not on the table. My arm is in between the jacket and the table.

This is the jacket that was auctioned off by Fox over a decade ago and later sold by Screen Used.

It was great chatting to Rupert about it in person - when you are writing to each other - there is only so much you can talk - when you are chatting in person it's a 2 hour long conversation. Too much fun.

I currently am on my cell phone so wish I could write longer about it - will do when I'm on a proper computer.
Long story short after reading couple comments on the forum my plan was to return it to Fox for a replacement as it was sold as a "screen worn" jacket not a prototype as some claim to be. I have nothing to lose here as long as I have the official paperwork. However after studying the jacket a little longer in depth it looks like this may indeed be a screen used jacket and also the jacket worn by Pitt on the cover of W magazine.

Yea there are other jackets with slight variations - but this looks like a winner so far. I will look more in depth to this and will also take it to Jonathan Logan in my next LA trip to see what he has to say about it.
If there is one person who wants mystery to be solved - that's me guys.

Not making any assumptions - if it's proven correct - great I will keep it with rest of the outfits from the film in my collection. If not I'll have it replaced with one of the jackets currently at Fox or exhibit since it was officially auctioned as "screen used". So know that I have nothing to lose here - and not trying to prove something right if it's indeed wrong. Anything is possible. Certainly a fun journey awaits.

Edit: Typo

Im actually the one who saw first your jacket was not the one worn in the movie. The jacket in the movie is much more red and the pocket are different. I dont remember who came with the JAL information, i started however to work with him. When I say work its mean the first jacket he showed me was veryyyy far from what we have now (if you interested in, I have the first version he showed me as evidence..): I have many email (more than 50) where I explained him all about details, and mail after mail we slowly got this final version. We also exhanged a lot about leather, he sent me by post different lether etc which i finally choose the one most often used in jacket seen in this forum. I sent many word document with different picture HD to show stitching details, how the jacket should looks on some points etc. I played very autist as the pationate by this jacket I am.. If the jacket of JAL is what it is now, its just because of my work with him. So the question is: how its possible the makers of the jacket didnt remember such details ? if you look at the end of the movie, he is not even credited. His evidence is a brad pitt sign i seen on a fight club picture intented to his name. Im really wondering he is the original maker, even not the one who copied your jacket to make the final 7 versions of the movie. I think he is to date a self credited one. Its doesnt mean he didnt made a good job to reach exactly what i was asking for (he was really tired of me since i asked really much to change every times.. ). When i see JAL jacket after i stoped speak with him, I continue to see my final "work" and its still not "complete". there is some details which show its not the jacket in the movie, and i dont speak about color or leather thickness, even if i think rupe did a good point here. I speak for exemple about the shoulder, the jacket used in the movie, and the one you own x mart is perfect, not the one from JAL. I insisted a lot to him to copy this details, but he never succeed to reach that point. Same with colar.

If you guys continue to investigate all this year, please at least try to confirm JAL is well the makers. My theory is he did maybe one the 7 jacket, and his jacket was not used in the movie. Something like that. This is the maximum he could have done. Too much details was missed, including steatching, to be one of the real makers of the movie jacket

^ this was posted on the filmjackets website. It's from a foreigner who says he helped logan create the fc jacket that he sells now. He says he helped get most of the details you see on your jackets. I believe him

Frodo what are asking? What I meant was according to that guy who posted in the film jackets site, when logan first made the fc jacket for sale he had a lot of details wrong. This guy says he emailed back and forth with logan to tell him the details of the screen used jacket. Then logan was able to make the jacket with the details that he offers for sale now on his site. He says that logan is still off in details. I don't know if AJ and Soul saw this at the costume exhibit, but at the fc wardrobe there is a note with a quote from Kaplan where he says he designed the jacket and dyed it the color of blood.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:42 pm
Tyler Durden

x-mart wrote:
Lol. Technically it's not on the table. My arm is in between the jacket and the table.

This is the jacket that was auctioned off by Fox over a decade ago and later sold by Screen Used.

It was great chatting to Rupert about it in person - when you are writing to each other - there is only so much you can talk - when you are chatting in person it's a 2 hour long conversation. Too much fun.

I currently am on my cell phone so wish I could write longer about it - will do when I'm on a proper computer.
Long story short after reading couple comments on the forum my plan was to return it to Fox for a replacement as it was sold as a "screen worn" jacket not a prototype as some claim to be. I have nothing to lose here as long as I have the official paperwork. However after studying the jacket a little longer in depth it looks like this may indeed be a screen used jacket and also the jacket worn by Pitt on the cover of W magazine.

Yea there are other jackets with slight variations - but this looks like a winner so far. I will look more in depth to this and will also take it to Jonathan Logan in my next LA trip to see what he has to say about it.
If there is one person who wants mystery to be solved - that's me guys.

Not making any assumptions - if it's proven correct - great I will keep it with rest of the outfits from the film in my collection. If not I'll have it replaced with one of the jackets currently at Fox or exhibit since it was officially auctioned as "screen used". So know that I have nothing to lose here - and not trying to prove something right if it's indeed wrong. Anything is possible. Certainly a fun journey awaits.

Edit: Typo

Im actually the one who saw first your jacket was not the one worn in the movie. The jacket in the movie is much more red and the pocket are different. I dont remember who came with the JAL information, i started however to work with him. When I say work its mean the first jacket he showed me was veryyyy far from what we have now (if you interested in, I have the first version he showed me as evidence..): I have many email (more than 50) where I explained him all about details, and mail after mail we slowly got this final version. We also exhanged a lot about leather, he sent me by post different lether etc which i finally choose the one most often used in jacket seen in this forum. I sent many word document with different picture HD to show stitching details, how the jacket should looks on some points etc. I played very autist as the pationate by this jacket I am.. If the jacket of JAL is what it is now, its just because of my work with him. So the question is: how its possible the makers of the jacket didnt remember such details ? if you look at the end of the movie, he is not even credited. His evidence is a brad pitt sign i seen on a fight club picture intented to his name. Im really wondering he is the original maker, even not the one who copied your jacket to make the final 7 versions of the movie. I think he is to date a self credited one. Its doesnt mean he didnt made a good job to reach exactly what i was asking for (he was really tired of me since i asked really much to change every times.. ). When i see JAL jacket after i stoped speak with him, I continue to see my final "work" and its still not "complete". there is some details which show its not the jacket in the movie, and i dont speak about color or leather thickness, even if i think rupe did a good point here. I speak for exemple about the shoulder, the jacket used in the movie, and the one you own x mart is perfect, not the one from JAL. I insisted a lot to him to copy this details, but he never succeed to reach that point. Same with colar.

If you guys continue to investigate all this year, please at least try to confirm JAL is well the makers. My theory is he did maybe one the 7 jacket, and his jacket was not used in the movie. Something like that. This is the maximum he could have done. Too much details was missed, including steatching, to be one of the real makers of the movie jacket

^ this was posted on the filmjackets website. It's from a foreigner who says he helped logan create the fc jacket that he sells now. He says he helped get most of the details you see on your jackets. I believe him

Yes. designed it on Paper, no one is disputing that. He was the costume designer, it makes sense. The only things the "Foreigner", he's French BTW, added were the stitching on the shoulder. Steve Aleve had his jacket before this guy, and he just told JAL to move the stitch that meets the pocket. That's all. The stitching on the elbow and the fold behind the pocket no one can see on the film. They're not on X-marts jacket, only folds, no stitching, but I wouldn't take this guys claims to be all that. He just wanted it how "he saw it". If you look at the pictures of his jacket that he put on Filmjackets, his collar is completely different to everyone else's. And he has the white stitch across the shoulder who no one else had until he added it. JAL has been selling the FC jacket for years, its only us that discovered it recently. That being said, i have seen some very strange variations over the years and some horrible red leather, which was a long time ago and probably matched the film better because they were made closer to the time the film came out.

Rupert, in his post it sounds like he told logan to change a lot more details than just the shoulder stitch. I'd like to see all the emails he says he has. I also remember the seam that goes through he pocket being off on the first jackets. It would be good if someone on the filmjackets thread asks to see some of his emails with logan

I doubt that's going to happen. And i don't believe he changed more than that. because i have seen pictures of jackets before he got his and the only difference is the shoulder and the stitch that meets the pocket. I'll try and find some pictures.

Ok guys got my TI's from Japan and here is my verdict (Note I own 1998's, 2009, and now these)

TI's feel like a cheap sunglass compared to the original 1998. The Titanium is extremely light weight and almost reminds me of wearing thin plastic sunglasses. Even my 2009 do not feel like this.

Also for some reason these sunglasses seem like a different shape then the original and 2009 version. Almost like the sunglass is completely flat or something. For comparison, I will upload a picture of me wearing the 1998 with orange lens, the 2009 with orange lens, and the TI. So judge for yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying these from Japan as I feel even the paperstreet shades were of better quality which I also own.

Ok guys here are the sunglasses I tried to capture the exact lighting and such. Granted physically handling the sunglasses is a lot different. I wish I had a postage scale to weigh the sunglasses but if I were to take a guess the 1998 and 2009 metal is probably about 3-4 times the weight of the TI's.

The order of images are the TI's, 2009, 1998, and the redish lens are the paperstreet sunglasses.

Edit: Or looking at the clock (No clock are the TI's, 10:13 are the 1998's, 10:14 are the 2009, and 10:17 the paperstreet

opti.jpgop2009.jpgop1998.jpgoppaper.jpg

Lol AJ granted they do look a little wider then the op's and paper street shades but as far as quality goes, there is no way the paper street shades are better quality than a titanium frame which is probably close to indestructible compared to the paper street shades and will probably last a lot longer. I believe someone told me that the size may be a tiny bit difference on the ti's due to them being for a Japanese market. That's what I heard. The light weight is the titanium. Originally, the lighter the sunglass frame the higher the quality.

Isn't it ironic that in this case the better quality frame looks suckier than one of poorer quality lol. It's clear that the titanium don't look as cool as the others

I disagree with you. Quality isn't always measured by how indestructible something is. A Lamborghini is made out of carbonate which is easily destroyed compared to lesser cars. I can tell a big quality difference in all the sunglasses and the TI simply feel cheap compared to both the 2009 and the 1998 Oliver Peoples.

Also I disagree that titanium is necessarily better. Conspiracy theory, why didn't they simply use the original metal alloy? I am sure it came down to costs. I bet the titanium is cheaper and more abundant to use. It wouldn't make sense not to use the original metal if that was the cheaper metal rather then change it and go to a more expensive route.

I disagree with you. Quality isn't always measured by how indestructible something is. A Lamborghini is made out of carbonate which is easily destroyed compared to lesser cars. I can tell a big quality difference in all the sunglasses and the TI simply feel cheap compared to both the 2009 and the 1998 Oliver Peoples.

Also I disagree that titanium is necessarily better. Conspiracy theory, why didn't they simply use the original metal alloy? I am sure it came down to costs. I bet the titanium is cheaper and more abundant to use. It wouldn't make sense not to use the original metal if that was the cheaper metal rather then change it and go to a more expensive route.
You are spot on about Titanium being cheap in Asia. I've been skateboarding for 14 years, and I use titanium trucks for my board- the only place to get them manufactured is in China.

Agreed, they use it because it's a cheaper material over there. I've also heard from multiple sources that the ti feels cheap compared to the other 523 versions.

Yo AJ, do you have a fabric measuring tape that has the mm on it. Can you measure the height and width (from nose piece to temple piece) of all 3.
I think yall are right, the originals look better. And it does look like the metal "tubing" is flat on the ti. You can especially tell at the top of the lenses and where it starts to bend. I know titanium is lighter, but I actually like my sunglasses a tad heavy; don't know why but I do.

However, I still think $1300 is way to expensive for these glasses, like itsalwayssunny is asking, even though they're original.

I spoke to my Asian OP guy, and he confirmed that all the glasses that they are reproducing, the OP523, Sunset, Nitro, Victory 55, are in titanium except the Pakalas (of course they're plastic). He did say that those are EXACTLY the same as the originals. I asked him if he minded if I gave his info out and he told me not to since he is corp. He said he will give me a name and info on one of his managers of a store that I could pass along to you guys to order.

What do you guys feel a pair of Originals 523 are worth (or should sell for)?

Also, do any of you find the Sunset a bit feminine when worn like I do?

Last edited:
I don't but I can tell they are different sizing and seem even more flat then the originals. As for OP523 I think 900 is a fair price for something that is over 15 years old and a collector's item. Granted I also own a JAL jacket which was over 900 dollars too.

- - - Updated - - -

Overall, TI's feel like a cheap knockoff that should of been only 75-99 dollars US. If you are gonna pay 400+ for TI's you might as well just get the real deal cause you are paying a really overpriced fee for something that feels really cheap.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back