Fifth Element: Korben Dallas blaster (mostly metal)

I could maybe make a couple of barrels, but most of the parts are pretty time consuming.

No pictures yet, but I've almost finished the turned pieces. I'll hopefully be able to finish the lathe work tomorrow night, but there will still be a bit of work to fit the front segment to the gun.

I turned the larger piece tonight, just one more small piece and all the rotary attachment work left to go. I also rubber banded the whole gun together to drill pilot holes for press in threaded inserts to mount the frame to the gun. I was planning on using the bottom holes on the side disks as the second mounting point, but I somehow never noticed that those holes are above the slide, not the frame, and drilling in there would interfere with the cocking movement. I might hide a second set of screws just behind the first in the recessed area where the grip frame attaches. Not sure yet, have to fiddle with it. I might also make a more accurate 2 part barrel with the main piece mounted in the gun to hold the front receiver piece down, it has a little bit of wiggle at the front currently.

46980511294_d20dda115e_b.jpg

I drilled the new holes and put in all 4 inserts, and I also drilled out the barrel of the resin gun about 1.5" deep. I'll use a thin walled tube between the gun and the turned barrel to hold the front receiver on. So now the whole front of the gun is completely solid. I also flattened the top of the front turned piece and attached it. I just have to add the wide disk at the back of that piece and then I'll start printing the grip frame over and over again until it fits perfectly.

47742458732_e3ce7b43f9_b.jpg

47742458732_e3ce7b43f9_b.jpg

Turned the last piece, machined out the pocket, fit it on, and trimmed the extra. Then did a test fit of the grip frame. This is the second test, the third required some significant changes and will print tomorrow. It's just a cropped version for now to test the fit around the machined parts and the trigger guard. Once I get that ironed out I can move on to the rest of it.

32858434787_f28c56930b_b.jpg

absolutely fantastic! I'm a big fan of the Fifth Element specifically this blaster! Are you plan on anodizing the metal pieces that are black?

At this point, not really. I don't want to mess with the chemicals myself and the company that anodizes parts for my work wants a lot of money for it and also has a bad track record of trashing the parts and I don't want to risk it. Plus, I need the printed parts to match, so I think paint is the way to go.

It does feel pretty authentic.

I've got the first two pieces of the hand guard on their way from shapeways. I needed the durability and detail of the nylon plastic, can't manage it on my printer. In the meantime I'm working on the slide mechanism and removing the trigger/making room for the electronics.

The aluminum colored parts will be clear coated with Mr. Color semi-gloss clear and the black parts will probably be painted with Mr. Color GX2 and then clear coated with the semi-gloss. I'm hoping the printed parts will have the same finish once they're painted as well.

Looks fantastic, perhaps you could polish up the metal parts and have it as a silver ghost version like the Blade Runner PKD!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back