Fiberglass/Resin Molding of helmets

vampyregodz

Hey guys

I recently got my hands on several kellogs helmts that i dismantled and corrected the frown, chin, fin back of helmet etc in clay over the reworked kellogs helmet....now I want to make a few for myself and if they come out well for rpf members...I want to do them as a 1 piece bucket for those with larger heads like me, as I just recently spent several hundred dollars on an incredible episode II clone bucket that is a 1 piece and i believe resin that gets to my forhead before the cheeks of the bucket sinch my head...

anyway i am looking for the best way to make a mold of the bucket and cast it and i am not sure if i should use resin or fiberglass or some other plastic etc you guys may recommend... help me rpf you are my only hope...

The first consideration you have is the whole "recasting" issue. I don't know how folks here will feel about this, you have started with a commercially available product, yet you have taken it apart and have made what sounds like considerable mods and improvements. Of course, making one for yourself should be no big deal, but for others... I don't know. Will be interesting to see the response of other RPF members.

Otherwise, look into making a silicone RTV mold, with an outer "mother mold" of fiberglass or hydrocal. I'd imagine you could then brush in a gel coat and then lay down a layer or two of fiberglass and resin for a one-piece casting... There are plenty of tutorials and info available on the net regarding this type of stuff.

Good luck, and post some pix.

Marcus

Originally posted by eightperf@Sep 10 2005, 10:34 PM
The first consideration you have is the whole "recasting" issue.  I don't know how folks here will feel about this, you have started with a commercially available product, yet you have taken it apart and have made what sounds like considerable mods and improvements.  Of course, making one for yourself should be no big deal, but for others...  I don't know.  Will be interesting to see the response of other RPF members.

Otherwise, look into making a silicone RTV mold, with an outer "mother mold" of fiberglass or hydrocal.  I'd imagine you could then brush in a gel coat and then lay down a layer or two of fiberglass and resin for a one-piece casting...  There are plenty of tutorials and info available on the net regarding this type of stuff.

Good luck, and post some pix.

Marcus
[snapback]1074839[/snapback]​

I really wouldn't consider it a recast as i just used the kellogs for a base and to space it for the size of my head LOL my hat size is a 9 I just figured if someone had a monster head like me I would be happy to help them out at cost not to make money or a huge run as i don't have time for stuff like that..

But basically its a custom sculpt as its entirely clay visible not an ounce of Kellogs bucket is showing honestly if i had another mask to use for the base that was generic I would have used that...I just know with the clone helmets to be done right they are not vacuformed its a solid pour this the question...but i do appreciate the concerns.

Hi all

I want to start into custom sculting/molding and fgíng myself and already ordered all need stuff (which is pretty pricey :eek).

I remember a great video tutorial from a companies site, showing al steps of moldmaking, adding a mother-shell and laminating in fg.

Anybody who remembers the link?

Thanks in advance, Markus :)

Received my clay, tools, epoxy resin, fg-mattings etc. yesterday :)

Let...the gaaaaames...BEGIN :D

Markus

Originally posted by eightperf@Sep 10 2005, 06:34 PM
The first consideration you have is the whole "recasting" issue. 

I don't see it as an issue at all. Its a frickin' thin, cheap, plastic helmet given out free with cereal to start with. Then the crap helmet is modded out to the nth degree. Ain't no casting of the helmet as far as I'm concerned.

I'm beginning this process as well. My plan is to coat my sculpt with silicone, then back it with fiberglass. I'll leave the head opening open, and lay in gelcoat/fiberglass mat to create a one-piece helmet.
Check out progress pictures here

Any advice or places to purchase materials would be appreciated.

Originally posted by TK1536@Sep 23 2005, 08:12 AM
I'm beginning this process as well. My plan is to coat my sculpt with silicone, then back it with fiberglass. I'll leave the head opening open, and lay in gelcoat/fiberglass mat to create a one-piece helmet.
Check out progress pictures here

Any advice or places to purchase materials would be appreciated.
[snapback]1082324[/snapback]​

Awesome work on that Clone Trooper armor.

I know a little about helmet/mold making, and if you don't mind, I'd like to throw in a nickel's worth of free advice.

I get the impression from reading your post that you want to make a one piece helmet by using a one piece mold.

I recomend that you make a two piece mold and lay in the fiberglass in two halves. Once this has set-up, then put the mold together and apply a fiberglass seam. If you try and lay resin and fiberglass into a "bucket" mold, you will have to reach your arm into the opening to get the FG in there. 1) this fills the only hole with you arm and prevents you from seeing what you are doing. 2) Since you can't see where you are putting the fiberglass, you will get lots of air pockets in the lay-up. 3) you wil end up with as much resin on your arm as you have in the mold.
I will try and post some pics when I get to my home computer.

Originally posted by clonesix@Sep 28 2005, 03:39 PM
I know a little about helmet/mold making, and if you don't mind, I'd like to throw in a nickel's worth of free advice.

I get the impression from reading your post that you want to make a one piece helmet by using a one piece mold.

I recomend that you make a two piece mold and lay in the fiberglass in two halves.  Once this has set-up, then put the mold together and apply a fiberglass seam.  If you try and lay resin and fiberglass into a "bucket" mold, you will have to reach your arm into the opening  to get the FG in there.  1) this fills the only hole with you arm and prevents you from seeing what you are doing.  2)  Since you can't see where you are putting the fiberglass, you will get lots of air pockets in the lay-up.  3)  you wil end up with as much resin on your arm as you have in the mold.

I have put together a mold tutorial for making a case mold.  If you want, I can email it to you as a Word attachment.

I will try and post some pics when I get to my home computer.
[snapback]1085805[/snapback]​

Can i get a copy of this tutorial as well? And maybe some pics??
I am working on a Republic commando sculpt and would like to use your technique to mold it when i'm done sculpting it. Your Ep2 clone helmet looked great. Is this the way you moldeed them?
Thanks.
Goldenrod

Originally posted by Goldenrod@Sep 29 2005, 01:07 AM
Can i get a copy of this tutorial as well? And maybe some pics??
I am working on a Republic commando sculpt and would like to use your technique to mold it when i'm done sculpting it. Your Ep2 clone helmet looked great. Is this the way you moldeed them?
Thanks.
Goldenrod
[snapback]1085898[/snapback]​

pm me your email address and I will send it out to you.

Here are a few pics of the process. This is the final mold. I decided to make the mold in three pieces in order to put the seem lines in inconspicuous places. I wanted the dome in one piece and not have to clean it up.

sequence01.jpg

Got the tutorial. Thanks Jon.
Quick question...you did 2 molds of it? One with a plaster jacket and one with a fibergass jacket? Or did you just replace the plaster with the fiberglass? because of the wieght?
-goldenrod

Originally posted by Goldenrod@Sep 29 2005, 05:33 PM
Got the tutorial. Thanks Jon.
Quick question...you did 2 molds of it? One with a plaster jacket and one with a fibergass jacket? Or did you just replace the plaster with the fiberglass? because of the wieght?
-goldenrod
[snapback]1086484[/snapback]​

Thank you for the tutorial, I second the question asked above.

Originally posted by Goldenrod@Sep 29 2005, 05:33 PM
-goldenrod
[snapback]1086484[/snapback]​

Yes, I made two molds. The first (plaster) mold (documented for the tutorial) was a mold of the clay sculpt. A few fiberglass copies were made and those copies were Bondo'd clean. They were experimented with until I got to the one, final version you see above.

I made the second (fiberglass) mold to produce clean copies that required no bondo work to clean them up.

Yes, the fiberglass is lighter.

Please note: I use water clay in the process. Water and resin don't mix. The clay had to be sealed very well with several coats of lacquer, and then several coats of PVA.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back