Fiberglass/Resin Molding of helmets

Reactor drone

Originally posted by TK648+Jan 1 2006, 07:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK648 @ Jan 1 2006, 07:43 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Reactor drone
@Jan 1 2006, 01:20 AM

Obviously you need a fairly viscous resin for this process(and hopefully a fast setting one) but there are specific resins on the market for this type of casting.

[snapback]1147935[/snapback]​
Please point me in the direction of these resins.
I ask only because I have not come across a resin that
is viscous enough to cling to a silicone mold and most set up
to quickly depending on the mass amount that you mix.

TK648
[snapback]1147965[/snapback]​
[/b]

Haven't tried it yet but BJB's F series resins are supposed to be Ok for this-F-90 has a 6 minute work time 90A hardness and a mixed viscosity of 5000cps.In australia,where I am,the stockist is Barnes .

Ultraseven

I want to do a fiber glass helmet as well. I've just finished a two part silicone mold but I did'nt have any working experience with fiber glass before.
Did anybody know where can I find or purchase some books or Videos, that can clearly expain the whole process of the work (material I need to purchase, mixing ratio of the substances etc...) of the fiber glass helmet??
Thanks. :)

Reactor drone

Originally posted by Ultraseven@Jan 13 2006, 03:11 AM
I want to do a fiber glass helmet as well. I've just finished a two part silicone mold but I did'nt have any working experience with fiber glass before.
Did anybody know where can I find or purchase some books or Videos, that can clearly expain the whole process of the work (material I need to purchase, mixing ratio of the substances etc...) of the fiber glass helmet??
[snapback]1157596[/snapback]​
I don't have any books or videos but my gondor helmet is fibreglass.The first layer I used a mix of polyester resin and car body filler to make a thicker gelcoat,mix the two components thoroughly,then add the catalyst to the specs(usually 1-2% MEKP and a small squeeze of Benzoyl Peroxide).

I use a disposable varnish brush to apply this mixture to the inside of the mould...good idea to get yourself a box of latex gloves to use when fibreglassing too.Adding a gelcoat really helps avoid air bubbles on the surface of your finished article as well as making an easily sandable surface finish.

Remember also that fibreglass doesn't like cold weather,the hotter the day the faster it'll set.

After the gelcoat is set add a layer of polyester resin+catalyst(You'll usually notice a colour change in the resin from greenish blue to brown as the catalyst starts working) with either chopped strand mat(CSM) or woven glass reinforcing-this can be added one half at a time to avoid having wet resin dripping on your hand as you try and do all sides.I pre-cut my chopped strand mat into smallish oblongs(2" by 4") and layed them up in the mould.One the resin penetrates the CSM it can be easily meshed with neighbouring pieces using the brush and stippling will remove air bubbles from the fibreglass.

On a warm day the resin can be set in 15-20mins so a quick build up of all sides can be done in a couple of hours.

Acetone is used for clean ups and don't do it indoors unless you want your house to smell like fibreglass for a month :eek:

I was using about 500ml/1pint of resin overall for my larger components(chest/back armour,helmet,greaves) so they're about 3mm thick

Ultraseven

Originally posted by Reactor drone+Jan 15 2006, 06:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reactor drone @ Jan 15 2006, 06:16 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ultraseven
@Jan 13 2006, 03:11 AM
[snapback]1157596[/snapback]​
I don't have any books or videos but my gondor helmet is fibreglass.The first layer I used a mix of polyester resin and car body filler to make a thicker gelcoat,mix the two components thoroughly,then add the catalyst to the specs(usually 1-2% MEKP and a small squeeze of Benzoyl Peroxide).

I use a disposable varnish brush to apply this mixture to the inside of the mould...good idea to get yourself a box of latex gloves to use when fibreglassing too.Adding a gelcoat really helps avoid air bubbles on the surface of your finished article as well as making an easily sandable surface finish.

Remember also that fibreglass doesn't like cold weather,the hotter the day the faster it'll set.

After the gelcoat is set add a layer of polyester resin+catalyst(You'll usually notice a colour change in the resin from greenish blue to brown as the catalyst starts working) with either chopped strand mat(CSM) or woven glass reinforcing-this can be added one half at a time to avoid having wet resin dripping on your hand as you try and do all sides.I pre-cut my chopped strand mat into smallish oblongs(2" by 4") and layed them up in the mould.One the resin penetrates the CSM it can be easily meshed with neighbouring pieces using the brush and stippling will remove air bubbles from the fibreglass.

On a warm day the resin can be set in 15-20mins so a quick build up of all sides can be done in a couple of hours.

Acetone is used for clean ups and don't do it indoors unless you want your house to smell like fibreglass for a month :eek:

I was using about 500ml/1pint of resin overall for my larger components(chest/back armour,helmet,greaves) so they're about 3mm thick
[snapback]1159534[/snapback]​
[/b]
Hi,
Thanks your help, your explanation is pretty much help me out.
But how can I clean up the brush used for working for the resin? And, how much car body filler did I need to use to mix the reins when making the gel coat??
Beside from car body filler, I heard other people using other subtance for mixing up with resin to make the gel coat, what's the different them and which will have a better result for finish touch for the surface??(for sanding and painting purpose).
Lee

Ultraseven

I have another question.
Because I make a two part mold for the helmet (front & rear).
Which way will have a much better result & easlier, when I making the fiberglass work (combined the two part mold together? Or just just working with them apart, then after I finised the job, stick together them?)
Lee