Fiberglass Helmet Complete! (pic intensive)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by jorusfett, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jorusfett

jorusfett Active Member

Here is something that I ordered that is looking amazing. I decided to go with the distressed look of the helmet, the way it was on screen.

This is a fiberglass TE helmet that has the look of the "Set for Stun" Stormtrooper.

These pictures are from the first stage of painting and it is already breathtaking. :D

Enjoy the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SamaGod likes this.
  2. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't wait to have one.
    Thats looking awesome

3. trooper70

trooper70 Active Member

It looks great but I have to admit it's a shame about the one piece construction with molded ears and brow strip unlike the original it was scanned from :unsure

And apparently the machine that made it wasn't able to reproduce it accurately enough to get the bumps on the cap/backpiece either so it ended up having to miss them off and have a smooth finish instead...

I think I still prefer the other TE2 helmet with bumps, warts an' all for super accuracy, but this one looks nice too, as an ornamental display or something :)

4. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

wow, it looks amazing. real cool helmet. :thumbsup ;)

5. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1264620[/snapback]</div>
    I'm afraid you're incorrect in just about every way. The helmet mold was cleaned for a sleeker look, and as it is the most accurate replica of a stormtrooper helmet, being a direct copy rather than an assembled one, there ain't no "oh well" about it.
    JJ

6. PMTrooper

PMTrooper Active Member

very sharp details
    but i personally would go for the TE2 plastik bucket for a accurate trooper helmet
    this one is a absolute 1:1 copy of the outer shape of a screen used one
    but i missed the nice ears and imo even the brow trim didn`t look real

it´s a nice collecting item if you love the experts work

7. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Can't wait to see it finished up, love the TE helmets :)

8. Spankuh

Spankuh Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 20 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]1264766[/snapback]</div>
    I'm afraid you're incorrect in just about every way. The helmet mold was cleaned for a sleeker look, and as it is the most accurate replica of a stormtrooper helmet, being a direct copy rather than an assembled one, there ain't no "oh well" about it.
    JJ
    [/b][/quote]

While the detail level is amazing, the original ANH helmets were assembled and not one piece items. The brow trim was a seperate piece of rubber and not molded into the helmet.

I don't think anyone is knocking these helmets - it's just a matter of personal preference.

HH

9. trooper70

trooper70 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>

Incorrect in every way??

Sorry, is it not a one piece costruction unlike the original it was scanned from?

Are the ears not molded to the helmet?

Is the brow strip not part of the same one-piece mold?

ARE those original bumps present?

Do I not prefer the other, plastic TE2 helmet?

Please, tell me which of these is incorrect :)

10. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I say it's all up to personal preference.
    But just like SDS, it's when you go and say "it's the most accurate replica" (even when speaking about the outer surface) that gets you into trouble and causes people to chime in and set the record straight.
    To date, I've still never seen anything produced that comes close to the last versions of stunt/hero that I did. Aside from another direct molding from the interior of a different screen used helmet, there is no way you can.

11. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

12. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1264953[/snapback]</div>

Please, tell me which of these is incorrect :)
    [/b][/quote]
    About the machine's ability, any part of it being a "shame" and any cracks implying, well anything :) But hey, what do I know? ;)
    JJ

13. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 21 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]1265087[/snapback]</div>
    I need to build me one of those. :p

14. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]1264620[/snapback]</div>
    I agree... it's very nice as a.... um, paperweight perhaps. But unless it's made from vac-formed plastic and assembled in the same way as the original helmets, then it can't really be considered as "better than anything else out there" (TE's words)

And I remember a few years back GF was criticised for 'cleaning up' his ANH helmet moulds, so I'm a little confused as to why this 'ultimate' trooper helmet should be produced from cleaned up moulds?

Curiouser and curiouser ???? :unsure

Cheers,
    John

15. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I thought GF went as far as reshaping and sanitizing parts. Not including bumps is minor cleanup in my eyes.

16. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 21 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1265253[/snapback]</div>
    Not if what you seek is ubber accuracy.

17. Stormtrooper

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 21 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1265253[/snapback]</div>
    Not including bumps and sanitizing *is* the same thing... in my eyes ;)

I wasn't aware that GF had reshaped anything though?

Cheers,
    John

18. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ Jun 21 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]1265267[/snapback]</div>

The cap and back :confused

It's very characteristic on GF' helmets.

19. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 21 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]1265087[/snapback]</div>
    GREAT REPLY. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
    @ GINO
    your helmet is amazing. i´m proud to be a new owner of one of your helmets. :thumbsup

20. trooper70

trooper70 Active Member

The cap and back

It's very characteristic on GF' helmets.[/b][/quote]

So true, not enough downwards swoop at the rear amongst other things.
    The AP helmet suffers from exactly the same problems too. When I bought my AP suit & helmet I didn't notice it.

Then I did.

Then it started to annoy me.

THEN it got to the point where all I saw were those innaccuracies, so i had to sell it in order to get a TE2 suit & helmet (vac-formed plastic proper version :) )

I think this quest for ever increasing accuracy will only end when my bank balance is at zero :lol

21. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

Has anyone noticed when looking at the helmet, on our right, there is an indent for that 5th frown hole, yet on the left, there is no indentation......

:confused

CM

22. Studio Stasis

I guess i'm just biased because I got to actually hold and wear the real TE2 "set for stun" helmet. I saw the prototype that was made from it and it perfectly reminded me of the shape and size and sharpness of detail that I drooled over on the original TE2. I am stunned by how nice the helmet looks. I dont care if the parts are molded on. I think it is better because it doesnt have all of the tells of a second generation vaccuform casting that all of the other styrene and ABS helmets have had that I've owned. I got to put my TE1 replica helmet next to the TE2 in person and even take some photos of them together. The difference was huge in my opinion. This casting is the one thing that makes me feel like the original did. If I had one of these I could probably saw off the ears and do some major work to the sides of the helmet, then reattach the ears to match the vaccuform style versions. The brow doesnt matter to me unless i wanted to alter the orientation of it on the helmet, but I always loved the way this one looks.
    I cant wait to see one finished.

23. redeye

redeye Well-Known Member

That's a great looking helmet :thumbsup

24. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

"I got to put my TE1 replica helmet next to the TE2 in person and even take some photos of them together. The difference was huge in my opinion. "

Could you post some of those shots.

CM

25. Studio Stasis

<div class='quotetop'>(FalconV8 @ Jun 22 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]1265891[/snapback]</div>

Originally, I was told that I could take photos but not to go posting them at the request of the future owner, which purchased the helmet that day from TE. I can ask TE if he would allow me to post a few of the comparisons but keep in mind, they were not taken with huge care as to placement or angle to show a perfect side by side comparison. I just had the opportunity to take some snap shots. I'll post if i'm given permission to.

26. Prop Nut...

Prop Nut... Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(animetronic @ Jun 22 2006, 09:37 PM) [snapback]1266408[/snapback]</div>

Originally, I was told that I could take photos but not to go posting them at the request of the future owner, which purchased the helmet that day from TE. I can ask TE if he would allow me to post a few of the comparisons but keep in mind, they were not taken with huge care as to placement or angle to show a perfect side by side comparison. I just had the opportunity to take some snap shots. I'll post if i'm given permission to.
    [/b][/quote]

Oooh Pics PLEASE.

27. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OK, this thread is kinda * me off. I dont know if its the subject matter or the booze at such a late hour. somebody please email me at Lear60man@aol.com and post some pics for me of my totally compleate (interior with electronics) TE helmet. I would love a fiberglass copy...... It can withstand abuse and is better to handle upgrades, electronics. I dont get the "have to have the star cut foam liner and green visor because its what was used on the original' crap. Seriously, the fiberglass helmet in the first post is accurate and great, If you dont have the talent or cash to do something better go back to the Pokemon forums and your paper route.

Chris

28. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I think it's the booze.

29. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree, much less agro tonight. Great helmet I am looking for one in fiberglass.

30. TonyRB

TonyRB Well-Known Member

Well ignoring the other stuff, it's going to look the dogz nads when finished.

31. Stormtrooper

So has anyone signed up for one of these 'display pieces' yet?

Call me cynical, but I don't think we'll be seeing a pile of SDS, Authenticprops, Gino helmets in the Junkyard just yet... :p

Cheers,
    John

32. Jaintly

Jaintly Active Member

It's a nice 'display piece' that's for sure. It's a Gentle GIANT.

33. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ Jul 10 2006, 05:49 AM) [snapback]1277843[/snapback]</div>
    Odd, it fits great for a display piece :) To each their own.....
    JJ

34. Stormtrooper

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jul 10 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]1278119[/snapback]</div>
    Precisely... I just can't think of it as a Stormtrooper helmet because it is moulded as a single piece.
    But maybe I'm just too picky... after all, some people bought the singlepiece fibreglass Don Post Deluxe trooper 'helmet' :confused

Cheers,
    John

35. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Why all the *' and moanin'? It's a replica, just like 99.9% of the stuff out there. It is just made differently.

36. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ Jul 11 2006, 03:46 AM) [snapback]1278493[/snapback]</div>
    :confused
    O...............k. A helmet is a hard object that covers the head. Just uh, so you know.

Got me, Clutch, all I hear is "hate hate hate hate hate hate hate" ;)
    JJ

37. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

All I see is a direct replica of a very specific helmet used in filming. This is not supposed to be a generic "put it together yourself to resemble the helmet you want" kinda helmet. I've seen many fiberglass one-piece stormtrooper lids on eBay, but these are all copies of existing "have to put together helmets" and has no ties to an exact, identified screen used helmet, afaik.

For that alone, this helmet is unigue. Not assembled - not as close as assembly could permit to the real helmet - but the EXACT shape and assembly to the real helmet. Of course, some corners were cut and some shaping was apparently required - it doesn't have the extreme details that people apparently want and it has a few minor discrepancies, but nothing to really detract from the overall helmet, imo.

I think it's an extremely nice looking helmet that has a very specific look to it and ties directly to the real helmet.

Though, I'm more of an ABS guy myself, but I can still appreciate this helmet for what it is.

Just my 2 cents.

38. Stormtrooper

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jul 13 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]1279809[/snapback]</div>
    Well thanks for clearing that up JJ...but you're taking my comment out of context :rolleyes
    I said that I didn't consider it as a Stormtrooper helmet... perhaps I should have said that I can't consider it as a true replica of a Stormtroooper helmet. ie. it's not made from 4 pieces of vac-form plastic like the originals were.
    It's a nice-looking helmet, but comments like this:

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 20 2006, 11:39 PM) [snapback]1264766[/snapback]</div>
    ....are simply not true. You can sing it's praises all day long, but nothing will alter this fact.... sorry.
    I'd like to see some pics of one of Matt's helmets finsihed - some of the $200 fibreglass helmets on eBay are pretty nice looking too, so I've no doubt that there is a market for these things...

No "*' and moanin'" here....just voicing my opinion.... if opinions hadn't been voiced about replica Stormtrooper helmet accuracy over the years, then the bar wouldn't have been raised to where it is today :)

Cheers,
    John

39. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ Jul 13 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]1279879[/snapback]</div>
    Well said... well said. :)

40. ShocKWavE

ShocKWavE New Member

Nice. /edit to avoid conflict.

41. BLAST

BLAST Well-Known Member

I've got one of TE's ABS trooper helmets from a few years ago, and I love it, but I have to say, I really like that too. I know it's not "accurately" constructed, but for trooping? Having a FG helmet that won't yellow like ABS sounds pretty appealing.

Looking great man.

42. Studio Stasis

I think when I get one of the Fiberglass helmets im going to dremel the ears off and build up the sides of the helmet to be like the Styrene ones are before their ears are added. Then I'll take the fiberglass ears and attach them, leaving gaps to simulate the normal plastic helmet construction. As far as the brow of the helmet, once painted a rubber color it wont be obvious even at point blank range that its not rubber. You'd have to touch it to know the difference. The only thing that I dont think will ever be present are the tiny seams right above the ears where the cap and back meet, at the end of the brow trim on each side. I can live with that. I love the detail.

43. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

You are a brave man. I can imagine cutting that fiberglass is gonna be messy.

44. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Aug 7 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1295452[/snapback]</div>

yeah, i thought that maybe someone could do that... but why? :unsure

and you might end up regretting it, because you probably arent going to be able to make it perfect, and anything less will ruin it. :confused

why dont you just get an ABS80 kit and make it look like the TE FG one?

i think that would be a cheaper easier and safer route.

45. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(animetronic @ Aug 7 2006, 02:58 AM) [snapback]1295379[/snapback]</div>

But aren't the ear's hollow? I doubt they are solid? If you cut into them wouldn't you have a big opening in the casting? You would still need a surface on which to put the ears...if they are solid there then sure you could dremel them down to a shape like the original without ears...

46. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I think he means that he will fill the gaps when he says build up the sides.

47. Studio Stasis

Thanks Clutch, that is what I meant. I would be left with big holes where the ears were. I would have to mend the sides and make it look like a styrene helmet that has no ears on it. THEN I would either add strene ears or the fiberglass ears to simulate the gaps that every helmet has. I dont particularly like the gaps, I just want to see if it can be done to make a fiberglass pass for a plastic one. Everyones panties get in a bunch about the construction of the fiberglass helmets and it really doesnt matter if you cant tell the difference. If I were to get the helmet look idential to a plastic one, I wonder if anyone could tell?
    Anyway, the reason I dont get an ABS80 helmet is because they are very sanitized looking and they are lacking loads and loads of the detail and sharpness that is present in the FG helmet. I dont think people even know this but the FG one is also almost an inch larger than the styrene helmets if you were to measure around the crown just above the brow trim. The weird thing is that the brow trim is not larger. The helmet itself is like the size of the helmet that it came from. I held my old ESB styrene helmet next to the TE2 screen used "set for stun" helmet and the differences were outrageous in both size and detail loss from one generation to the next. Theres only so much that a vaccuform table can do I think. Having the FG one reminds me of what the screen used one looked like in person. I will see if TE will let me post some pics that I took in August 2003 when I was allowed to compare my helmet to the real deal in person. I also got to wear the real deal, which was mucho fun. Here is a photo of me holding it and one of me wearing it. I've posted these photos before, so I know its okay. Im sorry these are so huge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

48. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

what a piece of junk.

:p

thats awesome.

now are you saying the original is different in size to say a TE2? i know there has to be some detail loss... but yeah...

and to me the FG, just doesnt look as much like the one your holding as a TE 2 would... ill wait and see when your finished though.

oh and ive been in the presence of the move along bucket so... nah nah nah. :p

LOL.

for what the ABS80s are i think its fair to say that they retain more sharpness than one would think you could get... i also think its safe to say that for the price, they are a great deal. 100% accurate... NO.

but then again compared to 90% of the 501st and there standard FX... id reather have an ABS 80.

so whats the word on the FG availability? (PM me)

49. Studio Stasis

Im sorry that my statements were hard to decipher. What I mean is that the FG helmet is sized similar to the Set For Stun original helmet. Every common styrene helmet seems to be a little smaller. When I put my styrene and the set for stun helmet next to eachother they had the same size brow but everything on the helmet seemed to have more size to it and the helmet had sharpness in areas that none of the styrene helmets have had. That's probably due to the method of the pulls, I dont know. Pretty much everything originated from TE's first helmet and it had been cut down smaller when assembled. I think it all just boils down to having two totally different master helmets to replicate. The styrene helmets came from the first screen used TE helmet and the FG helmet comes from the second TE helmet. They weren't the same to begin with so that may be why my styrene helmet didnt even really match the second TE helmet in person. If the styrene helmet had been a replica of the second TE helmet, that would have been easier to make comparisons from, but its not. Comparing the FG replica of the second TE helmet to my styrene helmets is like comparing the second TE helmet to my styrene when I compared them originally.

The only comment that confuses me is this...
    "and to me the FG, just doesnt look as much like the one your holding as a TE 2 would"
    The TE2 is a replica of TE's first helmet. I already had my TE helmet with me when I held this original helmet and the side by side comparison of them was pretty drastic. I have one painted styrene and two glossy styrene helmets from TE and none of them match the FG or the original helmet that i'm holding in that pic. I am on a mission to show you what I mean now, using pictures. The way it breaks down is-

TE and Gino/CRProps styrene helmets - match the first TE screen used helmet in size and possibly lack a bit of detail due to vaccuforming/molding sharpness loss.

TE fiberglass replica - matches the Set For Stun helmet in size and detail because thats not only its original source but it is made in a way that even matches its assembly trimming and angles because it was never taken apart.

This doesn't reflect the surface bumps and all that, im just making a statement about the size of things and how different these two screen used source helmets were to begin with. Remember the "move along" helmet and the "stop that ship" helmet? Those had very different sharpnesses and overall shape as well. I really wish I had some closeup measurments of the second TE helmet because the FG version illustrated to me how different in size it was from my styrene helmet, which I already thought when I saw it in person.

I agree about the ABS80 helmets, they are great looking for an idealized helmet. I'd even take one over an SDS. I think someday when I'm rich I will buy one for everyone in the 501st so I dont have to see anymore AFX helmets, haha.

Also im not gloating about holding or wearing the "set for stun" helmet, I just know that everyone here can relate to that little moment in your life when you've reached a point when you come face to face with something you never thought you'd ever see in person without a thick piece of glass between you and the item and LFL watching to make sure you didnt touch it. I have high hopes that the FG helmet will look like the "set for stun" helmet to my eye when completed.

If anyone has photos of one of the fiberglass helmets, id love to see some pics of measurments of areas of the helmet to compare to the styrene helmets I have. Im almost certain there is a significant difference.

Josh

50. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

alrighty then.

i was being a little candid, and i think you didnt pick up on that. :confused

i think it looks great and will look great.

but maybe its the fact there are no seams, i dont know, but if you look at a Gino stunt...

theres just something about the look of the FG that seems a tad off, but it is a pic and its not finished so...

ill just wait and see.

dont get me wrong id take one in a heartbeat. :love

i guess i just wish that there woulda been a way to dismantle the original, scan it, and somehow make the deffinative TK molds with it... as opposed to scanning the whole thing and churning out solid one piece buckets...

i know what your saying about how its perfect to the look of the construction of that particular seen on screen helmet... and i cant wait to see the finished product.

so stop trying to make a point and finish that bad boy already. :p :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.