Fiberglass Helmet Complete! (pic intensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorusfett

Here is something that I ordered that is looking amazing. I decided to go with the distressed look of the helmet, the way it was on screen.

This is a fiberglass TE helmet that has the look of the "Set for Stun" Stormtrooper.

These pictures are from the first stage of painting and it is already breathtaking. :D

Enjoy the pics.

setforstunpaint1.jpg

setforstunpaint2.jpg

setforstunpaint3.jpg

setforstunpaint4.jpg

It looks great but I have to admit it's a shame about the one piece construction with molded ears and brow strip unlike the original it was scanned from :unsure

And apparently the machine that made it wasn't able to reproduce it accurately enough to get the bumps on the cap/backpiece either so it ended up having to miss them off and have a smooth finish instead...

I think I still prefer the other TE2 helmet with bumps, warts an' all for super accuracy, but this one looks nice too, as an ornamental display or something :)

<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1264620[/snapback]</div>
It looks great but I have to admit it's a shame about the one piece construction with molded ears and brow strip unlike the original it was scanned from :unsure

And apparently the machine that made it wasn't able to reproduce it accurately enough to get the bumps on the cap/backpiece either so it ended up having to miss them off and have a smooth finish instead...

[/b]
I'm afraid you're incorrect in just about every way. The helmet mold was cleaned for a sleeker look, and as it is the most accurate replica of a stormtrooper helmet, being a direct copy rather than an assembled one, there ain't no "oh well" about it.
JJ

very sharp details
but i personally would go for the TE2 plastik bucket for a accurate trooper helmet
this one is a absolute 1:1 copy of the outer shape of a screen used one
but i missed the nice ears and imo even the brow trim didn`t look real

it´s a nice collecting item if you love the experts work

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 20 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]1264766[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1264620[/snapback]

[/b]
I'm afraid you're incorrect in just about every way. The helmet mold was cleaned for a sleeker look, and as it is the most accurate replica of a stormtrooper helmet, being a direct copy rather than an assembled one, there ain't no "oh well" about it.
JJ
[/b][/quote]

While the detail level is amazing, the original ANH helmets were assembled and not one piece items. The brow trim was a seperate piece of rubber and not molded into the helmet.

I don't think anyone is knocking these helmets - it's just a matter of personal preference.

HH

<div class='quotetop'></div>
(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:56 PM)

It looks great but I have to admit it's a shame about the one piece construction with molded ears and brow strip unlike the original it was scanned from

And apparently the machine that made it wasn't able to reproduce it accurately enough to get the bumps on the cap/backpiece either so it ended up having to miss them off and have a smooth finish instead...[/b]

JJ[/b]

Incorrect in every way??

Sorry, is it not a one piece costruction unlike the original it was scanned from?

Are the ears not molded to the helmet?

Is the brow strip not part of the same one-piece mold?

ARE those original bumps present?

Do I not prefer the other, plastic TE2 helmet?

Please, tell me which of these is incorrect :)

I say it's all up to personal preference.
But just like SDS, it's when you go and say "it's the most accurate replica" (even when speaking about the outer surface) that gets you into trouble and causes people to chime in and set the record straight.
To date, I've still never seen anything produced that comes close to the last versions of stunt/hero that I did. Aside from another direct molding from the interior of a different screen used helmet, there is no way you can.

<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1264953[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>
(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:56 PM)

It looks great but I have to admit it's a shame about the one piece construction with molded ears and brow strip unlike the original it was scanned from

And apparently the machine that made it wasn't able to reproduce it accurately enough to get the bumps on the cap/backpiece either so it ended up having to miss them off and have a smooth finish instead...[/b]

Please, tell me which of these is incorrect :)
[/b][/quote]
About the machine's ability, any part of it being a "shame" and any cracks implying, well anything :) But hey, what do I know? ;)
JJ

<div class='quotetop'>(trooper70 @ Jun 20 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]1264620[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

I agree... it's very nice as a.... um, paperweight perhaps. But unless it's made from vac-formed plastic and assembled in the same way as the original helmets, then it can't really be considered as "better than anything else out there" (TE's words)

And I remember a few years back GF was criticised for 'cleaning up' his ANH helmet moulds, so I'm a little confused as to why this 'ultimate' trooper helmet should be produced from cleaned up moulds?

Curiouser and curiouser ???? :unsure

Cheers,
John

I thought GF went as far as reshaping and sanitizing parts. Not including bumps is minor cleanup in my eyes.

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 21 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1265253[/snapback]</div>
I thought GF went as far as reshaping and sanitizing parts. Not including bumps is minor cleanup in my eyes.
[/b]

Not if what you seek is ubber accuracy.

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 21 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1265253[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

Not including bumps and sanitizing *is* the same thing... in my eyes ;)

I wasn't aware that GF had reshaped anything though?

Cheers,
John

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ Jun 21 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]1265267[/snapback]</div>

Cheers,
John
[/b]

The cap and back :confused

It's very characteristic on GF' helmets.

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 21 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]1265087[/snapback]</div>

GREAT REPLY. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
@ GINO
your helmet is amazing. i´m proud to be a new owner of one of your helmets. :thumbsup

(Stormtrooper @ Jun 21 2006, 06:56 PM)

Cheers,
John<div class='quotetop'>
The cap and back

It's very characteristic on GF' helmets.[/b][/quote]

So true, not enough downwards swoop at the rear amongst other things.
The AP helmet suffers from exactly the same problems too. When I bought my AP suit & helmet I didn't notice it.

Then I did.

Then it started to annoy me.

THEN it got to the point where all I saw were those innaccuracies, so i had to sell it in order to get a TE2 suit & helmet (vac-formed plastic proper version :) )

I think this quest for ever increasing accuracy will only end when my bank balance is at zero :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back