Alright, I'm turning this thread into an ESB EE-3 Found Parts build.

Just got an original Renwal 1960 Visible V8 model kit. All that I really needed were 2 of the 8 connecting rods. I'm hoping to be able to trade the other 6 for some other found parts.

IMG_1853.jpg

True. At the moment, at least in terms of acurite hole size and placement on the tube, I think the Parks Sabers MPP tube is the best fit for Boba EE-3’s in place of a vintage unit, at least until we get a V2 MPP from Roman or if someone else decides make one.
Literally the only thing wrong with Romans is that one stupid hole... and maybe the discoloration to the plating around the holes (this seems to have progressively tarnished more and more on my ESB Vader hilt for some reason?). Everything else is absolutely perfect about it, especially the engravings which look absolutely beautiful, wheres the engravings are the major weak point for me with the Parks tube

When referring to a "Parks" saber, does this mean the "Disney Parks" saber? I see a lot of references to "Parks" sabers and that is the only conclusion I can make based on my searches. Do we have any images or disassemblies of the Disney Parks saber to analyze the flash tube?

I recently got a Romans MPP as a place holder but I'm curious about these "Parks" sabers and would love to see some comparisons or at least just photo's of the tube and all it's holes.

Jeff Parks ran Parks Sabers from the early 90s through today. You’d probably know his newer work as the sabers Korbanth sells.

Ok thanks for the clarity! I've seen Korbanth sabers in my searches but nothing specifically "Parks" and with the new release of the "Disney Parks" sabers this could be a common confusion, especially for a saber novice like me.

It looks to me like the Jeff Parks mpp tubes do not have the engravings. Is this accurate?

I'm also very interested if anyone has done a break down of the Disney Parks mpp tube. If the holes and engravings are correct to a true mpp.

Korbanth is just a reseller of Jeff Parks' designs, I believe. Jeff Parks has been making lightsaber replicas for at least 20 years (no, LONGER than that. Like teecrooz said, early 90s, I first saw his work in the mid 90s), so I'm guessing he came up with all the current fan-made FX ready hilt kits that Korbanth sells (Graflex 2.0, MPP 2.0, Crossguard, K4, OWK, etc.), but I could be wrong.

As for the "Disney Parks", if it's the same as the old Master Replicas FX or Hasbro FX (which are essentially the same), then the tube is slightly too large in diameter. Originally I was gonna use a torn-down old MR FX tube, but really didn't want to alter it (by turning down the diameter of all that would be inserted into the barrel on the lathe) or the printed barrel (sanding until Doomsday) that much, which is why I opted for the Synchronar for my printed build. A Heiland 2 cell is also a great placeholder. I would've used one of those, but my Synchronar was the cheapest.

I do realize my Heiland is not oriented correctly, as an MPP should be, but since it's a printed replica, and I'm not as concerned for accuracy in some areas, I went the aesthetic route in some places. The holes don't match up well enough to an MPP in my opinion, to be convincing to the trained eye.

Like you say, my stock is WAY too dark! In my thread where I show this thing off (and there are lots more pics there), I think I do mention that. It was my first try at faking a wood finish with paint on plastic. I do plan to go back and refinish my stock. It was done with a light tan base, then brown washes. Lots of brown washes. The very last wash, I was like, "Oops! I think that might be too dark. Oh, well. If it is, I'll fix it later.". :lol:

And yes, the stock is also printed, in two parts, and I inserted two lengths of 5/16" steel rod connecting the two halves. Then I used a ton of Bondo to get it smoothed out.

The scope is real, it's an ASI, and those are NOT tall feet on the mounts in those pics, but I have since found some! It's the ONLY set I've seen so far in my searching, and I've been searching pretty good for a while!

Are you saying I need to weather the scope, or the entire blaster? I kinda like where the "Webley" is at right now, but if you mean the scope, I think you're right. The real ESB scope was painted a flattish black, correct? I'd have to look back at some reference. The printed Molex connectors could probably use a few scratches here and there, too.

Here's a few more pics of my printed blaster (I did have a different scope on there for a minute, I'm not sure at what point I switched it out for the ASI) and some closer shots of the overly dark stock...

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot to say, I started out with a fully printed MPP tube, which actually WAS correctly oriented! It was ridiculous looking, though, and needed to be replaced ASAP! There's no real substitute for real chrome plating, there just isn't, and that's what helps sell my attempt to pass something that's mostly plastic off as something that's much more substantial.
1026181743.jpg
1026181744a.jpg
1026181745.jpg
1110181519c.jpg
1028181512a.jpg
1028181510.jpg
1028181509.jpg
1110181517.jpg

ANOTHER EDIT: Oh man, I just remembered this awesome custom lightsaber hilt I used to have that was made by Jeff Parks! It was like a cross between a Graflex and an Obi-Wan. Such a cool design. Stupidly sold it off years and years ago. I need to find some pictures of it!

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my Parks MPP. It came as a kit that I assembled.

Dann, I first came across Parks in Go Figure! magazine. I wanted one of his sabers so badly. The Shadow saber was one of my favorites.

Attachments

• DF12C6DA-F4B6-43EA-B07D-C9B18EBE0CAB.jpeg
    DF12C6DA-F4B6-43EA-B07D-C9B18EBE0CAB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
  • E1FA276E-A218-4DA9-8813-6CA6C979BE3D.jpeg
    E1FA276E-A218-4DA9-8813-6CA6C979BE3D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 256
  • E3FCFD68-2AD1-4BDF-8B9D-79D06D0B5561.jpeg
    E3FCFD68-2AD1-4BDF-8B9D-79D06D0B5561.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 283
  • C54403C3-8E78-46A0-B42B-503A5BDF1B6B.jpeg
    C54403C3-8E78-46A0-B42B-503A5BDF1B6B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 263
  • CF1E98D9-ED50-4AB1-A756-C0AE25168E63.jpeg
    CF1E98D9-ED50-4AB1-A756-C0AE25168E63.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 283
  • 17054CCE-406F-48DD-9EBA-012B75B31D0E.jpeg
    17054CCE-406F-48DD-9EBA-012B75B31D0E.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 263
I've got a Larbel MPP. Remember Larbel??!!

I had his first replica TPM Obi-Wan, with the "Plasma Blade"!

And as far as the old Parks saber goes, mine was called the Shadow (pictured in the middle below). I remember the "Graflex pin socket" and those four little black oval details were simply stickers! Man, this is an OLD photo...
custom-sabers.jpg

Parks also came up with the Mara Jade design, as well, iirc.
star-wars-expanded-universe-parks_1_9cb717387422a30b5cba0ccf449d4595.jpg
MaraEHSM.jpg

He also made another cool design I really liked, called the Defiance. I think this was during the EL blade days...
jeff-parks-defiance-lightsaber-star-wars-prop_1_f99fbd1db84702cdb2f8106efe1c286b.jpg

And I'm so sorry for derailing your thread, sir!!

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my Parks MPP. It came as a kit that I assembled.

Dann, I first came across Parks in Go Figure! magazine. I wanted one of his sabers so badly. The Shadow saber was one of my favorites.

Haha!! We both found that same old picture!!

I honestly don't remember what introduced me to his work, it must've been around 1997, maybe at a comic book store.... My memory kinda stinks.

And again, SORRY for the derail, Fettastic!!

I’m doing a all vintage EE-3 as well. I was lucky enough to acquire another vintage MPP for it thanks to a fellow RPF member who had one to spare. Assembly should be done here fairly soon.

I took this pic shortly before the Unimax failsafe switch discovery was made public, so that red 3D printed greeble will be subed out for the real deal.

94F9528D-0096-4F6C-B74D-2CB496F4D133.jpeg

Yes, sorry for the derail!

I do have a Larbel that is missing some parts that I can send you to use as a placeholder Fettastic. Just PM me if you are interested and I can get you some pictures.

I believe the Larbel has the same issue as the one Roman sells since that’s actually where Roman got the incorrect hole size from if I remember right (he wasn’t able to disassemble the vintage MPP he had on hand so used the Larbel for reference on hole sizes underneath the button section I believe is what he said).
The new Korbanth MPP’s dont have the engravings next to the holes sadly as I think these are meant more to be idealized fantasy FX sabers more than actual prop replicas, but the old (Jeff) Parks MPP hilts do have them along with the correct hole sizes if you’re able to find one.

Last edited:
So after removing the trigger and bulb release housing on what I thought was my Larbel MPP, I was surprised (pleasantly) to find that I've actually got a Parks replica! All the correct size holes.

Part of me kinda wishes I did have a Larbel, though, just for the memories. Back in '99, he and I had A TON of back and forth (PM) discussion about his Obi-Wan TPM replica, while he was designing it/drawing it up in CAD. I sold that old "Plasma Blade" hilt around 2001 (was in college, needed money). He was a really nice guy, I wonder what happened to him.

So, Fettastic, any updates good sir??

So after removing the trigger and bulb release housing on what I thought was my Larbel MPP, I was surprised (pleasantly) to find that I've actually got a Parks replica! All the correct size holes.

Part of me kinda wishes I did have a Larbel, though, just for the memories. Back in '99, he and I had A TON of back and forth (PM) discussion about his Obi-Wan TPM replica, while he was designing it/drawing it up in CAD. I sold that old "Plasma Blade" hilt around 2001 (was in college, needed money). He was a really nice guy, I wonder what happened to him.

So, Fettastic, any updates good sir??

Yes, I recently discovered that the Parks replica mpp has the correct size holes and correct engravings. This seems like the best placeholder to an actual mpp. Crrently I have a romans on the way and a Parks in the works. As far as found parts I have a few things en route and that will be updated very very soon :)

How are you fixing the stock greebles, really don't want to mess up my stock.

I have a replica stock in the works that I will be attaching the greeblies to. Planning on storing the original stock and not attaching anything to it. It just doesn't feel right.

Cool! Wood? What kinda wood?

I sure wouldn't mind real wood, but I'd need at least an aluminum grip-to-stock D bracket, first!

Which reminds me, I redid my stock the other day, it's lighter (in color/shade) now, but not too light.

Cool! Wood? What kinda wood?

I sure wouldn't mind real wood, but I'd need at least an aluminum grip-to-stock D bracket, first!

Which reminds me, I redid my stock the other day, it's lighter (in color/shade) now, but not too light.

Yes, It will be walnut just like the original stock.

Yeah a reinforced d-bracket would be essential if you upgrade to a wood stock.

Nice! Have any pictures of your progress?

I don't know if this is common knowledge by now, but I remember that few years ago when I assembled my EE-3 blaster I realized that for outmost accuracy the MPP has to be altered and two extra holes need to be drilled through it in order to match the reference pictures.
The two 'mistery holes' are located at the end of the MPP and facing downwards (located on the bottom 'face' of the tube).

17059143838_39029cac94_b-jpg.jpg

17039487377_d64f29a02d_b-jpg.jpg

At the time it seemed pretty new to everyone.

I took some progress pics, but haven't gotten around to posting them, yet.

I think it still turned out a little too dark, but at least it's not as dark as it was.

I don't know if this is common knowledge by now, but I remember that few years ago when I assembled my EE-3 blaster I realized that for outmost accuracy the MPP has to be altered and two extra holes need to be drilled through it in order to match the reference pictures.
The two 'mistery holes' are located at the end of the MPP and facing downwards (located on the bottom 'face' of the tube).

View attachment 977779

View attachment 977780

At the time it seemed pretty new to everyone.

Yes, I remember this coming up a while ago. I remember some people believing them to be indented or divots and not holes but I personally think it's pretty clear they were in fact extra holes that were added for whatever reason.

Did you make that flash tube yourself? If so you did a really really good job with your hole placement!

Also, for "outmost accuracy" shouldn't the B-Port hole on the "top face" be the large B-Port hole and not the smaller version?
black and white fett Large B-port 1.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back