Fallout 76

And honestly, the email doesn't make me any happier. This was preordered MONTHS ago. They could have easily shipped these early (as many actually did), since the game's launch online wouldn't go live until release day. Unlike Fallout 4, everybody could have had their copy for a week before launch, and it wouldn't have mattered.

Anyways, again, if anybody wants to play a real Fallout game, download Fallout: New California. It's a free mod for New Vegas. I will admit that the game holds you captive a little longer in the beginning than actual Fallout games, but you do eventually get out and have a rather impressive map (and dangerous) to explore. I'm playing it right now and having a total blast.

This was preordered MONTHS ago. They could have easily shipped these early (as many actually did), since the game's launch online wouldn't go live until release day. Unlike Fallout 4, everybody could have had their copy for a week before launch, and it wouldn't have mattered.
Especially because they know how to do this. My girlfriend also ordered the collector's editions for Morrowind and Summerset for ESO, and had them by launch day. I wasn't excusing them, just hoping that might ameliorate things slightly for you.

I had just ordered the base game, but might try to upgrade to the Tricentennial Edition, because I'm a dork and like the Power Armor paint scheme and that seems to be the only way to get it. I was hoping to be able to purchase it in the store with Atoms.

And have you been following the development of Fallout: Cascadia? Being a Washington native, I've been a mix of hope and dread with it.

I have not. Is this a mod for FO4? I know there's a Miami based mod for FO4, and that looks pretty good from what I've seen. Haven't heard about Cascadia though.
Yes there is a Fallout 4 mod being worked on called Fallout: Cascadia... Fallout Cascadia Looks pretty damn good, but honestly im more excited about Fallout 4: NV mod...
As for F76, played the beta, and refunded the game, i just can't... Doesn't feel like a Fallout game at all for me. Quests are shallow, the engine is awful as it has always been...

I might try it after the allow private servers and mods. I don't know. How is the building in this compared to Fallout 4? It looks like it's made to be smaller vs. a whole settlement. I really liked building, after mods came out, in Fallout 4. I just finished another playthrough and made a museum to myself so my settlers could see how their founder built their community. lol

Why??? It's only going to be made by Bethesda. Unless they sell the IP, what do you expect to get at this point? Another Fallout 4? Screw that, you guys can have it.

Fallout died. It will be remembered.

I will only play a solo game. No other players allowed. I happen to have liked Fallout 4. It wasn't perfect by any means, but no games are. But yes, give me another Fallout 5 over Fallout 76 any day.

I happen to have liked Fallout 4. It wasn't perfect by any means, but no games are.

Would you not agree that FO4 was waaaaay watered down from it's previous entries? I mean, it's barely an RPG (I guess you do get to choose some things).

But, I will give you this. At least 4 wasn't a mindless cash grab, like 76. I'll agree on that for sure. At least it was wanted.

But you know what, it ain't all bad. They brought back the 10mm SMG from FO3. Now I can extract the model and make myself a prop of one. That, however, seems to be all this new game is good for.

Would you not agree that FO4 was waaaaay watered down from it's previous entries? I mean, it's barely an RPG (I guess you do get to choose some things).

But, I will give you this. At least 4 wasn't a mindless cash grab, like 76. I'll agree on that for sure. At least it was wanted.

But you know what, it ain't all bad. They brought back the 10mm SMG from FO3. Now I can extract the model and make myself a prop of one. That, however, seems to be all this new game is good for.

Every game is different. I've been playing Fallout since the first one and 76 is the first one I haven't bought, nor will I. The story in 4 kind of sucked, but the gameplay was just fine. 76 doesn't even really have a story, it's idiots running around shooting stuff and each other. Like all MMO-style games, you're no longer the hero, no longer the "lone wanderer". You're just "hero #653" standing in line to get to turn in a quest for a reward.

Hell no.

33 hours into the game now, I am happy with it. But it also fits my own personal playstyle, of exploring a massive world.
I even made my first mod for the game, a spoiler free map.

Yeah, ultimately I'm gonna play it. And if there is one thing I look forward to, it's playing with you guys. But I can't shake the feeling that Bethesda is sinking the ship here. Not so much the concept of an online game, but how totally piss poor of a job they look to be doing with it. A game with a serious identity crisis. Hopefully these things get worked out over time.

But soon enough, I'll be in there with you.

Every game is different. I've been playing Fallout since the first one and 76 is the first one I haven't bought, nor will I. The story in 4 kind of sucked, but the gameplay was just fine. 76 doesn't even really have a story, it's idiots running around shooting stuff and each other. Like all MMO-style games, you're no longer the hero, no longer the "lone wanderer". You're just "hero #653" standing in line to get to turn in a quest for a reward.

Hell no.

On a side note: Have you tried New California mod yet?

Ironically, all the way back to the original game, I wished there was some form of online co-op. The only thing I liked about the otherwise execrable Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was that you could do local multiplayer on your Xbox. As 3, NV, and 4 have all come out, I've wished more and more that there were multiplayer support...

...I've also wished cleared places would stay cleared, that the game options were smarter (I'm mainly looking at the endgames of 3 and 4, here), and, with the settlement-building of 4, that that aspect was handled better. I.e., why these places and not those? Why can't I set a work bench at any house or compound or military bunker I run across and clear? And I would have loved something like Zerg Creep in Starcraft -- only in a more ephemeral sense: The corridors between settlements become safe passage, and the more settlements you make/maintain, the more the influence spreads out from those nodes and lines. Couple that with non-infinitely-respawning Raiders and monsters, and maybe I'd feel like I was accomplishing more.

I keep coming back because I like the evolving story enough to grit my teeth through gameplay and bad-writing issues.

... would have loved something like Zerg Creep in Starcraft -- only in a more ephemeral sense: The corridors between settlements become safe passage, and the more settlements you make/maintain, the more the influence spreads out from those nodes and lines. Couple that with non-infinitely-respawning Raiders and monsters, and maybe I'd feel like I was accomplishing more...

Sadly, come end game, they need to be able to have the various factions still act like everything is on the line. and if you could literally rebuild the commonwealth into a safe, happy, well defended, nation... then I don't care how many synths the institute has, they're not a threat. And even the force of Brotherhood on that airship couldn't stand against the commonwealth on their own.

I do also get why they don't let you make everything super safe, and unite everything in 4, while the game map is a certain size, it's meant to replicate a larger world, that would be MUCH harder to tame, given the number of "settlements" and their scant populations. I mean, concord and Boston are a 15 minute walk apart in the game. it'd be a 6 hour hike in the real world.

That said, what I WOULD love, is a game where the purpose was a lot like you said. A "Fallout: Vault City" or "Fallout: Shady Sands", where the goal is that you are rebuilding society. the villain isn't some big baddy that needs a bullet in the head, it's the fact that the world is just a ****** place. You'd start with a home base area, be it a Vault, or a town, and your job is to accomplish things out in the wasteland, like securing large sources of materials like clearing a building or neighborhood, which allows your fellow residents to go scrap and scavenge there. The wider you spread your influence and your satellite settlements, the more you're able to institute your own "minutemen" style protection that actually WILL keep areas safe. add an option to just upgrade areas assassins creed style ("I don't care where the new fountain goes, just build one"), or to do it fallout 4 style, and that'd be a hell of a game.

So, I picked up 76 cause it looked like it was a good enough game that would actually allow me to just hop in and out, and play whenever I wanted, and for me, I was most after a new world to explore.

If you're on the fence at all, please read the spoiler, it only deals with things you learn in the first 30 or so minutes, once you leave the vault, and I believe will show that the world outside the vault is much more interesting than the trailers would have you think.
POSSIBLE SPOILERS ABOUT EVENTS THE FIRST FEW MINUTES OUTSIDE THE VAULT
I have to say one of my biggest "concerns" going into the game, was that I felt like a world devoid of humans, or where there was no sign of humans eking out a life, would be boring and bland, which is not the case in fallout 76. Because there ARE humans working to rebuild the wasteland! Well, there were. Why Bethesda chose to keep the nature of the world outside the vault a secret, I have no idea. Literally within the first few minutes of being outside of the vault, you know for a fact that there is/was an organisation that helped people with rebuilding society. A few minutes later, you're in their town, where they had built things back up, and it becomes clear that "something happened", which is the actual reason the game has no Human NPCs you speak to face to face. Not because there were never any more humans, but because there no longer are any more humans; which to me, completely changes the nature of the game. I'm very please that I'm exploring a damaged post war society, as opposed to just futsing off into the woods like the trailers and press releases would have you believe.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back