Facehugger stasis tank

RareBlueMonkey

I am doing initial research and preparing to build a facehugger stasis tank. I want to build a tank that is 3/4 to full-size (depending on the facehugger I end up with) and filled with liquid. I like the look of the one in the image I attached. The facehugger has a gray finish and bubbles on the surface. It makes it look very authentic. I’m confident that I can (figure out how to) build an appropriate tank and enclosure but I have questions about the actual facehugger.

Does anyone know how long (or if) a latex rubber facehugger would hold up in liquid? Is there something other than water that I should be considering?

I’ve seen a couple of stasis tank projects on here, but no large scale versions with liquid. If I am missing some thing please let me know.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 9D1ECEC8-87D1-454E-AB1A-F07E929B569E.jpeg
    9D1ECEC8-87D1-454E-AB1A-F07E929B569E.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 523
I built one years ago, used a Halcyon 1:1 facehugger which I coated with Envirotex clear resin to make it water proof....which actually worked. The only drawback to using this material is that it is a solid coating, meaning if you drop it, the coating might likely crack and/or break off. DO NOT put anything directly into water without some sort of water proofing! Even using just a coat of sealer won't o the trick, trust me! I tried it and after a few months, the paint job started to lift and peel off. The Envirotex worked great, you just can't drop it, but as long as you aren't taking the hugger out and playing with it, this shouldn't be a problem. :D

Allow me....

here are some 1:1 I built years ago.....and even one for my GI JOE!
Those are great! How have the facehuggers held up?

I built one years ago, used a Halcyon 1:1 facehugger which I coated with Envirotex clear resin to make it water proof....which actually worked. The only drawback to using this material is that it is a solid coating, meaning if you drop it, the coating might likely crack and/or break off. DO NOT put anything directly into water without some sort of water proofing! Even using just a coat of sealer won't o the trick, trust me! I tried it and after a few months, the paint job started to lift and peel off. The Envirotex worked great, you just can't drop it, but as long as you aren't taking the hugger out and playing with it, this shouldn't be a problem. :D
Great info. So you painted it and posed it the way you wanted before coating it with Envirotex? It sounds like the resin locks it in position.

That is brilliant. I love the idea of a digital control panel. And bubbles for sure!

Yep! Before I glued all the parts together, I made a wire armature and placed it inside to help the hugger keep it's pose, then assembled, glued ,painted then coated with Envirotex. I had the tube filled with water for 3 or 4 years with the hugger inside and only had a few areas where the painted started to lift....probably because I missed those spots with the clear resin.

Yep! Before I glued all the parts together, I made a wire armature and placed it inside to help the hugger keep it's pose, then assembled, glued ,painted then coated with Envirotex. I had the tube filled with water for 3 or 4 years with the hugger inside and only had a few areas where the painted started to lift....probably because I missed those spots with the clear resin.
That sounds like a plan. Thank you!

I had a mold long ago for the Halcyon. Made them out of resin...so they SANK in the TANK. also fixed the seams, Cleaned it up quite a bit.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 541
  • Copy of PB280990.JPG
    Copy of PB280990.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 352
  • DSC03152.JPG
    DSC03152.JPG
    854.5 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC03154.JPG
    DSC03154.JPG
    852.5 KB · Views: 284
  • PB280967.JPG
    PB280967.JPG
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 305
Those are great! How have the facehuggers held up?

Great info. So you painted it and posed it the way you wanted before coating it with Envirotex? It sounds like the resin locks it in position.

That is brilliant. I love the idea of a digital control panel. And bubbles for sure!

Facehugger held up real well. But its mostly OUT of water....I dont keep it filled that long.

Great work! Just curious, what did you use for the glass/plexi cylinder?

Thanks!
I had a cast acrylic tube ordered from a local plastics place. There are two types. Extruded (tiny lines) and Cast (Clear as glass)
They were gorgeous...but expensive. Any place that sells acrylic will have those. Long ago..I even sold these as kits.
Also did a few build ups.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back