EWOK build

jango5204

Made this for an 8 yr old who wanted to move up from his Jawa costume. I based it off of a build I found here. I got the fur at a fabric store, the eyes are the caps from $1 baby bottle at the dollar store. They get covered with the static sticker tint you can buy at an autoparts store. Toes are made form EVA foam with styrene nails, the fingers are L200. The nose and the mouth are oven bake clay. Built the whole thing for roughly $350. Weathering is done with leather dye through an airbrush.

ml]
11180300_10207214820355635_5331854091656977338_n.jpg
[/URL

I have to give credit to RPF member "naatsirhc" and his " accurate Ewok build" thread. Just built mine based on his.

Holy crap, that's AWESOME! By far, one of the BEST Ewok costumes I've seen!!! And for the $350 investment, all the more AMAZING!!! GREAT JOB!!!:thumbsup

That is a nice looking Ewok! My kids are keen to make one. For the body suit did you follow a pattern or just wing it? Is it a 1 piece or 2 piece suit? And did you just choose basic brown fur or did you find some kind of color blend?
Cheers
Shane
:)

Not sure how many pieces the body suit it. I had somebody make it. It pulls on like coveralls. She used a vintage Ewok costume pattern she bought online $4. I got the fake fur at a local fabric shop.

Not sure how many pieces the body suit it. I had somebody make it. It pulls on like coveralls. She used a vintage Ewok costume pattern she bought online $4. I got the fake fur at a local fabric shop.

Was it the McCalls 8731 Ewok Costume pattern?

Yes. She said it was $4. I asked her to add some to the thigh and stomach area to get that " pear" shape. Didn't want a thin Ewok

Thanks for the awesome info. The kids and I are doing woks at the moment and the body suit is my biggest concern. Does yours have a Center front seam? It doesn't look visible in your photos.. The seams are my biggest concern when choosing the pattern as I don't want it to look like a sewn suit with seams. Looks like yours mus blend really well.
that macall Ewok pattern is hard to find. Trolled around last night and only found one example for sale for $45usd on eBay. Might just adapt a lion pattern for that price...

Add to the body to drop the crotch area way down. You want short legs.. Trying to get that pear shape. There is a seam on mine. 2 things help diminish the look. Cut the fabric on the back with a sharp razor blade, no scissors. You don't want to shorten the hair at the seam. Gentle cutting from the back. After its seamed get a metal hair pick from a beauty supply and pick the seam to pull hair from inside the stitch to blend it.

Awesome thanks again! Great tips.
So you have a Center front and rear seam, arm seams where the arm joins the body and inside leg seams correct? Then when you sew it you place the fur side together so the seam sits on the inside like any other sewing job and pick the fur through after. I might get an adult sized pattern for the kids and just make the arms and legs shorter.

one other question on your eyes. I got some tint from the local auto supply but it is not flexible at all. Even when I heated it it gave me lots of wrinkles in the film. Did you use a specific product that is more flexible than regular tint?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 92
Yes on the seams. On the tint, you're buying a removable tint that sticks the glass, should have some stretch to it. I heated mine slightly to soften it a touch more and stretch nicely.

Thanks for your reply. I am still having trouble finding the right tint for the eyes. The stuff I have folds all over the place. Canadian tire just has regular non flexible tint Do you know the exact product you used and where you got it? Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Shane

Good on ya, Dad. Very nice build. My kid always wanted to be an Ewok when she was little. Now in high school she's too tall to do it. I should have done it long ago. REGRET. Dad's don't wait, you're babies grow up way too fast.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back