Evil Dead II/Army of Darkness replica chainsaw

Got my XL today. It's a lot smaller than I thought, it makes the Halloween version I made look super sized!

Here she is:

IMG_2912.jpg

Does anyone have an image of the back of the saw (where your hand goes) showing exactly how much needs to be cut away?

Last edited:
Just got mine finished up. :thumbsup

PeteVenkman's grill painted, weathered and applied:

ED2Chainsaw9.jpg

And the full finished (non-bloody) chainsaw:

ED2Chainsaw10.jpg

Looks great!

I've just noticed that yours has symbols on the side wheras mine has written 'FUEL MIX' and 'CHAIN OIL'. I didn't realise there would be any difference, however minor, between XL saws?

Yeah, afraid so, there are a few different XL models with very slight differences. As far as I'm aware, the writing instead of the symbols is the only difference on your model. The one with the symbols (i.e. the one I have) is the movie accurate model (though even mine has the black hard rubber side handle instead of the black metal handle).

Lots of good material here:

Evil Dead Chainsaws - Movie Prop Replica Chainsaw Creator

The FAQ section ("Do you sell unmodified working Homelite XL petrol chainsaws?") shows which model is movie accurate (as do the photos of his finished chainsaws).

Oh bugger!

Oh well, it's only a small thing. I guess I can add extra grime and splatter over that area.:lol

Alternatively, if I decide to get OCD about it, those symbols ARE on the fuel caps. I could make a quick and dirty mold, cast those little parts and add them to the sanded down side. I'll see, not sure if it's really worth it.

Here are a few screencaps of the workshed saw. Look at all the gaffer tape on there!

ScreenShot2012-11-06at195233.png

ScreenShot2012-11-06at195238.png

ScreenShot2012-11-06at195309.png

ScreenShot2012-11-06at195445.png

ScreenShot2012-11-06at195505.png

ScreenShot2012-11-06at195617.png

Last edited:
The gaffers tape is there to cover the pyro set up for the sparks when he cuts the shotgun, I think.

Ob1al, looks like you and I have the same model XL. Mine, too, has the letters in lieu of the symbols. I never realized there was a difference.

Thanks for pointing that out, Howlrunner. Your chainsaw looks awesome! I like the shot with the Necrocomicon. Great work on the weathering. The rusting on the t-bolt and grill is really well done.

Looks like it PeteVenkman. BTW I might be hitting you up for one of your grills soon, nice work!

I removed the engine and dremeled away the handle today:

IMG_2914.jpg

I gave the parts a really good scrub before cutting, so they are pretty much grease-free now.

By the way, I meant to mention this a while back when I was building my halloween chainsaw, but Halfords Enamel 'Workshop Red' is a PERFECT match for the original XL orangey-red colour. I've used it to touch up the newly cut areas on my XL.

The next task is going to be trying to take the motor apart and cut the relevant sections. I'll also be attempting this with my dremel and a kick-ass metal cutting disc I have. I still haven't worked out exactly what and where to cut yet? Or which parts need to be removed before the cuts are possible?

I started on the metalwork today and angle-grinded off the extra side handle part. Lots of sparks cutting that part, it was fun! This is just a test fit of the parts, they are not bolted on yet:

IMG_2919.jpg

I'm putting off cutting away the engine parts as I think it's going to be a bugger to do.

Oh, I got my 20" bar on Saturday too. Unlike the auction photo it is painted with a big logo on it too, so I will have to remove the paint.

Be sure to add the extra cuff part Ob1al - it's not just the T-bolt clamp that attaches the chainsaw to his wrist. I used a section of black drainpipe add-on from B&Q that the T-bolt clamp is clamped around (oh and that clamp is REALLY tough to put holes in for the bolts!).

Yup, I know that guys.

I need to find the right part though. Gorgot3000, what is that ribbed piece in the middle of your second pic? I have seen a lot of people use that on their saw replicas but can't find anything similar at B&Q? I'm assuming that the ribs are accurate to the screen used prop? There are so few decent reference images, it's hard to tell.

Howlrunner, thanks for your continuing help and advice with this prop bud, much appreciated. Did you use 3" down pipe sprayed silver?

Jimmy - it does appear that way, but I believe it is studio lighting and the amount of weathering and fake blood which makes it look a maroon colour. The screen used weathering is really heavy black and red in certain scenes.

The basic shell is still factory standard underneath all that gunge, take a look at these screen grabs:

ScreenShot2012-11-12at220112.png

ScreenShot2012-11-12at220416.png

ScreenShot2012-11-12at220457.png

ScreenShot2012-11-12at221023.png

ScreenShot2012-11-12at221200.png

ScreenShot2012-11-12at221215.png

I can see the correct orangey-red colour in these shots, albeit covered in heavy, black weathering.

Here are 2 of the same screenshots cropped and lightened:

ScreenShot2012-11-12at221200-1.png

ScreenShot2012-11-12at220112-1.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back