Every Harry Potter chocolate frog cards from Universal Studios (and more)!

56423400_10216769039931159_4049429088044056576_n.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

Came out on on the 29

So see any differences/variatiions on the general release card versus the ones that snuck out early?

I just ordered a set of cards to start my collection, but after reading this incredibly helpful thread I have a few questions:

1. Is there a list of versions of the cards? It looks like there have been multiple re-printings, but do we know how many times they've reprinted which cards?
2. Are the originally-printed cards more valuable?
3. Are there sites other than eBay to find the Madrid set, Golden Dumbledore, or Japan Dumbledore?

Most importantly:

4. What's the best way you've found to store/display these cards?

Thanks!

One Card you can add to the list if you wish. There is a Salazar Slytherin Error card. Very limited and rare. On the back of the card, in the description, his name is spelled “Salazer” whereas on the top and front, and on the regular, it’s “Salazar”.

There is a great group on facebook called "chocolate frog card trading" Join the group and a lot of your questions are answered there

1) in that group showcases all of the different cards outside the misspelled on
2) Cards are only worth as much as you can get for them I have never since big price differents
3) eBay is your mostly bet until you can find friends willing to sell them but Madrid set, Golden Dumbledore, or Japan (silver) Dumbledore are hard to come by, even on eBay
4) I love framing mine in a big frame. I have the first 11 in one frame and the next 2 in another with room for others. I always get two cards on to show the photos the other to show the back. I've seen some people just set them on display shelves, where others get the tin Chocolate frog box from the parks and store them in there or even use the noble chocolate frog box and have their cards in there. Whatever works best for you and makes you happy is how you should display them

There is a great group on facebook called "chocolate frog card trading" Join the group and a lot of your questions are answered there

1) in that group showcases all of the different cards outside the misspelled on
2) Cards are only worth as much as you can get for them I have never since big price differents
3) eBay is your mostly bet until you can find friends willing to sell them but Madrid set, Golden Dumbledore, or Japan (silver) Dumbledore are hard to come by, even on eBay
4) I love framing mine in a big frame. I have the first 11 in one frame and the next 2 in another with room for others. I always get two cards on to show the photos the other to show the back. I've seen some people just set them on display shelves, where others get the tin Chocolate frog box from the parks and store them in there or even use the noble chocolate frog box and have their cards in there. Whatever works best for you and makes you happy is how you should display them
Trying to join now, if any are members, can someone approve my request

A note from Universal About Chocolate Frogs:
"We still do not have a formal date at this time, but we have been trying to roll out twice a year: Once in January, and once in July."

Right, so I think it was about time for someone to try and reunite all the official chocolate frog cards that exist out there; cards that are being sold at the moment or that have been discontinued. They've been around since 2010, and I wasn't able to find anywhere online to compare or to get any information about uncommon or even regional exclusive cards.
I tried my best to scan all the different cards that I got. Please remember that those collectible cards are lenticular, so (as long as I know) there is no good way to scan them in order to get a decent printable copy. Those scans are intended to work just as exemples of each model.

I would like to get as much information about different models as I can. I'm a bit obsessed about not missing any, therefore this thread. So, as long as I know, I got all of the different models for every different character released to date. If incorrect, please let me know. I would love to help any eventual collector or HP fan to finish this evergrowing collection.

(Sorry, as this thread will be updated with every new release, and it will be pic heavy!)

At the moment, there's only purchasable 10 characters, but there's more than 20 different cards. YUP. There's more than one Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff card out there.
The list of the characters available right now are:

Regular Godric Gryffindor
Regular Salazar Slytherin
Regular Helga Hufflepuff
Regular Rowena Ravenclaw
GOLD Albus Dumbledore
SILVER Albus Dubledore
Regular Albus Dumbledore
Regular Gilderoy Lockhart
Exhibit Ver. Godric Gryffindor
Exhibit Ver. Salazar Slytherin
Exhibit Ver. Helga Hufflepuff
Exhibit Ver. Rowena Ravenclaw
Exhibit Ver. Albus Dumbledore
Regular Hengist of Woodcroft
Regular Berttie Bott
Regular Jocunda Sykes
Regular Devlin Whitehorn
Regular Garrick Ollivander
Regular Artemisia Lufkin

(Every card of every character has been changed over time cause of quality reasons. They have improved the definition and fixed the blurriness with each edition every year. I'm just giving an example of each model, but I'm not showing every edition of each card, as it has been many without any substantial modification, as seen below)

View attachment 1000582

At the very beginning there was only 4 characters and 4 models; Hogwarts founders. Those cards were clearly just prototypes, as they were messy, blurry and they've changed so much over time. Each card has changed it's colors from a dark blue to a purpleish lighter blue. The background was redesigned, stars were moved or added, and the back of the card was completely redesigned, changing it's palette and even text.

As an example, see this First edition Rowena Ravenclaw ('10) and then a modern (but not current) edition that was released some years later.

View attachment 1000583

That means that there's 4 First Edition cards of the Founders that are different from the ones that you currently get from the frogs. (I'm just showing Ravenclaw's as it was the most changed one, but the other 3 founders were at the same situation).

A few months later, they announced that a Limited Golden Edition Albus Dumbledore would joint the collection. ('11). After that limited card was discontinued (as cannot be purchased officially anymore), they added a regular blue colored Dumbledore card. What doesn't seem very well known is that there is one more special edition Dubledore out there; It is a Silver Edition Albus Dumbledore card, only obtainable at Universal Studios Osaka, Japan. That makes this card one of the rarest of the whole collection, if not the most, as it cannot be purchased anywhere else. (and I can assure that I haven't seen any of those for sale anywhere. Ever)

View attachment 1000584

Here the special ones; the Japan Exclusive and the Limited Golden edition. (That (I'm posting a regular photo of the Silver one too, as the metallic effect was lost when scanning)

View attachment 1000585View attachment 1000586

The collection then was stuck for more than 3 years without any new release, till last year, when they released a whole lot of new cards. First of all, they announced a new character to be added to the set, Gilderoy Lockhart, that was released at the HP Celebration 2017 and still can be obtained.

View attachment 1000587

After that, the HP exhibit hit Madrid, Spain, and there a new batch of the first 5 characters were released to the public (Founders & Dumbledore).
They chose to use the same background for all of them, and used different poses and a new design for the pattern of the card, as you can see here. The size of the card was modified too, making them slightly smaller than the previous ones. (The Chocolate frog box was changed too, as they used a different font and changed the packaging a little bit).
View attachment 1000588

Later that year they announced the inclusion of the founder of Hogsmade, Hengist of Woodcroft. It is randomly obtainable since then.

View attachment 1000589

And finally (for now), Universal Studios has shown the next character to be added to the collection; Bertie Bott. It cannot be purchased yet, and will be released late this month (Jan '18) at Universal Studios Orlando as part as the HP Celebration 2018.

View attachment 1000590

After Mr. Bott, they've officially released a few more cards, both being Jocunda Sykes and Devlin Whitehorn.
View attachment 1000577
Early in 2019, two more cards started to pop up online on eBay. Sellers claimed that they belonged to a not officially released batch of chocolate frogs that were not approved by WB and that were sold at Universal Studios Orlando and Hollywood for a month from November 2018. Those cards are still pending to be officially announced or released, being Devlin Whitehorn the last official card sold by WB. EDIT: those cards ended up being official and can now be officially obtained as regulard cards in the collection.
View attachment 1000579
And that's it for now. I know this won't draw a lot of interest, as I don't think many people are seriously collecting these items, but I thought it would be fun to try and do my best with this list!! I'm missing any model, or any release here? Please let us all know!

The parks told me there are plainning to put out 2 cards each year. one in Jan the other in July or at least that what there open in plain is but it comes down to Jo and WB

So since I haven’t seen any side by side comparison other than the one I recently posted on FB page, I wanted to share these photos I’ve taken of the park cards compared to the exhibition cards. C85520A9-5E06-48AE-BBB5-6D96EE04C0F6.jpeg6CF937C0-0202-4E5B-838C-3F5A38C5C939.jpeg7B18E419-3C8B-48CD-8D53-D6BDFE290CAA.jpeg0A50681F-9D85-4546-A884-6A8BCBB47614.jpeg0653EC36-417F-43DB-8BE5-1A5431C25F62.jpeg

I can now post this after receiving this through the mail today. Someone didn’t know what they had on a for sale site and got this baby! Not sure if it’s the next release and got it early or if it is another unauthorized card. Either way, everyone say hello to the great MERLIN!
B91C3DBD-6801-4088-B831-11846D21B489.jpeg90B45327-4E89-4DCE-B865-FA8D200D31FC.jpeg

12 new chocolate frog cards in a kit. 6 cards per kit. Images are all different. you can find them under cinereplicas.com. I'm thinking the 12 are the same 12 from the parks right now but I do not know. From the photos, they show more than half of the cards are right. I will update when I get my kits

So it looks like the only ones that DIDN'T change are Devlin Whitehorn and Bertie Bott? The problem that I see is that you only get 6 of the twelve in the kit, so how would you know which cards you would get? You might have to order a half a dozen kits to get all the cards.

Kind of offtopic, but got a spare set of Exhibit cards (except Gryffindor) and won't mind letting them go. If there's anyone interested, drop me a DM. :)(y)

I always questioned whether Pottermore sorted me in to the correct house when I was put into Slytherin, always felt more like a Ravenclaw. Then, i got my first chocolate frog, and the card was Salazar Slytherin. I took that as a sign and accepted and have fully embraced my Slytherin house.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back