ESB Bladed Stunt Graflex Lightsaber "The Core!"

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I filmed a test today! I was able to grab some shorter set screws for the golf club and chinese fabric. Now it can spin down and tighten inside the bunny ears

this is from about 6 feet away, much brighter than I anticipated.

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I filmed a test today! I was able to grab some shorter set screws for the golf club and chinese fabric. Now it can spin down and tighten inside the bunny ears

this is from about 6 feet away, much brighter than I anticipated.
Holy crap Tom!! That’s bright! That’s the Chinese fabric?!

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks guys!

Not kidding, it's a cheap Samsung phone with the camera flash on while I record video. That's it. There's sunlight behind me from the covered window too.

It's hard to tell but this is a very skinny pole, a little less than 16mm at the base and maybe 7mm (guessing on that one) near the tip

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thank you! I'm thinking I may cover half the collar with reflective material, so it glows all the way down to the graflex.

Mouse Vader

Not kidding, it's a cheap Samsung phone with the camera flash on while I record video. That's it. There's sunlight behind me from the covered window too.
It's very effective non the less, I'm presuming it's because the flash is so close to the lens.

It's hard to tell but this is a very skinny pole, a little less than 16mm at the base and maybe 7mm (guessing on that one) near the tip
I get the same effect from my golf stick - just under 16mm at base & 8mm at tip but you wouldn't think so looking at this pic.

DSC08788a.JPG

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This shot really freaks me out. How skinny are we talking here..
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.17.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.18.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.18.23 PM.png

Pic 1&2 I'm looking right at the graflex socket trying to see the base of the blade.

I'm also wondering if there's a ratio going on - what we see is 1/4 wider than the bare blade for example, an angle from reflection that makes it look wider than it is

Mouse Vader

Mostly I think it's just glare - the camera is working out an exposure for the whole view & relatively small areas of extreme brightness will be excluded hence they come out highly over exposed & appear larger, what I find intriguing is that seems more pronounced in the tip compared to the base.

I was going through that scene the other day frame by frame & there's weird stuff going on, I'm not at all convinced the blade is real for all of it - that is some of it looks added in post production - preliminary rotoscoping & possibly a non retro-reflecting surface.

Mouse Vader

Had a look at my V2 blade under illumination again last night, this blade thickness ids defo a camera thing as the taper is quite claer to see with the naked eye.

Just to show off, here's a short vid I did with a strobing light source. Interesting but not right.