ESB Bladed Stunt Graflex Lightsaber "The Core!"

Work with it ever so slowly

Feels like a stupid question but.. did you spray both rod and fabric? I laid the fabric upside down, sprayed it and hoped to pick it up and lay it on the tube. It was stuck to the surface I laid it on!

No such thing as stupid questions, I spray them both

I keep the fabric on the work bench, shiny side down, lightly spray the back. The pole I cover pretty good

When the fabric and pole is tacky, then I slowly roll the pole on the fabric and I mean slowly

Rolling the pole with 1 hand while keeping the fabric tight.. let me take a picture to improvise ;)

This is how I roll it Tom

IMG_8766.jpg

This way too by doing small increments of rolls you can stop it from over lapping

If your having a hard time. Only spray the edge

So spray the whole pole. And only the starting edge of the fabric, role the pole onto the starting edge of the fabric

Let it dry.

Then spray the edge of the pole and the blank part of the fabric, only a small part of the fabric enough for you to roll it, and continue to do it that way until the whole pole is covered

Just don’t rush anything. If the adhesive drys you can always hit it again with spray

But I think your best bet is not spraying the entire piece of fabric and only small increments

Tom see if this video works

Instead of holding it with my hand, you can have your girlfriend hold the fabric with both her hands while you both pull, holding it right and you slowly roll

watched this again this morning, you're good at describing step by step events. I think I sprayed things 2-3 times because I acted like it was spray paint that didn't completely coat. It's not lol

watched this again this morning, you're good at describing step by step events. I think I sprayed things 2-3 times because I acted like it was spray paint that didn't completely coat. It's not lol

Yeah a little bit of this stuff goes a long way, you really don’t want to soak it.

That’s probably why it bled threw and stuck to your floor

Let me know if you need anything

So ..I have some more important information. I was apparently getting thin, liquid, concentrated adhesive right out of the fresh can. Today I sprayed a bit more for practice and the goop started to come out too. It was cold, from being compressed and released like keyboard duster. And I had a few seconds to work with it, must have been a bad ratio of the solvents and chemicals in the can!

I glued pieces of the material I have to a piece of aluminum for comparison
E475635B-42FA-469B-B9C9-66162000857B.jpeg

6385FAB2-3478-470D-BFC4-6843ADD88FDA.jpeg

Attachments

• 6B6B2BDB-8EAD-4505-B40B-4DF63C2C752B.jpeg
    6B6B2BDB-8EAD-4505-B40B-4DF63C2C752B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 91
Nice! So, did you shake the can before you sprayed?

Yeah, sounds like the Super 77 wasn't spraying right for ya.

Great job with the explanation video, Danny! It's some finicky stuff to work with if you don't know what you're doing.

I used some Super 90 on this big piece of artwork that was set dressing for some dude's apartment in one of the last movies I worked on (called "What Men Want"?), before going back to school. It was adhered to a wood backing board, and was getting big air bubbles and peeling up at the corners from whoever applied it the first time, and I had to fix it. Had to let it sit overnight, laid flat, with heavy books on all the corners.

I've never liked spray adhesive, but sometimes it's the right stuff for the job, regardless.

Btw, I LOVE your V3 and Luke Kobo-flex Stunt! Is the V3 one of Dan's build kits? And what did you use for the copper neck??

I guess I wasn't shaking the can enough too :D

and thank you! That is one of Dan's builds, the neck is copper paint and then ruby rub n buff over it. Doesn't feel quite yellow-y enough for me, but some of those photos out there are altered. I'm especially a fan of the luke hand saber. That socket is an old replica blade socket and it shattered, so the socket is packed with putty and it has an old metal film canister lid where the socket pin is. funnily enough, the glass eye port is filled with putty on the real thing, so until we ID that part, its more accurate than I imagined.

Great thinking with the display of Scotchlite!

Any time Dann, I got some more blank graphite clubs coming, I’ll do a roll video for everyone if ya like

To be honest I think there is a working temperature with the super 77. Once I head out into the shed I’ll check mine

But it should come out stringy in the mist

Last edited:
I've tried trimming the end of a rectangular strip so its more trapezoidal but I'm not sure if that will wrap the right way.

blank clubs you say?

I've tried trimming the end of a rectangular strip so its more trapezoidal but I'm not sure if that will wrap the right way.

blank clubs you say?

Yeah. “Graphite golf shaft blanks” on eBay

Chris actually found a brand called graflex, but I can’t seem to find them right now

They don’t have the rubber handles on them or the club on the end. Just the shaft

Yeah. “Graphite golf shaft blanks” on eBay

Chris actually found a brand called graflex, but I can’t seem to find them right now

They don’t have the rubber handles on them or the club on the end. Just the shaft

Hey Halliwax, I think the brand is grafex, without the "L". It's something I come accross sometimes when I make a typo on Graflex ;)

Ha! I remember seeing those when I'd search for flashes with misspelled titles, I know exactly what you're talking about!

And Thomas, thank you! Ruby rub n buff, that's the secret ingredient! Must go get me some. I did find a pretty good looking copper in a spray can at Ace. It's Ace brand. I'll edit this post with the name/number, in case anyone cares!

I know what you're saying about the reference pics. To me, it looks really red in some, especially that one where a guy is holding it next to the Hero. So that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Me too, I think thats why I went that way.

There is an Ace copper or metallic (?) spray paint that looks VERY close to the Hero ROTJ color. Anakin Starkiller put me onto it. I used it for my Yuma saber
fullsizeoutput_13ce.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_13c7.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back