ESB Bladed Stunt Graflex Lightsaber "The Core!"

I filmed a test today! I was able to grab some shorter set screws for the golf club and chinese fabric. Now it can spin down and tighten inside the bunny ears

this is from about 6 feet away, much brighter than I anticipated.

I filmed a test today! I was able to grab some shorter set screws for the golf club and chinese fabric. Now it can spin down and tighten inside the bunny ears

this is from about 6 feet away, much brighter than I anticipated.

Holy crap Tom!! That’s bright! That’s the Chinese fabric?!

Thanks guys!

Not kidding, it's a cheap Samsung phone with the camera flash on while I record video. That's it. There's sunlight behind me from the covered window too.

It's hard to tell but this is a very skinny pole, a little less than 16mm at the base and maybe 7mm (guessing on that one) near the tip

Thank you! I'm thinking I may cover half the collar with reflective material, so it glows all the way down to the graflex.

Not kidding, it's a cheap Samsung phone with the camera flash on while I record video. That's it. There's sunlight behind me from the covered window too.

It's very effective non the less, I'm presuming it's because the flash is so close to the lens.

It's hard to tell but this is a very skinny pole, a little less than 16mm at the base and maybe 7mm (guessing on that one) near the tip

I get the same effect from my golf stick - just under 16mm at base & 8mm at tip but you wouldn't think so looking at this pic.

DSC08788a.JPG

This shot really freaks me out. How skinny are we talking here..
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.17.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.18.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.18.23 PM.png

Pic 1&2 I'm looking right at the graflex socket trying to see the base of the blade.

I'm also wondering if there's a ratio going on - what we see is 1/4 wider than the bare blade for example, an angle from reflection that makes it look wider than it is

Mostly I think it's just glare - the camera is working out an exposure for the whole view & relatively small areas of extreme brightness will be excluded hence they come out highly over exposed & appear larger, what I find intriguing is that seems more pronounced in the tip compared to the base.

I was going through that scene the other day frame by frame & there's weird stuff going on, I'm not at all convinced the blade is real for all of it - that is some of it looks added in post production - preliminary rotoscoping & possibly a non retro-reflecting surface.

Had a look at my V2 blade under illumination again last night, this blade thickness ids defo a camera thing as the taper is quite claer to see with the naked eye.

Just to show off, here's a short vid I did with a strobing light source. Interesting but not right.

I'm considering disassembling this one, or building a new one with less bolts.

First off - it looks like the "upper socket metal plug" theory of the ROTJ Vader Stunt saber might be correct, if this is the same prop, pre-vader decoration.

Look at the 2 pin socket facing us. The upper part is light colored.
ESBDagobah.jpg

and this detail made it on screen too. Zoom in. Can't be a coincidence right? Thats EXACTLY where the seam line is for Socket parts #1 and #2
Uppersocketproof.jpg

it even possibly shows up here
uppersocketproof1.jpg

and here (split socket above, black bolt below)
Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.00.27 PM.png

Are we seeing the line of a split socket here?

Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-3b.jpg

I'm guessing this is the top of another cylinder of metal, taking place of the upper socket, maybe an inch or less thick
LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_blade_cutoff.jpg

On the Vader ROTJ this would only leave the middle piece left - they removed the lower section and placed a longer core in place, with more bolts.

in ESB, since they had both red buttons in place, I'm guessing the lower 2/3 sections were in place, like mine.

I actually made a 3/8" dowel stunt blade, just for fun, a few weeks ago. Even turned down the base of the dowel and added a steel sleeve. The core is secured with the big flat head countersunk bolt (either M6 or M8, I can't remember), and the little slotted screw between the sockets. There's a little 4-40 grub screw that you can access through the beer tab hole.

1126191814.jpg
1126191814a.jpg
1126191814b.jpg
1126191815.jpg
1126191816.jpg

The replica Graflex halves I've had for YEARS, now. For the life of me, I cannot recall who made them! I plan to send it away to be plated, eventually.

in ESB, since they had both red buttons in place, I'm guessing the lower 2/3 sections were in place, like mine.

I doubt we'll ever know, but a red button doesn't need any where near the internal clearance that a glass eye does. A solid core wouldn't have to be very much smaller than the Graflex ID for there to be space to get a button threaded in solidly.

I actually made a 3/8" dowel stunt blade, just for fun, a few weeks ago. Even turned down the base of the dowel and added a steel sleeve. The core is secured with the big flat head countersunk bolt (either M6 or M8, I can't remember), and the little slotted screw between the sockets. There's a little 4-40 grub screw that you can access through the beer tab hole.

View attachment 1087737View attachment 1087738View attachment 1087739View attachment 1087740View attachment 1087741

The replica Graflex halves I've had for YEARS, now. For the life of me, I cannot recall who made them! I plan to send it away to be plated, eventually.
Dann that looks so cool! I LOVE your placement of the bolts and screws... much better than what they seem to have done

I doubt we'll ever know, but a red button doesn't need any where near the internal clearance that a glass eye does. A solid core wouldn't have to be very much smaller than the Graflex ID for there to be space to get a button threaded in solidly.

This is true, I meant that the ROTJ MoM saber clearly has the core up against the hole and they put a greeblie there instead. the ESB stunt must have had something different. Any idea what that would have been? like how much clearance do we need to get a red button in there? (I know its more than this)
dv_ls_rotj_02.jpg

how much clearance do we need to get a red button in there? (I know its more than this)
View attachment 1087756

I can't find any good visuals of that clearance in the saber. The flash used to take the pictures just flattens everything.

I just measured the thread depths of three buttons as 2.6mm, 2.75mm, and 2.54mm. The metal of three tops all measured 1.24mm thick. That would leave 1.3mm in the best of those cases. If that were split between space inside the flash and the button being left unscrewed on the outside -- 0.65mm each -- would that be plausible?

Is the tolerance for your core smaller than that? I could get a button in tight (though not flush) over my core, but it's 3d printed PLA, so not nearly as solid as your metal core.

I like this..

I'm going to have to pop out my tire valve to try it, I have a feeling it won't be enough to hold it, the tolerance of my core and the wall of the flash is smaller than a sheet of paper but I need to try it because I might be wrong. I'll report back!

So we can get 1 thread, or 3/4 of a thread and it will generally stay in place. It pokes up a bit, so we have to look for this detail in both red buttons. The upper plug also will do this to the upper button
20191130_125110.jpg
20191130_125044.jpg

Attachments

• 20191130_123011.jpg
    20191130_123011.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 76
So we can get 1 thread, or 3/4 of a thread and it will generally stay in place. It pokes up a bit, so we have to look for this detail in both red buttons. The upper plug also will do this to the upper button

Nice, Tom. And thanks! I also hadn't considered the upper button being affected by the top plug. Good thinking!

Speaking of the top plug, I just noticed this. It looks to me like we can see the plug in the rectangular hole, which is usually hidden by the shroud:
Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-3b top plug.jpg

Thoughts? Am I making it up?

Nice, Tom. And thanks! I also hadn't considered the upper button being affected by the top plug. Good thinking!

Speaking of the top plug, I just noticed this. It looks to me like we can see the plug in the rectangular hole, which is usually hidden by the shroud:
View attachment 1087928

Thoughts? Am I making it up?
I dont think you're crazy - i noticed the same thing earlier

I would make sense... converting it for use in jedi... just put more bolts in.

now.. i'd believe it more if the cores had a flattened side under the button. a milled flat spot would probably allow the button to screw in. I just dont see that in the glass eye hole here

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back