Envy Thread: Mal's Pistol from Firefly

Phil, anyone, what kind of holster/belt rig did they use for Mal? Are there any good pictures of it? Did it vary from Tv show to film?

I am close to finally getting some props done, and the mal pistol is one of them, and I'd like to know if I can find a holster for it close to what they used.

Thanks again. Great thread.

Njc---------------

I'm quoting the foremost Firefly/Serenity expert, who just emailed me about it:

"The belt is a found item, "Garrison" or "Sam Browne" style, two pronged buckle, double row of holes.

The holster was custom made. It didn't have the strap and buckle around the middle when it left the maker's shop. That was added by the production. It's a single thickness hide holster, unlined, with no interior metalwork.

The movie holster differs only from the TV version in that the quality of the leatherwork is far inferior on the movie version and the belt loop-over is sewn to the holster, rather than riveted. Both have a rawhide tie-down in true western style.

The movie belts were made, not found."

Phil

Originally posted by Noeland@Jan 6 2006, 11:00 AM
Phil, anyone, what kind of holster/belt rig did they use for Mal? Are there any good pictures of it? Did it vary from Tv show to film?

I am close to finally getting some props done, and the mal pistol is one of them, and I'd like to know if I can find a holster for it close to what they used.

Thanks again. Great thread.

Njc---------------
[snapback]1152191[/snapback]​

Thanks Phil (and the foremost expert you asked for me). Gives me a starting point. I appreciate the reply.

Njc-----------------

That's a good theory for #1. I was also thinking... some kind of detent to keep the magazine in the pistol? Originally I was thinking mounted in the body shroud via the holes, and the "bump" providing pressure on the mag body, say from the rear.

However.. if you look close at the "dissassembled pistol" image a few pages back from the original studio house photo, well.. I see what looks like a ring sticking up at the top rear of the mag. That might well be a shadow.. but might it be the mysterious part # 1?

Kaylee I think you just nailed it. How could I have been so blind to not notice that before. I have been puzzling over how the magazine was held in the gun, and I think piece #1 is the secret. That photo of the studio house gun I think shows that piece attatched into the magazine and it works sort of like a ball door latch to hold it in, perhaps there are a couple nubs on the actual inner barrel that it snaps on. I really need to draw a diagram to illustrate it cause I bet all of you are staring at these words with a blank "what is he talking about?" look.

Thank you SO MUCH for verifying that Phil. I was going nutsy trying to figure that out - you rock. :)

Originally posted by philippes@Feb 15 2006, 01:24 PM
Correction: The original base gun is the Taurus 85 (not the 65).

Phil
[snapback]1185096[/snapback]​

I was watching the outake reel from the Serenity DVD and at one point Mal shoots a bloke, then lowers his pistol and a cartridge falls out. How can this happen if the gun is all sealed up?

SAS

Mr. Fillion picked up the bad habit of calling the "magazine" the "cartridge" -- I think he picked it up from Joss, as the same mistake is in the shooting script in the Visual Companion.

It was the magazine that fell out. :)

Originally posted by Sidewinder@Mar 2 2006, 10:42 AM
I was watching the outake reel from the Serenity DVD and at one point Mal shoots a bloke, then lowers his pistol and a cartridge falls out.  How can this happen if the gun is all sealed up?

SAS
[snapback]1197169[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back