Efx X Wing

Is it feasible to think that the red 4 hero was "sacrificed" to make pyros? That doesn't make sense to me, but might explain why we don't see it documented much/at all. And with it being labeled "blue 4", it had to be pretty early on in the timeline. Do we see an X-Wing with a yellow canopy in production photos? That'd be the Red (blue) 4 hero.

"Blue 1" was converted to Red 1 pretty early on right? So Red 4 being labeled "Blue 4" seems like it's a photo session from early on in the production.

My theory is that "Blue 1" was the one sent to Elstree along with the unfinished "Red Jammer" for reference in building the full-scale props, then sent back. At some point Red Jammer was finished off, but not converted to yellow markings. The pic I have of them on the table at Elstree is in black and white, so I can't tell if the X is red or blue at that time and place.

Blue 1, went onto become Red 2 though didnt it J? From pics ive seen, the actual Red 1/Leader could possibly have have been the first Hero finished, then sent on to Elstree.

lee

Jason, that's what I've been assuming. Ditto for Red 6. :(

I can't recall seeing an X-wing with a yellow canopy in prod photos but wasn't someone saying a week or two back that there was one? You would have seen the pics of the one being painted with a red canopy I guess - there was some discussion a few weeks ago about that potentially being Red 6 (the wing stripes are masked up, so it's hard to tell, but I think six gaps can be made out.)

What is Red Jammer, the red-marked Y-wing? When did it get that name? I think I hate it. :)

Cheers,
Martyn

The red Jammer was probably the first Y built, possibly, probably the most beautiful of Y wings Martyn...least she's my favorite bird, they look so prettier with red markings.
She had many details that differred to the Gold ANH Y wing props, cockpit shape, neck length, and a lot of different donors were used on her, one of the most noticable things, she had the 8rad chassis parts used on the neck sides, reversed!

lee

The red Jammer was probably the first Y built, possibly, probably the most beautiful of Y wings Martyn...least she's my favorite bird, they look so prettier with red markings.
She had many details that differred to the Gold ANH Y wing props, cockpit shape, neck length, and a lot of different donors were used on her, one of the most noticable things, she had the 8rad chassis parts used on the neck sides, reversed!

lee

HALLELUJAH, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!! :D

Lee, I love it too, and when/if I ever build mesself a Y she's a gonna be red.

Now cue Jamie with a bunch of dire invective against the red Y...hehe...

Cheers,
MG

PS I just meant I hate this "jammer" name. Some sort of hip-hop thing? ;p

PPS Jason, you are a tease!!! Is that Red 4 hero pic published?

Last edited:
HALLELUJAH, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!! :D

Lee, I love it too, and when/if I ever build mesself a Y she's a gonna be red.

Now cue Jamie with a bunch of dire invective against the red Y...hehe...

Cheers,
MG

PS I just meant I hate this "jammer" name. Some sort of hip-hop thing? ;p

PPS Jason, you are a tease!!! Is that Red 4 hero pic published?

LOL got ya Martyn buddy:lol, ha, yeah the Jammer sure is dope, LIKE totally phat....word LOL!

lee

My theory is that "Blue 1" was the one sent to Elstree along with the unfinished "Red Jammer" for reference in building the full-scale props, then sent back. At some point Red Jammer was finished off, but not converted to yellow markings. The pic I have of them on the table at Elstree is in black and white, so I can't tell if the X is red or blue at that time and place.

I definitely have a picture somewhere, although for the life of me I can't remember where, that clearly shows that the miniature X-wing sent to Elstree was Red 2. The canopy frame was already broken at this time, and is missing in the picture. If the picture that you have shows a complete canopy frame, then either more than one miniature was sent to Elstree (which doesn't make much sense) or the frame got broken at Elstree.

Yeah i think im wrong, i do have that pic, and it does look to be Red 2 at Elstree Ray....im sure i saw a pic of the Red 1 and Jammer together though...hmm im having a fuzzy day lol.

lee

Hey guys,

A big thanks to all of you who attended Comic-Con and came to visit us at our booth. It is always fun to place faces to forum IDs and to chat with so many enthusiasts.

The origins of the eFX X-Wing are not as straight forward as some people are imagining. Firstly, the team who worked on the MR X-Wing are in most part the same people producing the eFX version. However the eFX one was basically started over from scratch.

The body came from a hero casting, not a pyro version. It was scanned into the computer and straightened out, since it exhibited a bend to the left in the nose and in a few other places. Red Five's wings exist in the Lucas archives so they were easily referenced for details, panels and panel lines. Forensic detective work by Moe, Frank and others turned up the kit parts. More detective work using stills and model shots from the archives placed panels, panel lines and the torpedo tubes (which are uniquely different on Red Five). Pictures and former ILMers recollections reveal that the original model had glass in the cockpit (lab slide glass), probably removed because of complications with blue spill.

The cockpit interior is an amalgamation of the full sized set and what we could fit into the differently dimensioned model. You see the cockpit set in the movie and most folks would expect the model to reflect that. It worked for the snowspeeder and the Falcon releases previously, and generated a lot of compliments from customers. The seat in the cockpit is modeled after the one in the full sized set piece. The R2-D2 has been rebuilt from scratch using data gathered directly from R2 by one of the foremost R2-D2 builders enthusiasts. The model also features lights in the cockpit, R2 and engines, and the wings can be posed open or closed.

We really went to a tremendous amount of effort and research, involving a large team of people to produce this piece. It's NOT a casting of a screen used model, it's NOT an Icons, it's not a Captain Cardboard, it's an eFX. It won't please everybody and, frankly, I think that would be an impossible task to even attempt. We hope those of you who buy it will love it.

Barry

Hey Barry,

Thanks for the update, and for graciously stopping by to offer the lowdown on the eFx X-Wing. I'll be right there hitting refresh in my browser when these go on sale online, right along with most of the other geeks around here, I'm sure. :)

Good luck with the project, and with the new company.

Barry,
Thanks for Chiming in! Its great to get the straight dope from the source :D :thumbsup

Of all the pictures I saw there was only one that gave me pause - the cockpit hinge... Honestly I'm concerned that it will have an effect on the closed cockpit look of the model... I really do not want a "toyish" hinge seam, on a replica... I'm sure you can relate to that. I'm sure you guys will figure all that kind of stuff out, but I wanted to voice it since after seeing the prototype pics it realyl was the only thing that made me go - Hmmm I wonder how that's going to really look when its done...

If you're going with an either landed or flight look of the ship are you going to also include landing gear :confused If no landed mode then why have the cockpit open at all? It just makes me scratch my head a bit as to why these decisions were made. For the record I'm not complaining - just curious and a nudge anxious that the final result looks as good as it can!

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Those are legitimate questions Jedi Dade. I've wondered exactly the same thing. Unless there is more to the whole package than meets the eye, I see no reason for the cockpit to open at all. I love the landing gear idea however.

Dave :)

Barry... yes... thank you! I too will be purchasing one of these great offerings from eFX. You guys have done a WONDERFUL job in taking the Star Wars license further in the right direction!

BTW... I am sorry to have missed Comic Con. I look forward to the time of our eventual meeting. :)

Congratulations on your fantastic product line! I will indeed be acquiring some items from your company. :)

Thanks for the detailed info Barry. It must be difficult to address continuity issues between variant models and full size sets, especially 30 some years after the fact. I like the accuracy that your seem to be striving for while also hitting some "idealized" details like the cockpit.

Thanks for taking the time to write about it.

I think anything that show great workmanship and is accurate to concept which is pretty broad is going to be a home run. All the better if EFX can provide some insights and documentation that has not been seen before. I expect they are going to do a pretty darn good job on this one.

Last edited:
Yeah, so far this is a pretty piece. It won't fit every propsters idea of perfect, but it should have alot of good things about it that will appeal to the vast majority in one way or another.

My greatest hope is with the paintjob. I'd love to see more muted weathering and alot of "light touches" to the paint scheme rather than the heavy handedness of the MR paintjobs. That alone will be enough to set this company apart from all others before it. :)

Dave

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back