Efx X Wing

Looks nice to me Chris, a few tiny things that need sorting, but i like it, is that a Moes hull on there?
The Vader bucket is a bit nice too....always loved that design of helmet!

lee

Looks nice to me Chris, a few tiny things that need sorting, but i like it, is that a Moes hull on there?
The Vader bucket is a bit nice too....always loved that design of helmet!

lee

Doesnt look so nice to me :D

I dont know if this prototype will become the master but hey there are a lot of glue marks ! The canopy looks like the POTF X-Wing's. :rolleyes
The Panther fender is directly cast with the whole butt so if you want to repaint it as another X, you would have to do some surgery.

Is that the old MR prototype ?

Hi Lee :)

I like the look of the X wing and hopefully the final product given out to the public will be good.

I also liked the Vader but nothing else jumped out as being great. I do prefer the JRX prototype Vader lid though.

Chris

I hate the base they put it on. It needs a mirrored base like the old MR stuff. Looks like no acrylic cover either. Right now they're trying to keep it under 1000, but with oil prices who knows. I guess Sideshow is going to make two figures to go with it.

Not sure about that x-wing, the cockpit open/close feature will affect the look, I see big hinges that will show cuts on the outer side on canopy which will be similar to the toy, oh and that seat design needs to go.

OK lets see, open/close canopy, lights, 2 figures ect... I want a PROP not a TOY!!!!! keep it simple and accurate.

GFollano

Last edited:
Doesnt look so nice to me :D

I dont know if this prototype will become the master but hey there are a lot of glue marks ! The canopy looks like the POTF X-Wing's. :rolleyes
The Panther fender is directly cast with the whole butt so if you want to repaint it as another X, you would have to do some surgery.

Is that the old MR prototype ?

Well bro most buying into this i guess will already be dead set on owning a Red 5 with a Bandai Panther fender in place, i dont think id lose sleep thinking how id repaint her!
Its pretty plain this IS the proto though bro, maybe like a parts mock up? Hence for the overall effect, i still like it, glue marks and all, and hey, ILM's birds were covered in 'em LOL.

lee

blah window glasses... :unsure

Thats no prop thats a toy :lol

My props are my toys
dunno.gif

Having seen efx's prototype, and (what's left of) the original in the archives many times, I'd say they did an amazing job balancing expectation, mass-market appeal, and accuracy fu. Plenty of little details on this one I've never seen in any casting before... I foresee a quick sellout, and I don't think anyone has expectations to please everyone. It is simply, logistically, impossible. But knowing Barry and Bryan, this piece and these choices have been truly agonized over, and there is a ton of love in the project. And of course, it's not finished yet.

_Mike

Indeed Mike, anything from a factory is never going to please the most ardent of collector (and im way anal LOL), thats why we have some amazing GK guys throwing down awesome kits, with tons of love poured on!
I reckon this will sell out fast, and appeal to the guy who cant build his own X wing, another point, there are fans out there who do not frequent boards like this where artists can be hired to commision great work, so for the most part, the armchair fan is going to be pretty spoilt this year!

lee

I think that it looks great, I'm sure it's as accurate as can be. It looks like it has the true hero style wings, which is pretty awesome and something that you can't get with a GK, i think it's going to be an awesome piece, I will be picking one up for sure....
mike

Does anyone else find it odd that they would start with the X-wing? I know it is an ICON but the market is saturated with this already.

Between 2 versions of the CC and now the V3 out, are most people gonna fork out cash for a kit they already own?

I know we are a small percentage of the population but still this model is everywhere.

G

Does anyone else find it odd that they would start with the X-wing? I know it is an ICON but the market is saturated with this already.

Between 2 versions of the CC and now the V3 out, are most people gonna fork out cash for a kit they already own?

I know we are a small percentage of the population but still this model is everywhere.

G

Hi JDH,

I think EFX is reusing some of MR's R&D. From what I understand, MR was working on an X-Wing, when the SW license expired and they didn't have time to get it out. There is a recent EFX interview which mentions that the EFX X-wing has seen a lot of changes since their MR days, and that they have been to see the original Red 5, or what's left of it. Also, EFX was hinting that they may partner with Gentle Giant in order to offer a Luke Pilot, and maybe a Luke to stand next to the X-Wing.

Also note these are extremely short editions of 1000.

-DM

Not everyone is a modelbuilder too, inf fact i think few are...i think this is more for the Rebelscum type SW fans, or even completist, like is said i am going to plan on getting one...

G

Just out of curiosity what does a commisioned piece cost (average) to build and paint? Could it be cheaper than the eFX version?

I charge $1500 for no lights, but with that I supply the model, build and shipping in the US

For Lights I charge $2500 and I supply the model, lights and light board, build and shipping

G

I totally agree with Mike on that, this is a great thing for the guys who have never built models, cant build models, but love SW etc and like to collect props etc.
As Greg has now stated, youll not save money on a commision build, they would far outweigh what Efx would charge, but in a realistic light, it would be like comparing chalk and cheese, as a commision build by some of the guys here, would blow anything Efx will put out away, a factory line, cant compete with the likes of trained artists such as Greg, Bob, Rich, Matt Meyer or Dean Dymerski, just to name a few!

lee

Not my hull, Salzo bought it remember;-)
But I guess MR, EFX and I based the fuselage from the same pictures of Red3.
Frank, myself and a few others helped MR with the kit part issue, therefore I was blessed with reference picture of Red3.
The only remains of Red5 is the wings, engines, Sat V intakes and wing mechanism, which has been converted to Red4 according to the red paint markings. I have seen a few pictures of it. I like the cockpit, very cool looking to me.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back