EFX Mandalorian Helmet Season 2

Here's a comparison pic of the efx v2 (left) with anovos (middle) and bobamaker (right) It's interesting to see the back of the helmets.
The Efx V2 is dark grey and almost black depending the light...

Attachments

• 271478823_671559210519169_7981301441040489581_n.jpg
    271478823_671559210519169_7981301441040489581_n.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283
Here's a comparison pic of the efx v2 (left) with anovos (middle) and bobamaker (right) It's interesting to see the back of the helmets.
The Efx V2 is dark grey and almost black depending the light...

Could we get a front facing pic? This is really interesting.

Could we get a front facing pic? This is really interesting.
TBH the EFX shape is really cool, I really liked it but when you see it in person the color is really dark and the details are not sharp.
So here's a front facing pic from left to right, you have EFX V2, Anovos and Bobamaker with alumaster

Attachments

• 271482910_4670934403029564_5722260095074540026_n.jpg
    271482910_4670934403029564_5722260095074540026_n.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 320
here's a comparison pic of my Anovos (left) and the EFX V2 (right)
I have changed the T Visor on the Anovos and It's so much better.
The T visor on the Efx Is purple.

Attachments

• 271388965_235061008804751_281495433494241184_n.jpg
    271388965_235061008804751_281495433494241184_n.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 297
this is the kind of color I like on a mando helmet, these are my best helmets : Modded Anovos and Bobamaker.
I wish Efx did this kind of paint...The Efx is still a collector piece. I also had before the EFX V1 and sold it too as I did'nt like It. It was way too dark...
Anyway, I can understand collectors who have and Efx and like it. It's just a matter of taste and how you like to see and enjoy your props.

Attachments

• 271939266_2522750747857965_3288001564393626504_n.jpg
    271939266_2522750747857965_3288001564393626504_n.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
TBH the EFX shape is really cool, I really liked it but when you see it in person the color is really dark and the details are not sharp.
So here's a front facing pic from left to right, you have EFX V2, Anovos and Bobamaker with alumaster
Is that the Bobamaker V2 or did you repaint the V1 with Alumaluster? I think his V1 had a pretty poor Alcad paintjob.

this is the kind of color I like on a mando helmet, these are my best helmets : Modded Anovos and Bobamaker.
I wish Efx did this kind of paint...The Efx is still a collector piece. I also had before the EFX V1 and sold it too as I did'nt like It. It was way too dark...
Anyway, I can understand collectors who have and Efx and like it. It's just a matter of taste and how you like to see and enjoy your props.
Nice collection man! I understand not using the same screen-used paint perhaps to keep costs down, but both EFX Mando helmets got the taper of the visor wrong. It just appears too wide toward the bottom and in most stills from the show it’s clearly much thinner. I’m not sure how they got this wrong considering the lineage, OR perhaps I’m wrong and it’s just a matter of perception. Either way I still have my EFX Season 2 ordered haha.

Last edited:
In fairness that taper changes not only scene to scene but often in the same scene. Some times EFX, sometimes like Anovos, and some even narrower.
After looking closer, you're right. I stand corrected. Although I will say the narrower taper looks better in my opinion. The flip side is I much prefer the wider taper on a Boba Fett helmet like in ESB haha.

So, I've had my hands on 3 EFX helmets of my own. I've been studying the details of this helmet since the show first aired as Mando has slowly become my favorite costume in the entire Star Wars universe (the pre-Beskar specifically). What I can tell you is that although they definitely have the fingerprints of the lineage on them when you strip them down completely, something went wrong in the molding and finishing process from the master to the mold. Although the Anovos is just simply scanned from an original and modified and honestly has it's own inaccuracies, take a look at the visor width from top to bottom and compare it to the EFX in that side by side. Then, compare it to the helmet used in the show (the one on display at D23, the really HQ picture from the magazine front cover that is face on, screenshots from the show, etc.). There is no denying that for some reason Efx TRIMMED the visor top to bottom. Not by much, it's only by maybe a couple mm if even that, but it's enough that it's pretty obvious from side by side photos. Other issues include the mandibles are also not nearly as sharp as they are on the screen used, at the bottom, the ears are missing a pretty key detail, and then the top of the mohawk lines are wonky. All of these things can be fixed (which I'm working on) but it's absolutely shameful coming from a company that has access to mold the master.

Here is what I've done to my most recent one from Efx. I'm holding the mandibles together witch just some plastic glued on for now. I'm straightening some of the mohawk lines currently, making the visor much more "squinty" as it is on the original, and sharpening the mohawk details along with the mandible details. Pay no attention to the left side of the visor where the white/grey is, that's my sculpting medium built up ready for sanding. The right side of the visor that is coated in black is about 95% done other than some touch ups and clean up, so that's what the left side will eventually look like.

272221155_365317301627440_6607688300812024674_n.jpg

272705470_1345314192575525_5303560656146078338_n.jpg

So, I've had my hands on 3 EFX helmets of my own. I've been studying the details of this helmet since the show first aired as Mando has slowly become my favorite costume in the entire Star Wars universe (the pre-Beskar specifically). What I can tell you is that although they definitely have the fingerprints of the lineage on them when you strip them down completely, something went wrong in the molding and finishing process from the master to the mold. Although the Anovos is just simply scanned from an original and modified and honestly has it's own inaccuracies, take a look at the visor width from top to bottom and compare it to the EFX in that side by side. Then, compare it to the helmet used in the show (the one on display at D23, the really HQ picture from the magazine front cover that is face on, screenshots from the show, etc.). There is no denying that for some reason Efx TRIMMED the visor top to bottom. Not by much, it's only by maybe a couple mm if even that, but it's enough that it's pretty obvious from side by side photos. Other issues include the mandibles are also not nearly as sharp as they are on the screen used, at the bottom, the ears are missing a pretty key detail, and then the top of the mohawk lines are wonky. All of these things can be fixed (which I'm working on) but it's absolutely shameful coming from a company that has access to mold the master.

Here is what I've done to my most recent one from Efx. I'm holding the mandibles together witch just some plastic glued on for now. I'm straightening some of the mohawk lines currently, making the visor much more "squinty" as it is on the original, and sharpening the mohawk details along with the mandible details. Pay no attention to the left side of the visor where the white/grey is, that's my sculpting medium built up ready for sanding. The right side of the visor that is coated in black is about 95% done other than some touch ups and clean up, so that's what the left side will eventually look like.

View attachment 1540166
View attachment 1540167
Can you elaborate a little bit? Specifically the brow? My helmet arrives tomorrow but I have hi def images that I am comparing your helmet directly to and I am not seeing what you are.

Can you elaborate a little bit? Specifically the brow? My helmet arrives tomorrow but I have hi def images that I am comparing your helmet directly to and I am not seeing what you are.

Sure, here’s what I can show you without getting into any territory I shouldn’t be trudging in.

30638FA5-7239-4B48-8B67-5EE8BD788DDF.png

Here’s the EFX prototype. I don’t believe this is the same mold as the final product at all. Everything is nice, crisp, and sharp. The eyes are nice and squinty as well.
DDC9BD9B-7125-4B4D-989E-547380A08051.jpeg

Here’s the helmet they used as the prototype for the season 2 helmet which came from the final product mold. Lets begin with the visor, this is something I had talked about for a while with Mr Mold Maker (and to be fair, I can't take credit for finding the discrepancy, all credit goes to him).

-they trimmed, to some degree, the visor a little too wide from top to bottom when molding it. I’m not sure why this is, but having them in hand the visor edge (where it meets the plastic lense) slopes downward to the front HARSHLY. It is supposed to slope down a bit but not even remotely as much as it does.
-resolving this by pinching the visor together more works a bit but it still isn’t as squinty as what you see on screen and that downward slope is the tell tale sign that they definitely messed it up near the front.

The brow:
- really not much to say here... the little peaks/ridges on the front of the mohawk just aren't as sharp, when compared to the screen used. See here:
1643672021841.png

-This was easily resolved... I took some high grit sand paper after priming and just went in-between the ridges to bring them out a bit more and you can see the results on mine above, they became very noticeable. Easy fix, took about an hour.

Mohawk lines:

-They're wobbly.... They're wobbly in the show a "bit" just due to molding and clear coat, but these from EFX are TOO wobbly. Easy fix again.. dremell them out a little larger, some bondo and or apoxie sculpt to resculpt them in straighter in the small areas where they're wobbly, and you're good

Bottom of the mandibles:

-This is similar to the visor situation... they just sanded that detail away. Maybe a little bit of bond and sanding can resolve (that's what I'm aiming for at least).
-See above picture from season 2 for comparison along with prototype.

Ears:

-There is a pretty significant detail missing from the vents. I think they somehow just... filled it in before molding?

-Here's the detail I'm talking about.... these don't exist on the EFX

FC5343E6-FDA9-460F-9046-425E15138C45.jpeg

So yeah… they did a terrible job molding and finishing this thing, paint aside. It needs a good refurb for sure which I plan to give it.

Last edited:
Sure, here’s what I can show you without getting into any territory I shouldn’t be trudging in.

View attachment 1540653
Here’s the EFX prototype. I don’t believe this is the same mold as the final product at all. Everything is nice, crisp, and sharp. The eyes are nice and squinty as well.
View attachment 1540654
Here’s the helmet they used as the prototype for the season 2 helmet which came from the final product mold. Lets begin with the visor, this is something I had talked about for a while with Mr Mold Maker (and to be fair, I can't take credit for finding the discrepancy, all credit goes to him).

-they trimmed, to some degree, the visor a little too wide from top to bottom when molding it. I’m not sure why this is, but having them in hand the visor edge (where it meets the plastic lense) slopes downward to the front HARSHLY. It is supposed to slope down a bit but not even remotely as much as it does.
-resolving this by pinching the visor together more works a bit but it still isn’t as squinty as what you see on screen and that downward slope is the tell tale sign that they definitely messed it up near the front. (if you give me a couple days, I'm going to try to get the measurements to match exactly that first prototype pic and I can tell you approximately how much was trimmed away. It's not absolutely tremendous, but they cut enough off that it looks "off")

The brow:
- really not much to say here... the little peaks/ridges on the front of the mohawk just aren't as sharp, when compared to the screen used. See here:
View attachment 1540655
-This was easily resolved... I took some high grit sand paper after priming and just went in-between the ridges to bring them out a bit more and you can see the results on mine above, they became very noticeable. Easy fix, took about an hour.

Mohawk lines:

-They're wobbly.... They're wobbly in the show a "bit" just due to molding and clear coat, but these from EFX are TOO wobbly. Easy fix again.. dremell them out a little larger, some bondo and or apoxie sculpt to resculpt them in straighter in the small areas where they're wobbly, and you're good

Bottom of the mandibles:

-This is similar to the visor situation... they just sanded that detail away. Maybe a little bit of bond and sanding can resolve (that's what I'm aiming for at least).
-See above picture from season 2 for comparison along with prototype.

Ears:

-There is a pretty significant detail missing from the vents. I think they somehow just... filled it in before molding?

-Here's the detail I'm talking about.... these don't exist on the EFX

View attachment 1540657

So yeah… they did a terrible job molding and finishing this thing, paint aside. It needs a good refurb for sure which I plan to give it.
Thank you for sharing

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back