EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

Could be the picture also... Now the Vader helmet was never straight but it still looks a bit too much to me.
I have 2 PCR helmets, and in both the bottom of the breath mask does curve towards the back of the mask as it merges with the left tusk (left as worn).

In a photo taken from above it may appear to curve up (I can see it in jkno's Legend mask photo, but not as much). From below, it may appear to curve down (as in the TIE fighter photo). So I presume this shape feature was in the Rick Baker mold to some degree. It looks more accurately done in the Legend and is more exaggerated in the PCR. The tubes are flatter on the PCR where it meets the cheek which may have necessitated a digital tweak in the shape there to make the pieces fit together more seamlessly. Just a guess.

In subsequent casts for promotional ANH helmets or helmets for ESB/ROTJ, the finisher may have sanded or filled that area to make it more level.

I just got my PCR Helmet. Is it me or does the face of the helmet seem a bit large. It's definitely larger than the other two Vader helmets I own.

I have a JMC ESB Vader and a copy of the Master Replicas ROTS helmet. I know they are different movie versions
but I did not know there was a face size difference in the movie helmets.

I have a JMC ESB Vader and a copy of the Master Replicas ROTS helmet. I know they are different movie versions
but I did not know there was a face size difference in the movie helmets.
I believe the eFx PCR overall is sized accurately. This is also the opinion of many who own authentic casts.

The original ANH helmet was sized to fit David Prowse. A casting of his head was actually used by Brian Muir when he created the original ANH helmet sculpt. And Dave is a big guy at 6'7", with a big head.

I measured the distance between tusk centers on my Don Post Darth Vader Deluxe (DPDLX) helmet, and it also is 108mm. According to the Lucasfilm Certificate of Authenticity it was cast from a screen-used ESB helmet (though many of us think it may be been from a ROTJ touring helmet).

So for the original trilogy helmets, they all should be about the same size. For the ROTS helmet I'd expect it to be smaller because it was made to custom-fit Hayden Christensen's head.

Many fan-made helmets start off as casts of moulds taken from other helmets (for many years the DPDLX was used as that starting point). If the Don Post Classic Action (DPCA) was used, it was a bit smaller, perhaps due to shrinkage of the vinyl used in that helmet.

In any event, shinkage can occur each time a new mould is created to capture any changes made. Generally speaking, the further down the line of recasts of recasts you go, more shrinkage compared to the original helmet used is common (unless an overall size correction is made along the way).

Last edited:
Yes,you must look on the dates of the facedetails...the back is very different from mask to mask.
The ROTS facemask is smaller on the mouthsection.I have a MR Originalhelmet and the distance from tusk(middle) to tusk is only 9,5cm.

Before work I did an eBay search and managed to find a special edition for only$220 buy it now. The cool part is the guy lived 5 minutes from me. I picked it up and he threw in the stand and a huge heavy framed Vader photo/wall art. I couldn't believe I got such a great deal. I'm glad I held out!

As for the helmet, I've owned many licensed and fan made full sized helmets that I sold off through the years. I like this one a lot. The hand brushed paint on the faceplate adds a lot. I polished the dome with a bit of novus clean and shine spray and it looks great.

Well, thanks to stumbling on this thread, I picked up the standard and I love it. It's a little...weird. The light weight, the plastic feel is just so different than any other vader helmet I've had or seen. I had a cking esb fiberglass; I've reworked a few ca helmets; even messed around with/modded a rubies supreme. This one is just so different than any of them, and it's really cool. Looks fantastic and it's nice to have an anh helmet in my collection. I know it may not be to everyone's taste, but I'm really enjoying it.

Here is one of my reworked ca helmets if anyone cares:

Last edited:
Vaderbreath, Photobucket no longer supports 3rd party hosting -- unless you pay them a LOT. Can you use another host? Flickr is free.

Thanks

I sold my Vader CA years ago, after failing miserably to modify it myself. That is some great looking work there!

Vader1001.jpg

Just trying this upload. Wow, that's easy. Anyway, I'm loving this pcr. Yes, it's light, but it looks great.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back