EFX 2016

DARKSIDE72

Sr Member
20160718_213750.jpg20160718_190516.jpg20160718_213814.jpg20160719_001703.jpg20160718_164106.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure Bandai have the SD on their product schedule also, and they are usually right on the money with accuracy. Knowing EFX like we do, the Bandai one will be released LONG before EFX get things moving on theirs.

Excuse my ignorance and by no means do I want to offend anyone interested in this model. I can honestly say I do not know the 'ins and outs' regarding accuracy of this beautiful model VS the original studio model. I'm just trying to see the appeal, is it simply because this one is "studio scale"? Or is there more to it?

Regardless the sheer thought of the price tag this thing will command PLUS shipping, immediately makes me quiver.. I'd much prefer to save a tonne and get one of the larger Bandai models when they are released.

Last edited:
I'm sure Bandai have the SD on their product schedule also, and they are usually right on the money with accuracy. Knowing EFX like we do, the Bandai one will be released LONG before EFX get things moving on theirs.

Excuse my ignorance and by no means do I want to offend anyone interested in this model. I can honestly say I do not know the 'ins and outs' regarding accuracy of this beautiful model VS the original studio model. I'm just trying to see the appeal, is it simply because this one is "studio scale"? Or is there more to it?

Regardless the sheer thought of the price tag this thing will command PLUS shipping, immediately makes me quiver.. I'd much prefer to save a tonne and get one of the larger Bandai models when they are released.

Doesn't Bandai make awesome but small, little models?

This SD is a dream of mine and I will get it if it's ever released. The only other option I know of is the awesome, but nightmare to build Randy Cooper 3' model. Not Studio Scale and Randy took a lot of liberty but mostly a challenge to build.

I would say at 3 or 4k if this ever becomes reality it will sell out. If they pull a QMX 9k stunt I think there would be a riot.

Is Bandai confirmed to be planning something big?

As far as I'm aware.. Nothing has been confirmed beyond what was shown in the video they released a couple of months with their production prototype. Even then the SD prototype is no where near the scale of EFX's version. Probably closer to 2' in length.

I know what you mean about the size of some of Bandai's star wars kits, I wish they were larger aswell. Especially the Slave I. But an accurate two foot Bandai SD would make me really happy.

Though I can certainly understand where you are coming from now. A 4' studio scale star destroyer is probably a grail item to some people. And boy that would be cool! I'm just jealous I don't have the funds, or the room to have a display like that.

Too bad they didn't opt for the ESB version, I really don't like the ANH simplified surface detail/texture loosing sense scale a bit.

Too bad they didn't opt for the ESB version, I really don't like the ANH simplified surface detail/texture loosing sense scale a bit.

I do love the 8' version but then for it to be Studio Scale it would be 8'.

This is one of my Grails so I hope it happens.

A 2' Bandai would be awesome. My small Bandai Falcon is incredible and so easy to put together I just don't see why they can't make a much bigger version the exact same way. 18", 32", 5ft. Done.:thumbsup

The Bandai Falcon is really brilliantly done so they should just up the size :)

Thomas

What's up with that section at the very top of the tower. Isn't that "X" (between the two spheres) vertical when it should be laying down? Not a SD expert and not sure of the different versions/models, but am I onto something?

What's up with that section at the very top of the tower. Isn't that "X" (between the two spheres) vertical when it should be laying down? Not a SD expert and not sure of the different versions/models, but am I onto something?

I thought the same as the 8' one has the "X" down but it is up in the ANH version.

Thomas

RE: The "X" shaped "tractor emitter," that was one of the biggest changes they made to the design for Empire Strikes Back. I always preferred the original version as it seemed more "sinister" to me. But, most people have now gotten used to that structure lying down in the revised version of this ship.

One of the big challenges in recreating the original design was trying to figure out what was on the *back* side of that structure. Fortunately, most of the original details remained intact and they just broke it off and "laid it down" on top of the bridge. But, no good photos exist (at least that I've ever seen) showing the original configuration from behind that are clear enough to see exactly how they did it. With a lot of effort and some careful study I feel I got it so close to the original in this area that it appears just as it did back in 1977.

Remember that the original model was only seen in the opening sequence (plus three or four other brief shots) and we get only a fleeting glance of the top side of the ship in the first film. It was therefore detailed with that in mind. In fact, much of the top side of the model was never even detailed at all! A lot of areas had to be filled in when they reused this model for Empire.

The ESB version was basically scaled up 2X from the original ANH model. But, they also changed the proportions and the overall shape as well, in addition to totally revising nearly all the surface details on the top side of the ship.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back