Eddie Murphy quits the Oscars

Larry Young

Master Member
Brett Ratner let fly in public with language best used with friends, got shown the door and Eddie went in solidarity.

This year will be a mess.

Not surprised by Eddie's departure. Didn't he walk out of the Oscars when he didn't win best supporting actor a few years ago?

I don't know, but I think this time it's more that he wanted to work with his friend and now he's gone there's no reason to stick around.

I'll give him credit for being willing to stand by his friend no matter what, I have a feeling that's pretty rare in Hollywood.

I think if he'd stop doing family friendly stuff he'd be okay, he stopped being entertaining when his edge left. He'll be famous now for quitting the Oscars.

Even if he were doing edgy PG13 stuff it would be good but he's down to rated G. You can get away with a lot in PG13 these days. I want Gumby back dammit.

Even if he were doing edgy PG13 stuff it would be good but he's down to rated G. You can get away with a lot in PG13 these days. I want Gumby back dammit.

That era was the last time I thought the guy was funny.

"C-I-L-L my land-lord."

Many do this, same pattern, they make a name for themselves being on the edge and then back off to being boring and mainstream.

Last edited:
You guys should take a look at the recent interview he gave in Rolling Stone. It was interesting. He seems to be basically done with the family stuff, but he wanted to do things that his kids could watch. Makes sense to me. He's also not been that kid in the leather suit for, what, thirty years now? Folks grow up over time.

BREAKING: Dan Aykroyd to replace Eddie Murphy for Oscar host as part of a bet by two callous millionaires.

Not surprised by Eddie's departure. Didn't he walk out of the Oscars when he didn't win best supporting actor a few years ago?

Yes. He stormed out After he lost the best supporting actor to Alan Arkin.
He thought he was robbed and deserved the Oscar.

Eddie Murphy hasn't been funny for years. I say bring back Billy crystal.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back