Eddie Murphy quits the Oscars

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Larry Young, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

Brett Ratner let fly in public with language best used with friends, got shown the door and Eddie went in solidarity.

This year will be a mess.

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Not surprised by Eddie's departure. Didn't he walk out of the Oscars when he didn't win best supporting actor a few years ago?

3. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

I don't know, but I think this time it's more that he wanted to work with his friend and now he's gone there's no reason to stick around.

4. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'll give him credit for being willing to stand by his friend no matter what, I have a feeling that's pretty rare in Hollywood.

5. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Eh. EM is way past his sell-by date in my opinion.

6. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I think if he'd stop doing family friendly stuff he'd be okay, he stopped being entertaining when his edge left. He'll be famous now for quitting the Oscars.

7. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Congrats to Eddie on his escape from the meat parade.

8. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe there is a tranny that needs a ride somewhere.

9. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Absolutely. How to you go from "Raw" to Dr. Doolittle? :thumbsdown

10. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Even if he were doing edgy PG13 stuff it would be good but he's down to rated G. You can get away with a lot in PG13 these days. I want Gumby back dammit.

11. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

I hear it told having kids will do that to you.

12. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

It's no worse than Steve Martin doing Roxanne.

13. cboath

cboath Master Member

It's very different.

14. CessnaDriver

That era was the last time I thought the guy was funny.

"C-I-L-L my land-lord."

Many do this, same pattern, they make a name for themselves being on the edge and then back off to being boring and mainstream.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  15. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Robin Williams is that way, though I heard his live shows aren't family friendly .

16. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

You guys should take a look at the recent interview he gave in Rolling Stone. It was interesting. He seems to be basically done with the family stuff, but he wanted to do things that his kids could watch. Makes sense to me. He's also not been that kid in the leather suit for, what, thirty years now? Folks grow up over time.

17. JD

JD Master Member

BREAKING: Dan Aykroyd to replace Eddie Murphy for Oscar host as part of a bet by two callous millionaires.

18. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

:lol

Well played, sir. Well played. :thumbsup

19. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

Yes. He stormed out After he lost the best supporting actor to Alan Arkin.
    He thought he was robbed and deserved the Oscar.

Eddie Murphy hasn't been funny for years. I say bring back Billy crystal.

20. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You called it.
    Billy Crystal just tweeted that he will be doing the Oscars again.

21. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

His version of the story is a bit different. He thought Arkin's performance was great, deserved the win, etc., but he was annoyed by everyone coming up to him at the after-party and saying "Hey, tough break, buddy," and such. It was less the losing and more the faux sympathy and assumption that he was heartbroken. At which point he said "Ok, done with this now" and went home.

Now, whether you BELIEVE his version of the events is a different matter, bu at least in the Rolling Stone interview, that was his story.

22. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Neil Patrick Harris would be a great host. Maybe even rival Billy Crystal as the best.

23. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Who amongst us has not made that mistake?!
    [​IMG]

it was dark, and raining. He just wanted to help out.

:lol

24. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Why not try a new host? How daring, how original, how totally unlike Hollywood that would be.

No they'll dig up someone who's hosted twenty other shows and who's safe and dull. Whoopee!

25. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

Eddie Murphy's best acting role was as a computer generated *.

26. JD

JD Master Member

When was Billy Crystal last relevant?

27. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Rather likely he quit after seeing the box office for "The Heist" He'd have to make the entire show about how badly it tanked.

28. Frank

Frank Active Member

Man the oscars, hell movies and the people who make them have lost their mystery, magic and class in the age of Facebook, TMZ, Twitter and Perez Hilton, and the Oscars have become a big, bloated parody of itself over the years that it's not even funny.

The horrendous ratings that the Oscars show has gotten over the last half-decade (and several other awards shows have had equally terrible TV ratings during this same time period) demonstrates that most people (not everyone) have grown tired of watching a roomful of obscenely wealthy, narcissistic, socially insulated, politically correct, self-indulgent fraternity boys and sorority girls (disguised as actors, producers, studio heads, directors and screenwriters) spend nearly four hours congratulating themselves for producing weak, mediocre, derivative and formulaic junk which has no real merit, and the entire show is designed as another way to advertise a bunch of crappy movies that'll be on DVD/Blu-Ray the day after the show is telecast.

Since ABC paid a boatload of cash to televise this show for the next decade, it would be nice if they could streamline the show to include those categories that most people are interested in (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Original Score) and cut out the bloat and unnecessary filler, like those lame musical numbers that are more like high school fare, and film montages that range from boring to silly, that slows the show down.

Sorry about the rant I'm just fed up with the media in general.

29. BrotherWilliam

BrotherWilliam Well-Known Member

*applauds Frank*

We sit here and ***** about the remakes of movies, that usually fail to come anywhere near the original, and the overall box ticking of movie formula. And usually the best picture award goes to some tearjerker about someone's personal journey to overcome cancer or a disability or something.

All the technical awards have been moved to their own night, so we no longer have to sit through awards for best left-handed flange whacker improvement. But we could bump a few others. All the short film categories, probably the foreign film ones as well (since so few people see them anyway), and yes, drop the dance numbers of the song nominations.

And while I like the costume award, when was the last time a movie that wasn't a historical period piece win the costuming award?

The last few years I've just watched the highlights on Youtube.

30. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

What's bugged me about the Oscars is that it's just a list of rewards, a list that takes me all of half a minute to read through the next day. And yet they somehow manage to turn it into a five-hour spectacle. The Superbowl is the only TV show that can get away with that.

31. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Princess Bride
    Monster's Inc

32. CessnaDriver

The industry is one of the most self congratulatory that exists.
    In one week in LA area aren't there just dozens of awards ceremonies?
    I think I read something like that once.

33. robn1

robn1 Master Member

They have to put on a grand spectacle, to insure a nomination for "Best award show".

34. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

the only Oscars I have ever or will ever watch are the ones in the little pond at the car wash.

35. CessnaDriver

I soured on it for life when Star Wars lost to Annie freekin' Hall.

Yeah, right. People dress up like Annie Hall characters 35 years later.

Pathetic. I least I learned young it was all a load of crap.

36. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Had a similar moment in '97 when L.A. Confidential lost to Titanic.

37. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did not see a thread about the nominees. Is this crowd really that jaded about the Oscars? ..
    It is usually televised live over here, and at local time, that is between 3 am and 6 am in the morning on a Monday. I usually get up at 5 am to see the more important awards.

I hate that Meryl Streep got nominated for portraying Thatcher. Streep emotes all over the place, like a fairy grandmother in a children's tale. She does simply not get the character ... but of course she is going to win. :rolleyes

38. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Don't give a crap, really. I'll read who won later, and probably roll my eyes when I do.

39. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I used to watch the Oscars for the extravagant skits they put on between presenters; anyone remember the act where they brought out nearly EVERY Bond villain played by the original actors?

I also watch for the montage of actors who have passed.

These days it seems to all be about the host, and what kind of comedy routine they can get away with.

Yawn.

I couldn't care less who is nominated for what anymore. Scorsese finally got his; that's all that matters. ;)

Kevin

40. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Miracle Max > Axel Foley

41. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, but for the wrong film. They should've given him an oscar for "Best Picture that we Never Awarded When We Should Have" for Goodfellas. The Departed was nothing special.

The Oscars are, and have been, a joke for some time now. If you like celebrity fashion, it's worth watching (I have a friend who loves the red carpet aspect of all awards shows). Otherwise? Pfft. Who gives a crap.

42. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I didn't even remember what it was for. That's how much I care. :lol

All I know is that (before The Departed) it was this twisted joke that Scorsese would "not" get an Oscar despite all the amazing films he has made in his lifetime.

I think one year it was Jon Stewart hosting and he summed it up best-

Three 6 Mafia had just won the Oscar for Best Original Song- "It's Hard out here for a Pimp"... No joke; that was the title. And Jon Stewart adds-

"Three 6 Mafia: 1 Oscar
    Martin Scorsese: Zero Oscars."

Kevin

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012