E-11 Magnetic Stand

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Son of a Pear, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

I've been after a nice looking stand for both my E-11 and D-44 for a while now, but I'm not a huge fan of the simple acrylic or wood stands that can be bought. So I've been on a mission the last few months (this is very much a side project to changing 3 month old nappies/diapers) to make a nice looking blaster stand with as little fabrication and work as possible.

The biggest problem I came across was the "U" shaped saddles at the top of the poles that hold the blaster. I tried loads of different things from industrial pipe saddles to scaffolding clamps, nothing seemed to look right. I had a couple of small strong magnets around, tried them out and they did a grand job :) I put two into my blaster (The front magnet went into the stock and as a bonus I put another magnet into the muzzle and now the stock rotates and locks into the closed position) and two magnets on the top of the poles.

It's not fully completed, I still need to smooth over the magnets in the blaster, redo the pole magnet pole tops in silver making them flush and a complete general clean-up, but you get the idea. The magnets hold the blaster really well, a lot better than I imagined they would, you can even try and tilt the blaster and it will correct itself.

DSC00948.JPG DSC00947.JPG DSC00936.JPG DSC00938.JPG DSC00937.JPG

Here's a list of the items that were used in case anyone is interested in making their own.

Top Mesh - Slotted Grill
    http://www.customcargrills.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Perf_SS

Under Mesh
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-304-Mesh-30-012-Wire-Cloth-Screen-12-x24-/121749818152?

Wood Base - Artist wood Easel - 6" x 24"
    http://www.utrechtart.com/American-...t-Panel--7-8-in-MP-13672-001-i1031941.utrecht

Pole End Caps - For M12 Thread
    http://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Thre...1443542928&sr=8-2&keywords=Rod+Cap+M12+Thread

Poles - M12 Thread
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWGZRNS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Magnets - 3/8" x 1/4"
    http://www.magnet4sale.com/n52-neodymium-magnet-dia-3-8x1-4-rare-earth-disc-magnet/

Everything else including the rubber grommets, countersunk washers and screw, I had already.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Dredgen, jkno, Nick K and 3 others like this.
  2. SpiritOfMaul

SpiritOfMaul New Member

That sir, is a brilliant idea......

3. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

Nice work

4. jkno

jkno Master Member

Very cool stand, great job! I'm not a big fan of mirrored acrylic stands, so a metal stand for an Imperial E-11 is the best choice IMO.

5. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

Thanks jkno, It was actually a picture of your e-11 stand that gave me the idea for the mesh base. It was the best stand I could find on google images, cheers

6. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's very attractive.

See what I did there? :p

Rosleff and Sni9er like this.
  7. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

If I turn it around it becomes repulsive :facepalm

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  8. SpiritOfMaul

SpiritOfMaul New Member

No dad jokes!!

9. jkno

jkno Master Member

The merit belongs to Rob, who made the stand for me. :)

10. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

This is awesome!!!!!!!!

Can I ask what did you use for the grill base material??

Thanks

Tom

11. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

Thanks very much.

Do you mean the mesh under the grill? that's was some "Stainless Steel 304 Mesh #30 .012 Wire Cloth Screen" got it off Ebay for about $20 for 1' x 2'

12. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Excellent. That was going to be by next question but I was actually was asking about the grill??

Thanks

Tom

13. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  14. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

gyoung is right, got that off ebay too, look under car grills and you can get all different patterns too.

15. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Thanks guys.

Tom

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  16. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I have to say , Son of a Pear , that's a really nice display , especially for Star Wars blasters....great to see the grill look for other props looking sooooo good , Bravo Sir !!!

17. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Word !!

I'm gonna copy your stand for my Stormy if you don't mind.???

It looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe do a small one for my Biker Scout blaster as well if I ever get the one I want again.

Tom

18. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I don't have any lightsabers , which I do want a graflex V2 version ,but if I did have one , I would use this same grill with red lighting under the grill , like in Empire strikes back floor look , that's my idea , in the future anyway.....hehe...I love this truck grill....possibilities are endless with this version grill , anything star wars works !!! Something I plan to do one day , if I can ever get a Luke ROTJ saber

19. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

Good of you to say, cheers.

I am thinking I should have put something around the grill edges to cover them, like your silver edging. I might steal that idea next time :)

20. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  21. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Sir , you use that idea , anytime sir , glad to assist , love your idea as well :D :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

:lol :D....it took me a second , but I got it after making the sounds a couple of times......:lol....my old mind is slow these days

22. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Yeah I was not sure if that would work. Anytime I see any Predator prop that music starts.

- - - Updated - - -

I am just gonna say it again.

This stand is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

23. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

I'll update the pic when I'm at work, I changed out the black pole tops for silver ones which are also flush.

I've got the same material to make the same stand but for my Dl-44 and I'm thinking about making some smaller ones for my sabers I also need to start getting plaques for them all too.

24. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

This is one of the best looking and ideas for a stand I've seen.
    The magnet idea opens up a whole new world.
    It makes the setup look so clean.

Also want to ask, has anybody been able to find this "grille"?
    I can't find it for the life of me.

25. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

26. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Your awesome!
    Thank you.

27. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Son of a Pear , here is the trim , I ordered from Home Depot , if this helps, its called J-trim .....check it out , took me forever to find this stuff....you can only order it online , you cant get this stuff in the store...at least I couldn't anywhere here....but I ordered this stuff twice and shipping was fast , I always ordered 2 , in case of cutting there was a slight error....this stuff is easy to cut with a dremel too ....here is the link , just word of advice always order extra....LOL...believe me , it can go wrong , and it did with me, glad I ordered the other with it...LOL

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fasade-4-ft-Brushed-Nickel-Large-Profile-J-Trim-176-29/203232489

28. jkno

jkno Master Member

BTW what is this ROTJ blaster made of? Asking this because a magnet stand without the saddle holders might not be enough for a metal blasters like Master Replicas, Sterling, MGC or even a metal pipe conversion.

29. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

Absolutely looks terrible....:sick

The whole point of having a stand is to enhance the presentation of a quality replica......that is why the best stands are CLEAR glass/acrylic.

The quality of the work requires minimal support to present itself as awesome.

Is your work not already awesome??....by your own definition it would seem ....not.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  30. jkno

jkno Master Member

I don't agree with this. For me elegant lightsabers and space fighters/ships can have a mirror base and clear acrylic stands, no problem, but for a rough blaster and a studio scale land vehicle I totally prefer its environment - in the blaster case a stand that resembles a weapons rack or a genuine gun holder/stand (the Aliens HGC M41A Pulse Rifle wall stand is superb and an acrylic/mirror version would have been out of place). These kinds of custom stands add up to the entire display, showing the blaster in its medium, and not just an idealized space. Besides all these, looking at how many MR E-11 blasters come with cracked mirrors due to weight (and then consider a real Sterling with added metal greeblies), I'll go with a metal stand any day of the week.

31. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

Here's the final version with silver pole ends

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443461727.576783.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkno likes this.
  32. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

It's made of impact resin, one of skkunky's (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237795&highlight=sskunky+e11)

The magnets I'm using are fairly small and they seem to be a little overkill. For a full metal replica, which must be about 6lbs off the top of my head, if you upped the magnet size or even used the slightly curved ones for the barrel to nestle into a little better I think it could work, it would be close though.

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 10.53.41 AM.png

33. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

I realise that this is your opinion but I agree with jkno.

As clear as pieces of acrylic can be, you can still see them and in my opinion they still look like cheap and nasty pieces of plastic.

Having the stand actually resemble something that could have come from the set in my mind adds something to the aesthetic that you just don't get from acrylic.

34. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I see some other props that need to be shown off.

- - - Updated - - -

I read this and was waiting to come to the joke part.

Rather obnoxious comment in someones show off thread, plus you are beyond wrong. Like it is not possible to be more wrong..

You need to stop smoking, drinking, or taking whatever it is that is frying your brain.

This stand is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. jkno

jkno Master Member

Interesting. A magnetic saddle could work for the metal blasters too. But the beauty of your stand is not in the magnets but the stand itself. I'm interested in having made a stand for my MGC, and an acrylic stand is out of question (not my cup of tea for a solid metal blaster). I'm only interested in a metal stand, a stand like yours, like my old one (the one that inspired you) or like the one PWC intends to make on FISD.

IF there is a joke there, RogueTrooper's (so called) irony doesn't translate too well, for the simple reason he is selling ... acrylic stands that come with a resin blaster. Oh, well... To each his own, I totally like this metal stand made by Son of a Pear! :thumbsup

Son of a Pear likes this.
  36. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

Just updates first post with material links

37. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Son of a Pear , that's very nice of you to let others know the materials you used for the entire base build...I know others , love your concept design for your blaster , creativity , is the best design , then just machines cutting them !!! I for one , am a fan , scratchbuilding something ....so with that being said....its fantastic bro

38. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

You Sir,.. are awesome.

I ended up, by fluke luck, snagging a full and complete MR Stormy blaster with case so if I get this job I am keeping that and gonna use your base idea for my Biker Scout blaster and other stuff.

Thanks so much for all the links. Very helpful for many projects.

You rock!!!!!!!!!

Oh,..and if I don't get the job there will be a nice MR Stormy blaster in the JY real soon :(

Tom

39. propmainiac

propmainiac Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think your stand is excellent! Like the car grille use! If i dont get my lighted blaster display done i will definately make this happen if thats okay?

40. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

I've gotten so much out of this forum it's always feels nice to help out others anyway I can.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole reason I used an artists easel for the base and not a solid piece of wood was so that I could fit lights into it. Never got round to, but after a few other projects I'll make it happen. If you do decide to go the same way and add lights to the base let me know how it works out.

And it's definitely okay, I'd love to see whatever you manage to do.

41. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I agree , that's what makes this forum , ahead of all the rest....fantastic work and creativity and skill are always going to be here , but the fact , that we are all hear for each other means , much...much more...this forum rocks !!! :thumbsup

42. propmainiac

propmainiac Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My E -11 display is going to mimic the lighted wall panels on the Death Star. Cutting the slots from plastic then using plexiglass behind it. Then going to light it from behind.ill post pics once the build progresses.

43. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Can I ask how did you secure the magnets in the E-11 and the tops of the pipes???

I have had interesting results trying to epoxy magnets. Kind of like chasing a T-1000,..and I'm not kidding.

Thanks

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking this set up for some lightsaber stands.

This grill you used with a Ep IV Vader saber. Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. Son of a Pear

Son of a Pear New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443814031.028031.jpg
    I drilled the pole ends and just used epoxy. Same for the e-11. But since mine is resin I didn't have any trouble with magnet push back off ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443814263.776328.jpg the barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Excellent.

Thank you so much.

Tom

46. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The metal stand definitely fits the idea of a weapon of this purpose. I get the whole acrylic super fancy stands some times, but I think it could definitely look cheap when done wrong, and I've definitely seen some awesome acrylic stands that have engravings/markings. "An elegant weapon for a more civilized age" can have a nice elegant stand, but a blaster definitely needs that "armory" style stand, where it looks like you can pull it off the wall, put on your storm trooper helmet, head down to the range and miss every target...

That being said, I love the stand. I love the look and feel of metal, and the metal just makes it looks like its off of the assembly line. It looks great.