E-11 Magnetic Stand

Son of a Pear

I've been after a nice looking stand for both my E-11 and D-44 for a while now, but I'm not a huge fan of the simple acrylic or wood stands that can be bought. So I've been on a mission the last few months (this is very much a side project to changing 3 month old nappies/diapers) to make a nice looking blaster stand with as little fabrication and work as possible.

The biggest problem I came across was the "U" shaped saddles at the top of the poles that hold the blaster. I tried loads of different things from industrial pipe saddles to scaffolding clamps, nothing seemed to look right. I had a couple of small strong magnets around, tried them out and they did a grand job :) I put two into my blaster (The front magnet went into the stock and as a bonus I put another magnet into the muzzle and now the stock rotates and locks into the closed position) and two magnets on the top of the poles.

It's not fully completed, I still need to smooth over the magnets in the blaster, redo the pole magnet pole tops in silver making them flush and a complete general clean-up, but you get the idea. The magnets hold the blaster really well, a lot better than I imagined they would, you can even try and tilt the blaster and it will correct itself.

DSC00948.JPGDSC00947.JPGDSC00936.JPGDSC00938.JPGDSC00937.JPG

Here's a list of the items that were used in case anyone is interested in making their own.

Top Mesh - Slotted Grill
http://www.customcargrills.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Perf_SS

Under Mesh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-304-Mesh-30-012-Wire-Cloth-Screen-12-x24-/121749818152?

Wood Base - Artist wood Easel - 6" x 24"
http://www.utrechtart.com/American-...t-Panel--7-8-in-MP-13672-001-i1031941.utrecht

Pole End Caps - For M12 Thread
http://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Thre...1443542928&sr=8-2&keywords=Rod+Cap+M12+Thread

Poles - M12 Thread
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWGZRNS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Magnets - 3/8" x 1/4"
http://www.magnet4sale.com/n52-neodymium-magnet-dia-3-8x1-4-rare-earth-disc-magnet/

Everything else including the rubber grommets, countersunk washers and screw, I had already.

Last edited:
Very cool stand, great job! I'm not a big fan of mirrored acrylic stands, so a metal stand for an Imperial E-11 is the best choice IMO.

Thanks jkno, It was actually a picture of your e-11 stand that gave me the idea for the mesh base. It was the best stand I could find on google images, cheers

Very cool stand, great job! I'm not a big fan of mirrored acrylic stands, so a metal stand for an Imperial E-11 is the best choice IMO.

I've been after a nice looking stand for both my E-11 and D-44 for a while now, but I'm not a huge fan of the simple acrylic or wood stands that can be bought. So I've been on a mission the last few months (this is very much a side project to changing 3 month old nappies/diapers) to make a nice looking blaster stand with as little fabrication and work as possible.

The biggest problem I came across was the "U" shaped saddles at the top of the poles that hold the blaster. I tried loads of different things from industrial pipe saddles to scaffolding clamps, nothing seemed to look right. I had a couple of small strong magnets around, tried them out and they did a grand job :) I put two into my blaster (The front magnet went into the stock and as a bonus I put another magnet into the muzzle and now the stock rotates and locks into the closed position) and two magnets on the top of the poles.

It's not fully completed, I still need to smooth over the magnets in the blaster, redo the pole magnet pole tops in silver making them flush and a complete general clean-up, but you get the idea. The magnets hold the blaster really well, a lot better than I imagined they would, you can even try and tilt the blaster and it will correct itself.

View attachment 512509View attachment 512508View attachment 512504View attachment 512503View attachment 512505

This is awesome!!!!!!!!

Can I ask what did you use for the grill base material??

Thanks

Tom

Thanks very much.

Do you mean the mesh under the grill? that's was some "Stainless Steel 304 Mesh #30 .012 Wire Cloth Screen" got it off Ebay for about $20 for 1' x 2'

Excellent. That was going to be by next question but I was actually was asking about the grill??

Thanks

Tom

I have to say , Son of a Pear , that's a really nice display , especially for Star Wars blasters....great to see the grill look for other props looking sooooo good , Bravo Sir !!!

I have to say , Son of a Pear , that's a really nice display , especially for Star Wars blasters....great to see the grill look for other props looking sooooo good , Bravo Sir !!!

Word !!

I'm gonna copy your stand for my Stormy if you don't mind.???

It looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe do a small one for my Biker Scout blaster as well if I ever get the one I want again.

Tom

Word !!

I'm gonna copy your stand for my Stormy if you don't mind.???

It looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe do a small one for my Biker Scout blaster as well if I ever get the one I want again.

Tom
I don't have any lightsabers , which I do want a graflex V2 version ,but if I did have one , I would use this same grill with red lighting under the grill , like in Empire strikes back floor look , that's my idea , in the future anyway.....hehe...I love this truck grill....possibilities are endless with this version grill , anything star wars works !!! Something I plan to do one day , if I can ever get a Luke ROTJ saber

Good of you to say, cheers.

I am thinking I should have put something around the grill edges to cover them, like your silver edging. I might steal that idea next time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back