Dustin Stranger Things Roast Beef Costume

Thanks so much for all this insight! Especially on the watches! Very helpful.

I also was trying to narrow down the binoculars as well! Thanks for that! I kept getting steered towards some very similar pairs from Tasco. Picked up the right one yesterday!

No worries on the off topic stuff. Jonathan’s camera looks great! Keep it coming! :D

As far as the bag, all I know for now is that it looks like it’s got to be a camping / hiking / military bag of some kind. What with all the pockets and the loops that he’s put batteries into (which is a great detail). I’m still looking around!

I grabbed a working Realistic Micro-18 for a close approximation to the screen recorder (Micro-15) and plan on trying to splice together the Taped message on the show and having it play back on the recorder via microcassette. I’ll let you guys know if I get anywhere with that.

Absolutely man! Happy to help!

And congrats on picking up the binoculars! Here are some side-by-sides for anyone else that’s looking for them!
1D54006D-1F37-47D2-BC69-C8443BFA9725.jpeg

CA92ACE0-50A2-4CAD-801E-7F066ED21005.jpeg

And thank you so much! It was so fun piecing it all together! While we’re on the topic of off topic, Nancy’s vintage cutout dress was made by Wendy Originals! Here it is in an alternate color that I picked up for my wife! If anyone wants to take a stab at sewing a recreation and wants some more details or photos, just let me know!
6E3E00B7-3323-4D9C-A19B-BA70711BCA6A.jpeg

The backpack definitely has a military/hiking rucksack feel to it. I wonder if the extra loops for batteries were added by Amy Parris, though. Quite a bit of customization was done to it, and the specific size of the loops, combined with the rough edges on some of them, makes me think they weren’t stock. Just food for thought when searching for it!

And that is so awesome about the tape recorder! Congratulations! I love the idea of the message from the show being on it! So fun! Let us know if you tackle that one!

Hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend!

The backpack definitely has a military/hiking rucksack feel to it. I wonder if the extra loops for batteries were added by Amy Parris, though. Quite a bit of customization was done to it, and the specific size of the loops, combined with the rough edges on some of them, makes me think they weren’t stock. Just food for thought when searching for it!

Update on the backpack. Looks like, in the same vain as Dustin’s vest, it’s a European style product. Check out this bag from Rothco:
CDD6C617-C635-43FF-AAC7-BCCE2611E0AB.jpeg

This is the product photo you’ll most likely see. However, they seemed to have stuffed it full for those. On others, where it’s more empty, it begins to resemble his bag even more (Note: The Season 3 photos have been leveled in photoshop so the colors are slightly off from the original):

33A752CF-CC6C-4185-8989-0D34BF09EE3D.jpeg
stfy302-498-_cropped-jpg.jpg

414815170305_7.jpg
stfy302-1206-_cropped-jpg.jpg

I'd say that's a dead on match for the overall base of the bag, the drawstrings are just tucked away. Best part, it's on Amazon for just $25. Now to figure out all those darn patches.

Dude!! That’s it!! Phenomenal work!! This one’s gonna be fun to modify!

It is going to be fun! I've ID'd some of the patches or close approximations that match the spirit. Others, I can tell what they are supposed to be but haven't found matches yet. There's at least one custom "Camp Know Where" patch, so it's possible that there are other custom patches as well.

After I tackle the patches, it'll be ID'ing those silver canisters looped on the front, and the speaker looking thing in one of the pockets.

It is going to be fun! I've ID'd some of the patches or close approximations that match the spirit. Others, I can tell what they are supposed to be but haven't found matches yet. There's at least one custom "Camp Know Where" patch, so it's possible that there are other custom patches as well.

After I tackle the patches, it'll be ID'ing those silver canisters looped on the front, and the speaker looking thing in one of the pockets.

Excellent work man! I’m excited to see more updates, too! And on the silver canisters, I think they might just be D batteries - what do you think?

Crushing it!! I think you’re spot on!

So as far as the patches, I've ID'd SOME, but I can't tell what others are or if they're custom or what:

FOUND
  • Ghostbusters "I've Been Slimed" either patch or button. Can't tell which.
    • 1565116633396.jpeg
      s-l300.jpg
  • Nasa Lapel Pin
    • 81E%2Bi-3WKUL._UX569_.jpg

UNKNOWN OR NOT IDENTIFIED (BREAKDOWN)
  • DPatches.jpg

I'm aware this looks like I'm a crazy guy creating a conspiracy theory, but thought this was the best way to show what was going on. I've included the ID'd patches / buttons and pins as well as artwork approximations of some of the patches.

A few things to note:
  • The Camp Know Where patch is, without-a-doubt, a custom patch that isn't sold anywhere. This brings into question is some or all of the other patches are customs as well.
  • The NASA patch looks like a custom patch of the Nasa Meatball that removes the actual "NASA" text. I've opted to just grab a NASA meatball patch and use that instead.
  • I've ID'd the obvious NASA lapel pin, but not the Computer one.
  • There are still 2-3 pins I have yet to identify. If anyone happens to know a place where there's a better view of them, feel free to post it.

If anyone has a recollection of ever seeing some of the unidentified patches or pins. Let me know! It's highly possible that several of them were designed and created custom for the show. In the meantime the only solutions I have is to keep searching, find ones that are close enough in spirit, or have custom patches made.

Hey all! I don’t have any Dustin info to add at the moment, but thought I’d share some Lucas stuff for fun!
B9EA0360-2740-4A0F-A9E9-679D2020666B.jpeg

The shoes are Converse Fastbreak 83 Mid, the shirt is Target brand Cat & Jack, and the hat is a new old stock original.

I even found a vintage shirt along the way that looks like it would’ve served as inspiration for his Karate Kid sweatshirt!
3F97B344-D484-4324-B575-4B51003443B4.jpeg

Looking forward to more progress on the backpack!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and a great start to the week!

Last edited:
Hey all! I’ve seen some good alternatives to Dustin’s vest out there if anyone’s looking! Searching for “vintage cotton fishing vest” or “vintage denim fishing vest” pulls up a lot of results that are just a quick dye (maybe a pocket removal) and a light sanding away from a great approximation of his vest.

3CD16C6A-31A3-4B64-B832-57576D9176F2.jpeg

Even found yet another iteration of his Armitron!
5D5C9E84-1CF2-45F0-85CD-3F0B54F082BC.jpeg

Hope you’re all having a great week so far!

Hey all! I don’t have any Dustin info to add at the moment, but thought I’d share some Lucas stuff for fun!

Looking forward to more progress on the backpack!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and a great start to the week!

Always love these posts. On or off topic. This is sort of turning into a general S3 thread and I don't mind!

I am slowly making progress on the backpack. I've gotten my NASA patch and pin, Ghostbusters Button, and a close-enough red and yellow atom patch. Still waiting on a decent substitute for one of the other patches as well. I'll post photos tonight!

Hey all! I’ve seen some good alternatives to Dustin’s vest out there if anyone’s looking! Searching for “vintage cotton fishing vest” or “vintage denim fishing vest” pulls up a lot of results that are just a quick dye (maybe a pocket removal) and a light sanding away from a great approximation of his vest.

Even found yet another iteration of his Armitron!

Darn. These are better than the vest I ended up going with, but I've attached the patch so it's too late now. I'm committed. Lol.

You know, for a watch with FOUR different iterations, I can't believe I can't find it anywhere.

--------------------------------------

EDIT: As promised jonnytrooper . Progress photos on the bag! Excuse the slightly weird shape of the bag. I stuffed a pillow in it so it would stand up.

Since I can’t discern the patch designs with enough certainty to get them all custom made, I’ve opted for a spiritual replica:
F5B92033-562E-4BB1-AA91-60FC1CCA5BD9.jpeg
29405384-F48A-477E-89B7-8A78E655C162.jpeg
9CA99513-0A2A-4977-8BC6-809CE80AC25E.jpeg

The Ghostbusters button is excellent. Very happy with it. It’s a proper vintage one, but it wouldn’t be hard to have these custom made.

The NASA Patch isn’t totally accurate (as I posted before, I looks like they have a logoless version) and it's a bit too big, but I like it! The pin is there on the top as well.

Honestly I’m pretty happy with the Atom patch as well, even if it is also too big. The original patch definitely has text on it, but seeing how I can’t tell what the text says, I actually found a great patch on Etsy with color options, so I asked for Red and Gold and it turned out great!

I’ve got a pretty cool sub in for the Primary colored camp patch with the globe on it that’s on the top zipper pouch. An “Amateur Radio” patch with a similar color scheme and a similar globe in the center. I’ll update when it arrives.

Now, I’ve still got to find a good round compass rose patch that I can get in Green / White. I also need to try and find some solution for the blue and red radio tower pentagon patch. Might have to just design that one and have it custom since it’s so specific.

As far as the Camp Know Where patch, I was gonna just grab the official full color one, but it’s all sold out and I don’t really want to pay $25 for the full patch set just for a version that’s not screen accurate. So that’ll be a custom job as well.

Then off to figuring out the rest of the pins. There’s the computer one, two unidentifiable ones on the left side, and another one above the Red atom patch.

9C4668D4-1B84-40B7-AF76-009533362075.jpeg

Also, bonus picture of the Russian book and the (close enough) Realistic Tape Recorder in the top pouch! Let’s just say it plays a weird secret message with some music in the background...but that’s for another update.

Last edited:
Amazing!!! Your backpack looks SO good! Just fantastic work on everything, man! Can’t wait for more updates!

Thank you!! It's been fun! I'm in the midst of designing the custom patches (Radio Tower, Compass, and Camp Know Where). If they turn out well in person, I can post them here for others to use.

I'm also still trying to ID the other pins. There two on the side, one looks like some kind of blue and gold miniature badge of some kind. Can't really see the second one on the side. There's a third on the front pocket that looks like a flag or a patriotic symbol of some kind, I swear I've seen it before. I'll post pictures tonight of those to see if anyone has any input.

Alright gang. Backpack Update

I finally decided I needed better reference, so I upgraded to 4K for Netflix this month. This helped out just enough to make some decisions.

For this post. PATCHES.
I'm 99% sure that every patch is custom. The only thing I've found was the Ghostbusters one and that ended up being a button, not a patch. See below:
  • BUTTON 01.jpg

There are SIX patches on his bag.
  • Green / White Compass Rose
    • PATCH 01A Compass.jpg
      PATCH 01B Compass.jpg
  • Red / Yellow Atom Patch.
    • PATCH 02A Atom.jpg
  • Maroon / White "Camp Know Where" Patch
    • PATCH 03A Camp 85.jpg
      PATCH 03B Camp 85.jpg
  • Nasa Style Telescope Patch
    • PATCH 04A Telescope.jpg
  • Pentagon Red/Blue Radio Tower Patch
    • PATCH 05A Radio Tower.jpg
      PATCH 05B Radio Tower.jpg
  • Primary Colored Old "Camp Know Where" Patch
    • PATCH 06A Camp Old.jpg
So, here's things that have changed since I last posted:
  • Ghostbusters is definitely confirmed as being a button. It was hard to tell before, but now you can definitely see that it is not attached as a patch would be.
  • The Compass Patch definitely has Cardinal Directions on it. Couldn't see the letters previously.
  • The Nasa patch looks like a custom patch that has the same basic look, but the red now appears to be a graphic of a telescope. Working on a design for this one.
  • The top patch definitely appears to be an older "Camp Know Where" Patch. I'll work on this design as well.
Finally, the small digital graphics you see next to some of the patches are the designs that I sent in. It's too late to undo them, but they are not as close to screen accurate as they could be. For example:
  • Camp Know Where '85 patch seems to use the Hat Design (just the stars and planet) versus the more complex design of the T-Shirt. I sent in the T-Shirt design...oops.
  • The radio tower patch isn't quite right either. The blue needs to be lighter, and the tower doesn't look quite right.
That's about it on the patches. I'll let you guys know when they come in and when I have some new designs.

Backpack Update #2. The pins.

As seen previously. The Nasa pin was a pretty simple find. However, there are about four other pins I can't ID/haven't found. Could be custom as well.

• First up, The computer pin.Haven't found it, so I may create a design for it and get it custom made.
    • Bag Top Patches and Pins.jpg
  • Next, the pins that I can't make out any detail on. The red circledones are the main two that are hard to ID.
    • Bag Left Front Patches Pins_CIRCLE.jpg
      Bag Left Front Patches Pins Tool Roll_CIRCLE.jpg
    • They look sort of fantasy style. One looks like a crest of some kind. Blue and Gold with a Banner underneath. The other resembles...maybe a sword and shield? VERY hard to tell. I'm open for some ideas or thoughts on these.
  • Finally, the last pin that remains is this small one (pink circled) above the red patch on the front of the bag. There's also another view of the previous pins (circled red)
    • Bag Front Patches Pin_CIRCLE.jpg
    • Now, initially I thought it looked like a wavy flag or something, but with the 4K version it looks a bit more like an ice cream sandwich with a bite missing. What do you guys think?
      • ilasandwichwbite-1209382-png.png.ulenscale.600x600.png
That about does it for the pins.

Backpack Update #3. The microphone / speaker.

I've also been on the hunt for this thing:
Bag Speaker and Tool Roll.jpg
Bag Speaker.jpg

It looks to me a bit like a CB Radio Microphone or External Speaker. I've asked around and haven't gotten anywhere with an exact model or whether it's a speaker or a microphone. The box shape looks for like a speaker, but the grille reads more like a microphone.

Here's similar items I've found while researching:
305600CHR.jpg
D104-M6B-2.jpg
1_a11daeb4e58aaaafcc4e51bf425fdb7c.jpg

I actually managed to find that last one for relatively cheap. So it's on it's way. I'm going to see if I can easily get it apart and secure the grille onto one of these:
s-l300.jpg

If that doesn't look promising, then I'll still have the chrome mic to fall back to.

So, this one still hasn't been found yet!

To wrap up, Piper I have been looking and looking for that tool roll and I have found no leads yet. It's very out there and specific. Probably custom made at this point.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back