Dune (2021) Still Suit build

Okay, so now I actually started tinkering around a bit...
I started off with the torso-part and used 4mm EVA-foam. Basically tried to brake some ground and understand how the different parts might work together.
From pix like this I figured there's a rectangular neck and shoulder piece:

dune-2020-movie-timothee-chalamet-uhdpaper.com-4K-3.2740.jpg

As there's no seam in the middle of the collar I cut out the opening like this:

IMG_20210831_103050.jpg

Then put in a stripe of foam to complete the collar:

IMG_20210831_104119.jpg
IMG_20210831_105451.jpg

The second part for the shoulder piece is more of a wild guess, but after playing around with different shapes I ended up with this:
(You can cut them out kind of "interlocking" to safe a bit on the material...)

IMG_20210831_114402.jpg
IMG_20210831_114438.jpg

Then I made some cut-outs and put the pieces together like this:

IMG_20210831_120541.jpg
IMG_20210831_120729.jpg

At first I thought the parts going down the side of the thorax have a curved shape. But as the straight parts are attached a bit at an angle and the material bends a bit when put on the body, I'd say the basic shape is actually straight.
The dimensions are not really right yet, but I'd say as a proof of concept I'm already quite happy.

IMG_20210831_120829.jpg

Last edited:
What do you think the original costumes are made of?
I'd say it's some sort of fiber-rubber-compound. I don't know the official technical term for that. The type of material they use for floor-mats and flip-flops and the like.
At first I thought they used Neopren, but those threads on the cutouts you see here point to some sort of fiber-inlay:

Still Suit material.jpg

Epic! I love build like this templating as you go. Really really cool ,gonna watch this one.
Will your final build be the foam? or will you go with the mat material or something similar ?

Some progress on the torso piece:

IMG_20210903_110606.jpg

Adding the tubing and corner-protection already makes for a more legit overall feel. :cool:

With more progress I'm also more concerned with stability and practicability (meaning I'll have to be able to put it on and off by myself...)

So I added a piece of sturdy leather as a basis to hold the parts together:

IMG_20210902_135106.jpg

Also added some straps of an old military carrying harness to fasten the whole construction around my body:

IMG_20210902_135131.jpg

Still a lot more way to go, but slowly getting there...

Okay, time for a little update.
(Don't be afraid! I realized the last uploads were too high in resolution! The new pix are downsized a bit:cool:)

By now I'm really in a rush, because the german premiere is already on Wednesday! :eek:
(Don't get me wrong: Of course I'm super excited that I'll be able to watch the movie that soon! But initially I thought there'd be time until October...)
So now it's goin' to get dirty and I'll have to cheat a lot. There'll definetely be no time to sew a proper undersuit, so I got some cheap motorcross protective-gear to have something to work on:

IMG_20210830_101853_sm.jpg

For the underlying ribbed "tube-whatever"-breast part I used some foamrubber door-seal in different diameters:

IMG_20210911_153749_sm.jpg

Cutting them from the bottom-side allows for a little shaping to better match the references

IMG_20210911_153921_sm.jpg
IMG_20210911_153935_sm.jpg
IMG_20210911_154416_sm.jpg

And a first test-fitting shows we're slowly getting there:

IMG_20210911_171247_sm.jpg

BUT seeing my own pictures I realized that I made the whole central torso-part WAY too big. Not just a bit off, but almost 100% too large! o_O
Don't know how I got the reference-measurements that wrong, but never mind.
No time left to do that one over again.
Just keep on running...

Really impressive so far! should the collar be a closer fit or is there something going under it?
Thanks!
Yes, on the picture the collar looks a bit loose. I added a strap on the backside to adjust the width.
In the movie it looks like they got some tighter balaclava or the like under the suit:

still suit hood1.jpg

Don't know yet how I'm going to implement that.

Just a quick update, because I'm really on the final sprint for tomorrow.
Worked on the groin protection and wanted to share one idea on possible "found items":

242aff7f-dune-scaled.jpg.optimal (2).jpg

I guess what they might have used are industrial timing-belts:

IMG_20210914_103920_sm.jpg

The toothing on mine is not a 100% match, but it's the closest I was able to find at the moment. There are actually several other parts of the Still Suit that might be based on different timing-belts, but maybe I'll post on that later.

As the belt is very rigid, I wasn't able to fold it over to fix the buckle, so I made a cutout:

IMG_20210914_112215_sm.jpg

Used a piece of strap which I let through the opening and fastenend with rivets:

IMG_20210914_112356_sm.jpg
IMG_20210914_114311_sm.jpg

Interestingly this might be a technical explanation for the rivets we see on the screen-used costumes (though I got the feeling that they did something different there).
Maybe they made molds from timing-belts and cast them in a more flexible rubber-like material. (On some pictures you see the belts bulge and wobble quite a bit, which actual timing-belts usually won't do...)

And here are the belt pieces attached to the quickly improvised groin-plate (just some layers of foam covered with epoxy).

IMG_20210914_132602_sm.jpg

Stay tuned! Will surely show pictures of the complete costume tomorrow!

(Though it wil surely not be "completed"...:lol:)

Last edited:
Ok so for everyone interested.

In a few days I will share a combination of STL files and vector files (for laser cutting) of the entire padded areas of the costume in extremely high detail.

Also here is a picture of what the costume looks like under the chest piece (makes things much easier)

Attachments

• icm_fullxfull.373325458_9vp1fy49sywok0skwsk8.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.373325458_9vp1fy49sywok0skwsk8.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 237
Just a quick update, because I'm really on the final sprint for tomorrow.
Worked on the groin protection and wanted to share one idea on possible "found items":

View attachment 1494674
I guess what they might have used are industrial timing-belts:

View attachment 1494675
The toothing on mine is not a 100% match, but it's the closest I was able to find at the moment. There are actually several other parts of the Still Suit that might be based on different timing-belts, but maybe I'll post on that later.

As the belt is very rigid, I wasn't able to fold it over to fix the buckle, so I made a cutout:

View attachment 1494676

Used a piece of strap which I let through the opening and fastenend with rivets:

View attachment 1494681 View attachment 1494682

Interestingly this might be a technical explanation for the rivets we see on the screen-used costumes (though I got the feeling that they did something different there).
Maybe they made molds from timing-belts and cast them in a more flexible rubber-like material. (On some pictures you see the belts bulge and wobble quite a bit, which actual timing-belts usually won't do...)

And here are the belt pieces attached to the quickly improvised groin-plate (just some layers of foam covered with epoxy).

View attachment 1494684

Stay tuned! Will surely show pictures of the complete costume tomorrow!

(Though it wil surely not be "completed"...:lol:)
looks great. a good layer of dirt over everything to blend it together and it’ll be brilliant. I really admire your creativity.

Phew...
Still a bit exhausted from the whole experience, so just a few quick pix.
The current version of the suit with a bit of painting and weathering added. There are so many little things I would like to have added...
But still happy I got that far for the premiere.

IMG_20210915_161905_sm.jpg

Here with an added "jubba-cloak" and nosetube in front of the cinema:
(I really needed the cloak, because the backside of the suit is a bit ugly with lots of straps and buckles...:p)

IMG-20210916-WA0004.jpg

The movie was pretty impressive, still gotta let it sink in...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back