Dulling spray on a QMX TNG commbadge?

TheDuotronicMan

Hi all! New here.

I got a couple of the QMX TNG magnetic commbadges and as you know, they’re molded from a screen-used original, so the shape / detail is great, but the finish is mirror-polished, and the silver delta doesn’t have black sides, just a black top edge.

IMG_8744.jpeg

I’ve been going through a lot of attempts at painting one of them - currently with moderate success using matte black primer as a base coat, then Tamiya crepe masking tape to add the silver and gold areas, using the usual recommended Dupli-Color rattlecans, with mists of matte clearcoat in between.

Before trying primer, I had tried using vinyl tape for cleaner edge masks, but found it adhered too strongly, tending to pull the paint right off.

Making tape masks for those complex curved side bits is a pain and it still leaves odd gaps, which I will try to correct with metallic paint pens (fingers crossed).

So, I was wondering if there might just be a simpler way to knock down the mirror reflectivity on my other stock badge.

The FanSets DS9/Voyager and Prodigy badges look like a metallic gold with a thick translucent matte coating.

IMG_8986.jpegIMG_8987.jpeg

Would I be able to get a similar effect with any particular matte clearcoat? I have the Dupli-Color matte on hand, but others have recommended Testors Dull-Cote. I know there’s sprays like K-Line for photography, but those don’t stand up to handling.

Thanks!

If you're after a metal TNG commbadge I say go with the one from Fan Sets. I know its not screen accurate since its not resin with velcro, but I really like it.

TNGCommbadge.jpg

Here it is with a set of pips I got from a run here.

TNGCommbadge-Wpips.jpg

If you're after a metal TNG commbadge I say go with the one from Fan Sets. I know its not screen accurate since its not resin with velcro, but I really like it.

View attachment 1696340

Here it is with a set of pips I got from a run here.

View attachment 1696341
I’m waiting on this as it’s currently sold out. Does the delta have black sides? Bit hard to tell in the photos - could you snap one at an angle? Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back