Dragoncon 2015

I am, irritatingly, one piece that I cannot get in time away from being in pretty good shape. No real fallback plan, as I wasn't anticipating that vendor to be out of commission at the time I needed to order. I'm seeing what I can come up with, but... *shrug* Trying now to figure out whether to keep pursuing that one, or focus on another one that I have all the stuff on hand, but much work is needed to make it wearable in time. I take my cue from Spinal Tap -- I crank it to 11.

--Jonah

This is my first Dcon and Id like to attend the RPF meetup am I too late to the list?

No it's not to late to put your name down, I have added your name to the badge listing, Please be sure to send a copy of your avatar to helpfulnerd for he is the one makeing the badges this year.

Thank you, we can't wait to meet you...

I feel both of your pain. I clearly wasn't thinking and scheduled to have my floors refinished next week. So I have to pack everything floor-adjacent - so, you know, everything - and move out of my house for four days. That's putting a serious dent in my costume building time!

That being said, I'd say I'm a solid 7 for preparedness. All that's left for one costume is a teensy bit of sewing and to paint my boots and style my wig, and I need to rebuild my helmet lining for another. The rest of the costumes are older and fully wearable in their current states!

WOW getting your floors redone with only 30 days or so until D'Con, that is ambitious :lol I'm not laughing at you I am nervously laughing WITH you!

Good luck with that. I really hope everything works out!

WOW getting your floors redone with only 30 days or so until D'Con, that is ambitious :lol I'm not laughing at you I am nervously laughing WITH you!

Good luck with that. I really hope everything works out!

Oh no, you can laugh AT me. I get it... :) It's just not a con unless I'm scrambling at the last minute to finish a costume, right? I was WAY too ahead of schedule with this one!

I feel a little out of place to put a request in here since, I generally tend to lurk just to check everything out that's being built here occasionally and don't really actually craft anything for a multitude of reasons....so...I figured I'd just ask that...with little to no socializing by me on here, would you want me to potentially join the meetup?

I feel a little out of place to put a request in here since, I generally tend to lurk just to check everything out that's being built here occasionally and don't really actually craft anything for a multitude of reasons....so...I figured I'd just ask that...with little to no socializing by me on here, would you want me to potentially join the meetup?

Do you want to attend the meet if you do doesn't matter what you do or how long youve been doing it, your a member of the rpf aren't you?...so why not join the meet and come and meet some new friends, and people. Let us know if you'd like us to add your name to the list...thanks...

Has everyone seen the updates from the Marriott carpet?...and what do you think?...there now working on another few levels...

Last edited:
Oh no, you can laugh AT me. I get it... :) It's just not a con unless I'm scrambling at the last minute to finish a costume, right? I was WAY too ahead of schedule with this one!

Ok fine I'll laugh at you. :lol

Still only kidding.

I usually add a costume to my roster at the last minute. I also usually get a lot of client work right before DragonCon and have to tell them that I'll be taking 6 days off work and hope they still hire me, which they usually do. And this month I'm doing work on my car, small stuff that I can do myself like breaks etc.

So I get it. This weekend I'm devoting my time mostly to shop time so I should make quite a bit of progress.

Has everyone seen the updates from the Marriott carpet?...and what do you think?...there now working on another few levels...

So I heard about this Marriott carpet issue on this thread earlier, I forget who mentioned it. I only have two questions:

1. Will this affect DragonCon, I want to say that I heard it won't, and I couldn't imagine they would let that happen considering that it brings business and they know how busy the Con is. Construction at DragonCon would suck big time. And my two cents is that IF the powers that be decided to do carpet upgrades while DragonCon goes on, well those folks are idiots. :lol

2. Are they changing carpet patterns, because if so that means that Harrison Krix's carpet cosplay is over. Which would suck big time. His cosplay that matches the pattern of the floor carpet is awesome. Very creative and I hope he can continue doing that cosplay, it's a DragonCon Classic Cosplay. It's history that shouldn't be messed with. I can only hope. A few years ago there was a guy in his group in that cosplay that fooled me. He was laying on the ground blending into the carpet and I was looking down from one of the floors above, then he got up and THAT blew my mind! I was like "Crap, I didn't even notice" :lol :wacko

I hope they finish in time.

Do you want to attend the meet if you do doesn't matter what you do or how long youve been doing it, your a member of the rpf aren't you?...so why not join the meet and come and meet some new friends, and people. Let us know if you'd like us to add your name to the list...thanks...
I'll join if I can, my group of friends aren't unfortunately staying in a hotel in Atlanta and this is everyone in my little group's first year going to DC, so we're all a little clueless. This is technically my 2nd major 3rd total convention last one I even went to was 2 years ago 5 for the major one. Since the convention dates are from Fri-Mon is why I don't know how it'll all work since I've only recently found out about these small side meetups happening before.

I would say that I am only around a 4 on being behind! Three new costumes finished, one old one to touch up, and one vest to make. Oh, then the kids will decide what they want a few days before. That is better than them changing their minds several times, though! I don't know many folks, so am really looking forward to meeting some new friends.

So I heard about this Marriott carpet issue on this thread earlier, I forget who mentioned it. I only have two questions:

1. Will this affect DragonCon, I want to say that I heard it won't, and I couldn't imagine they would let that happen considering that it brings business and they know how busy the Con is. Construction at DragonCon would suck big time. And my two cents is that IF the powers that be decided to do carpet upgrades while DragonCon goes on, well those folks are idiots. :lol

2. Are they changing carpet patterns, because if so that means that Harrison Krix's carpet cosplay is over. Which would suck big time. His cosplay that matches the pattern of the floor carpet is awesome. Very creative and I hope he can continue doing that cosplay, it's a DragonCon Classic Cosplay. It's history that shouldn't be messed with. I can only hope. A few years ago there was a guy in his group in that cosplay that fooled me. He was laying on the ground blending into the carpet and I was looking down from one of the floors above, then he got up and THAT blew my mind! I was like "Crap, I didn't even notice" :lol :wacko

I hope they finish in time.

Per a Post / Message on the Official Dragon*con facebook! Group:
Veronica Atkins
Posted:
"Marriott Construction Update!! (28 days out). Just spoke with a staff member of the Marriott and he said they are currently replacing the carpet on the Atrium level. Depend on how long that takes they might or might not move down to the other levels before con. Here are photos of the construction. They also hope to have the rooms currently under construction finished before con and will not be starting the next batch of rooms until after con."
11831663_10153600647986522_2672004679621277881_n.jpg11846525_10153600648561522_3307427681675818945_n.jpg11800297_10153600649246522_3007684055620793825_n.jpg

11831663_10153600647986522_2672004679621277881_n.jpg

11846525_10153600648561522_3307427681675818945_n.jpg

11800297_10153600649246522_3007684055620793825_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Per a Post / Message on the Official Dragon*con facebook! Group:
Veronica Atkins
Posted:
"Marriott Construction Update!! (28 days out). Just spoke with a staff member of the Marriott and he said they are currently replacing the carpet on the Atrium level. Depend on how long that takes they might or might not move down to the other levels before con. Here are photos of the construction. They also hope to have the rooms currently under construction finished before con and will not be starting the next batch of rooms until after con."
View attachment 512400View attachment 512401View attachment 512402

Yeah....so this is the first I've heard about the carpet redo, potential to impact D*Con, etc. And wow....just, wow. If this is ongoing during DragonCon then this is going to suck bigtime. Think Saturday night. You know how tough it is to move around that place as is - lets not take away huge....tracks of land...to not be able to move around. I can't really tell from the photo either - is the carpet a different design?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back