Does anyone know of the origins of this Plo Koon hilt?

Raaven1990

I just learned a lot of the sabers in some old material like the Dark Horse comics and some of the Path of the Jedi figures are fan made found parts hilts that got canonised, and were made by an RPF user named Luuke. I’m planning on making a Plo Koon POTJ hilt, which Luuke either made or made a replica of of eons ago. Something I’ve been wondering about is if this hilt is yet another design of Luuke’s that got picked up and sort of canonised. If so, what parts were used in this hilt? I really love the simplicity of the design. And if Luuke is still roaming around here, I’d love his input.

IMG_6160.jpeg
IMG_6156.jpeg

I scratch built one based on the action figure pic from PVC pipe & styrene strips back in 2001. Definitely a cool saber. Too bad it never caught on.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.png
    IMG_0799.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0800.png
    IMG_0800.png
    272.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0801.png
    IMG_0801.png
    276 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0802.png
    IMG_0802.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0804.png
    IMG_0804.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0803.png
    IMG_0803.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 53
Yes, this lightsaber was based on the lightsaber accessory that came with the acton figure. At that time, the prequels had not yet established a design or shown Plo Koon with a lightsaber so they created a design so not canon. One of the images of the lightsaber you posted is from the Force File document that came with the figure.

star-wars--power-of-the-jedi----hasbro---plo-koon-p-image-430655-grande.jpg

POTJplokoonff7.jpg

More info about the figure and the Force File here: Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive

At the time (year 2000), we here at RPF were pretty starved for new lightsaber hilt designs so we tended to go crazy at anything new. We also did things called active projects in which various members gave input into designs and ideas. Members were encouraged to construct their own replicas based on specifications devised and also others like Luuke who could offer built replicas for those who were not so much into DIY.

Here are the finalized designs that the group ended up with. Maybe you can build your own.
PloKoon.JPG
View.jpg

At the time, I was lucky enough to have someone who had access to a metal lathe and the made on for me. I used an extra Obi/Qui anodized red button, extra T-track, and some other scraps to finish the look.

koon.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, this lightsaber was based on the lightsaber accessory that came with the acton figure. At that time, the prequels had not yet established a design or shown Plo Koon with a lightsaber so they created a design so not canon. One of the images of the lightsaber you posted is from the Force File document that came with the figure.

View attachment 1793120

View attachment 1793132

More info about the figure and the Force File here: Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive

At the time (year 2000), we here at RPF were pretty starved for new lightsaber hilt designs so we tended to go crazy at anything new. We also did things called active projects in which various members gave input into designs and ideas. Members were encouraged to construct their own replicas based on specifications devised and also others like Luuke who could offer built replicas for those who were not so much into DIY.

Here are the finalized designs that the group ended up with. Maybe you can build your own.
View attachment 1793114View attachment 1793104

At the time, I was lucky enough to have someone who had access to a metal lathe and the made on for me. I used an extra Obi/Qui anodized red button, extra T-track, and some other scraps to finish the look.

View attachment 1793105
Thank you so much for the pics and info. I especially appreciate the little bit of history you gave on the hilt designs you guys worked on. I imagine you really had to eyeball the movie props for accuracy when making replicas in those days

This is some cool bit of history thank you! I think I remember something like this on Lightsabers from the Big Yellow Box, I had no idea it was a toy design fill-in saber.

I do quite like the design too lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back