Doctor Who - A Journal of Impossible Things (Novelized Version)

I just placed an order for a used copy on amazon. With expedited shipping it'll be here in....... about 10 days. What a bunch of wankers.

According to McGann the coat was green.

According to various threads i've seen based on people who have (relatively recently) handled the coat it coat was made of black velvet apparently, but to do with the way velvet reacts absorbs and reflects light (or some such gubbins) depending on the scene it can either appear green, brown, amber... also you have to factor in the base black dye which can be either green or brown or (I think blue) based... ARRRRGH!NONONONONO!

I am not going to go down this path again. Last time it ended up with me in a strait-jacket. And that was definitely off-white, not green, black, brown or maroon.

Nurse! The Screens!

Yea, it's a nightmare, but as my final word on the subject, it was a very, very dark green that appeared black in many lighting conditions, but it was green.

Yea, it's a nightmare, but as my final word on the subject, it was a very, very dark green that appeared black in many lighting conditions, but it was green.

McGann is absolutely positive on the green. It was green. If he wasn't positive on it, then he would have been very sarcastic and said 'I've worn many costumes in my life and can't be expected to remember the exact colour of them all'.

Yeah, he is just like that.

Guys, you should do a run of these. Get them made up on some cool paper and sell them. You could supply a not so good quality link for folks to download too.

Personally I'd by the hi def good quality printed version.

I'd rather just upload it for free. To be honest, it's nice to work on something that won't make me any money for a change, I was starting to loathe my hobby.

Yeah, I'm only doing this because I want to print a copy for myself as I LOVE this show and it'll be a cool little prop to own. If anybody else wants it when I'm done, they're more than welcome.

Sorry for the double post but I figured I should post a preview to see if anyone thinks it's decent. I'm not the best at photoshop but feedback would be appreciated. I'm no where near done and will keep at it. Just wanted to post my progress so far, is all :D

11j3vh4.jpg

I'd rather just upload it for free. To be honest, it's nice to work on something that won't make me any money for a change, I was starting to loathe my hobby.

Yeah, I understand that, but not everyone has the equipment to print it out on the correct paper in the best quality.

Kinko's should be able to do it just fine. They may charge a bit more than we'd like, but that's just part of it.

Well, after spending the last 6 hours completely redoing my runes, I just have the lens flare (Along with a few minor color tweaks) to go!

AlmostThere.png

By the way, awesome job, WarMachine! I think you sell your photoshopping abilities short. Looks great.

-Nick

You guys are awesome. This is something I've wanted since I saw the episode.

Same here, NakedMoleRat. I was getting tired of waiting for it, and now, after a few days work, I essentially have my finished product:

done.png

Before I make anymore changes I want to check two things: 1) The exact size of Pack Animal's dust jacket; and 2) what it looks like printed. After I know those things I can adjust size and color more effectively.

And to anyone working on Gallifreyan Runes, here is a clean version of what mine look like:

runes.png

I'm sure there are more under the fob watch, but since they can't be seen it doesn't really matter, does it?

-Nick

Could you email me a high res copy of your runes? It would save me half a lifetime as drawing in PS isn't my strong suit.

It's not my strongest suit either (I've gone through nearly 4 complete revisions of my runes) so I completely understand.

Check your mail in a few minutes. I'll export a full res black and white version for you. It's the least I can do to thank you for getting me the journal image.

I'll fire up Photoshop right now.

-Nick

EDIT: You've got mail.

Last edited:
Just got it,thanks! It looks great. OK, so I know I get rid of the white with the multiply setting, but I'm a bit rusty on how I overlay the gold.

Create a gold layer over it, hold alt and click the space between the two layers to link them. That should do the trick.

-Nick

Thanks.

I can't tell for certain if the gold bar extends onto the inside flap or not, it looks like there might be something there, but it's so far and at such a weird angle. I think it would look a bit more properly finished if it was there.

And actually, that linking trick isn't working for me, it overlays fine, but the result is extremely dark.

Last edited:
If you can wait till tomorrow, I'll create a PSD of my runes to maintain the transparency of the background while allowing you to link the layer above it.

-Nick

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back