Django Unchained (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Cool image--I didn't know he had a new movie in the works. Sounds cool from the IMDB page.

3. Vivek

And quite the cast which includes Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christoph Waltz, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Sacha Baron Cohen. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was also attached but couldn't do it due to prior scheduling for his directorial debut film.

4. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Yeah, I was noticing the great cast. That's something I've come to expect from QT though, of course. Glad to be seeing Waltz again.

5. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm so ready for a new Tarantino movie right now!

6. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

synopsis:

Set in the South two years before the Civil War, Django Unchained stars Academy Award-winner Jamie Foxx as Django, a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Academy Award-winner Christoph Waltz). Schultz is on the trail of the murderous Brittle brothers, and only Django can lead him to his bounty. The unorthodox Schultz acquires Django with a promise to free him upon the capture of the Brittles, dead or alive.
    Success leads Schultz to free Django, though the two men choose not to go their separate ways. Instead, Schultz seeks out the South’s most wanted criminals with Django by his side. Honing vital hunting skills, Django remains focused on one goal: finding and rescuing Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), the wife he lost to the slave trade long ago.
    Django and Schultz’s search ultimately leads them to Calvin Candie (Academy Award-nominee Leonardo DiCaprio), the proprietor of Candyland, an infamous plantation where slaves are groomed by trainer Ace Woody (Kurt Russell) to battle each other for sport. Exploring the compound under false pretenses, Django and Schultz arouse the suspicion of Stephen (Academy Award-nominee Samuel L. Jackson), Candie’s trusted house slave. Their moves are marked, and a treacherous organization closes in on them. If Django and Schultz are to escape with Broomhilda, they must choose between independence and solidarity, between sacrifice and survival.

7. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Don't forget:

Don Johnson, James Remar, Tom Wopat (Luke from The Dukes of Hazard), Anthony LaPaglia, Tom Savini (awesome!), Walter Goggins, Gary Grubbs

8. xmr1

xmr1 Well-Known Member

The script was unbelievable, I'm a fan of the 60s spaghetti westerns and this pne will rock. I can't wait to see it!! Next to Prometheus my favourite movie this year! :)

9. Tiberius Kirk

Tiberius Kirk Sr Member

Good stuff!

10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

"Django Reinhart is *, and this time, IT'S PERSONAL!!"

11. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Kurt Russell and Sacha Baron Cohen have dropped out. No explanation why yet.

Seems like Quentin is having a hard time getting this movie made. I know he was trying to get Will Smith, Kevin Costner, Jonah Hill, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt but they couldn't because of scheduling conflicts.

I hope he can still pull it together and make a good movie.

12. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh god, it's going to be Inglourious Basterds all over again....

13. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Actually he's already shooting it. It's getting made. Walton Coggins is "absorbing" Russells dialogue into his role, and apparently a replacement for Cohen's role is a done deal, they just haven't announced it yet.

While I'd love to see Russell in another western, I'm kind of glad this happened since I think Coggins is pretty * great too.

14. Vivek

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  15. jarvis

jarvis Sr Member

Leo looks like he'll make a good evil *******. I liked the shot of the plantation owner's blood spraying the cotton.

16. Vivek

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  17. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

That trailer looks awesome!

What do I go see on Xmas Day? Django Unchained or The Great Gatsby?!

And the Hobbit comes out the week before. Should be a great holiday season!

18. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I liked that trailer. Good fun.

19. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I liked seeing Franco Nero in the trailer. I wonder if he does anything more than that cameo.

20. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

21. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

i still dont see why they cast jamie foxx for the role. but other than that, yey!

22. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I enjoy Tarantino and while I can't say that I think the guy is a genius, I do think this looks like a LOT of fun. DiCaprio looks like he's having the time of his life in this role. I'd be game to catch this in the theater when it gets released. I think it'd likely be far better than Prometheus. While that one was visually fun to watch, I wasn't thrilled by it either.

23. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

24. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope not :unsure

25. barbatus

barbatus Well-Known Member

I really like that Franco Nero cameo. Looks like the first Tarantino movie I'll buy a ticket for since Pulp Fiction. Might even go with my dad who grew up with spaghetti westerns and whose all time favorite movie is "Once upon a time in the West", which he saw several times in cinema back then.

26. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Django Unchained

Anxiously awaiting this one.

I've been overwhelmingly a fan of Quentin's past films (Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction both make my top 20), and I would love to see what he has in store for this installment.

Tarantino seems to have always had a major passion for the spaghetti western. Now that he has his chance to indulge fully in that passion...well, I would expect some greatness.

Wikipedia:
    Django Unchained - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMDB:
    Django Unchained (2012) - IMDb

Trailer:
    Django Unchained - Official Trailer (HD) - YouTube

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

28. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Sigh...

29. Dracosfire83

Dracosfire83 Well-Known Member

Looks like a good movie but why did they choose a X-Mas release?

30. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Because it's so festive!

31. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Few years back I recall seeing Valkyrie on Christmas Day. Now that was an odd experience.

32. Tiberius Kirk

Tiberius Kirk Sr Member

"Tombstone" was released on Christmas day as well.

33. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

“I kill white people and get paid for it. What's not to like?”

Yeah, it's ok say racist comments in movie trailers now.

34. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

I found that sort of a turnoff as well.

As it is it won't do a thing. But picture if it were replaced with "black". We'd have a global crisis on our hands.

35. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

Things like that don't apply to period pieces that take place in times where there was no such thing as a "racist comment". You can't apply today's values to everything and expect it to stick.

36. Sourdoh

Sourdoh Sr Member

Yes, but when it is done in a film made now, it is just gratuitous.

As far as the cast goes, I will watch Christoph Waltz in anything. He is my number one actor right now. His off-hand attitude to almost any situation is just great.

37. patsmear

patsmear Sr Member

Saw the Crew screening of Django Unchained....

It was AWESOME!! Christoph Waltz, shines in this movie. Hell everyone is good from Jaime Foxx on down does a fantastic performance.

There are loads of laughs and rivers of blood.

I am so happy to have had a small hand in this film. I worked as a set dresser, with a fantastic crew. Made loads of new friends, and got to hang out with the KNB crew, and others.

Quentin was a gem. As long as you did what he asked( as with any job), he was easy to work for. He had music between takes. Just make sure you don't have a cell phone with you. lol

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Pat

38. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

After Jamie Fox's recent commentary, I'll pass on this. Not a big Tarantino fan anyway.

39. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I have to agree. Fox's comments really put me off. Was not a fan of his before, now even more so.

40. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

I'm really struggling to keep from googling this Jamie Foxx thing. I want to watch this movie and enjoy it...

41. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nah. It's a fictional character. It isn't Fox saying it, it isn't the director or the writer or the producer saying it. It's the character of a former abused slave feeling understandably a bit bitter about his former situation. If that's what his character is in the film (or in part of it, if he has an arc), then why not show us? Isn't that what trailers are supposed to do?

42. patsmear

patsmear Sr Member

Yeah the whole movies is about him as a slave, AND it's a movie!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  43. berger

berger Sr Member

yea, maybe its just me, but it seems perfectly understandable for a slave that just gets freed to bge a little bitter towards the very people who enslaved him.

44. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

I'm in the same boat. He has made me avoid pretty much everything he is in.

I wasn't planning to see the next Spider-Man movie in theatres, and his addition to the cast sealed that one for me as well.

45. berger

berger Sr Member

2 hours and 45 minutes? wow, i wasnt expecting it to be that long, i went to go see it tonight before the big glizzard hits tomorrow, and found the movie theater PACKED, with a line out the door, me and the girlfriend had never been to a movie on christmas day, so we had no idea to expect it to be so packed. we wouldnt have had time to find seats/get tickets and drinks, so we just came back home... oh well theres always this weekend.

46. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. QT knocked another one out of the park for me. So many great performances. I'd be shocked if there aren't multiple Oscar nominations for this film.

47. patsmear

patsmear Sr Member

It's already up for 5 Golden Globes.

That scene with Leo at the dinner table was real. Don't want to give too much away so if I can figure out the spoiler tags I will use em

48. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Such a great film. The movie had great dialogue and there were so many times where I was killing myself laughing. I had also forgotten how much QT likes his violence.

I was in tears during the part with Don Johnson where everyone is arguing about the masks. Just Hilarious.

Did anyone else notice that Tom Savini, Zoe Bell, and Robert Carradine were part of Candies Tracker guys? As soon as I saw her eyes, I knew if was Zoe Bell :p

49. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The last time I could put up with him was back when he was on In Living Color with the Wayne's brothers and i think that was only because of their writing.

50. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Can someone post a link to this commentary? I can't find anything.