Disney Parks Han Solo blaster?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by WyoWilliam, May 8, 2015.

1. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

Anybody own one of these? I'm less interested in the gun than I am the sound card/ speaker inside of it. I've been having a hard time finding the Rubies gun with the actual "movie" sounds (also blue and orange, interestingly) so was thinking this might work, or maybe even be better?

Disney.JPG

2. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

I'm in the same boat, man. For my DEC/Denix Han ANH build (Thanks Dave, you God you) ;)

Don't get the current Rubies or the '96 Hasbro (see pics below). The Rubies sounds like a gun and the speaker on the Hasbro is so bad I'm not sure what it sounds like but it is NOT a DL-44. Maybe when I pair the Rubies speaker with the Hasbro board... I dunno. And I'm pretty sure the Kenner from the 70's will have a board too big to fit. Blah...

Before this is over I have a sneaking suspicion I will wish I had bit the bullet and bought the BlasterCore. :/

$_11.jpg

$_12.jpg

3. Blue Leader

Blue Leader Well-Known Member

I've seen videos of the new stormtrooper blaster (with the two firing modes) but I haven't seen anything about this blaster yet. I'm pretty curious about it myself.

4. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Disney one looks like you could take the scope off and with some work convert it to an ESB/ROTJ blaster easier than the Rubies where the scope is part of the body.

5. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

Yeah, I used a rubies sound card (from the blue/ orange version that actually sounded like a blaster) paired with a cell phone speaker, and that worked pretty well. Seems like all those wankers on ebay hoping to make a quick buck bought the good ones up and slapped some black paint on them to sell for $75.

6. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

maybe source a soundboard from an external vendor? more expensive, but quality.

There have been many people post their sound stuff..

PlecterLabs sells a BlasterCore board that is design the put any sound fonts/files you want on it..

7. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Actually... I'm not completely disgusted. :) I took the new Rubies speaker and AAA battery compartment and paired it with the Hasbro board and fire control group. It sounds WAY better. Almost blaster-esque if I may say so myself. Now to file down the battery compartment, rout out the grips, drill sound holes in the grip slot, etc., etc.,... whew. :/

IMG_1700.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  8. Jedifather

Jedifather Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That thing looks ridiculous.

Darth Lars likes this.
  9. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Buuuuutt...? How does it sound? Bump.

10. RowBoatCop

RowBoatCop Member

I have the rubies blue/orange one, I've always thought it sounds pretty decent

11. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

I LOVE that they have Han holding the toy on the packaging.

minifig likes this.
  12. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Bump. Anybody bought one of these yet? How's the sound? As good as the 2008 Rubies?

13. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I found this funny; the old Kenner blaster from the 70s didn't have a sound board; it was a motor with a gear on it that spun against a piece of plastic making a 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzz' sound!

Mark

thd9791 likes this.
  14. Contec

Contec Master Member

So it must be screen accurate then...

WyoWilliam likes this.
  15. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Finally bit the bullet and bought the Disney blaster. Not bad at all! The sound is loud and definitely Star Wars blastery and the flashing red LED is pretty cool. I think I can work with this for my DEC ANH build:

IMG_1702.JPG

It is powered by AAs however. Is there any chance this might work to power the board, speaker and LED?

http://www.adafruit.com/products/783

x783-00_jpg_pagespeed_ic_Ad6m7GOO6m.jpg

If so I think it could all fit in the magazine well of the Denix.

16. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

Mmmm... I think at 6v you would run the risk of frying the sound board. I assume that the blaster runs on two AA's? So, you're looking at 3v. and you can achieve that with either two AAA's, 2 button cells, or if you have a charger one of the small LiPo 3.7v batteries used in small flying toys and readily available on ebay.

- - - Updated - - -

BUMP
    What about one of the other Hasbro offerings for a soundboard? I'm think specifically or the Jango or Boba Fett blasters that are still fairly readily available? Do they sound right?

17. Blue Leader

I don't think that Hasbro makes Jango blasters anymore. Not that I've seen, anyway. The only ones I see now are Rubies costume blasters in the Jango style and the sound card on those is horrible.

This is the Rubies blaster...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  18. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Please do post a sound recording of the Disney blaster! :)

A basic 2×AAA holder would only be a couple mm thicker and be able to hold more charge. Plus, easier to get replacements or to use rechargeable batteries.
    A 2×AAA holder with on/off-switch would be too long though.

BTW, mind the bolt that holds the scope bracket. I have a big nut on the inside of the magwell because I find the wall to be too thin to hold a 1/4 thread on its own.
    Maybe it would be possible to weld the bolt to a piece of thin sheet steel and epoxy it in there from the inside but that would be a very tight fit.
    It might be easier to replace the spacer on the outside with a smaller nut for better fit and epoxy or weld that on to the rod, which would you would then epoxy to the outside of the magwell and the hole.

H0llyw00d likes this.
  19. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

Uhg. That is awful. I see that the Boba Fett blaster is better, but sounds an awful lot like how they made the original sound effect - hitting a guide wire. Check it out at about 1:45 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxISCCoA5B8

20. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

I was worried about that front nut also at first, but found that once the posts were tightened down with the check nuts on the scope cross-bar that they were pretty stable and didn't really need additional support inside the mag well. (I have a pretty heavy scope assembly, too.) I wouldn't want to hit it hard with anything and dropping it could be a problem, but for regular use, I've had no problem with a well-tapped denix mag wall.

21. chizbot

chizbot Active Member

My 4 year old wanted a Han blaster after seeing mine. I bought a white & orange one and painted it, drilled out the scope & FH holes. It's very quiet.

22. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

To answer my own question. No. With one 2032 coin battery or 2 (3v or 6v) it will not power the board. Darn. :(

Did it sound like a gun or a blaster. Mine went "bang". What a piece of crap.

Here you go I hope :/

23. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

MINE! $20 on fleabay.

$_57.jpg

Yes, in my quest for cheapness I bought 4 toy blasters and could have bought a BlasterCore 4.0. I am officially an idiot.

grenater likes this.
  24. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Here re are the 3 Disneyland Park blasters.
    quality isn't great, but might help some of you....

EE-3

- - - Updated - - -

DL-44

25. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

E-11

- - - Updated - - -

The E-11 in my opinion has the loudest, clearest sound.
    The worst performer is the DL-44.

26. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The video you posted of the DL-44 is of the old version. That one is just a repackaged version of the Hasbro. The new one is a completely different design.

27. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

The Disney blaster has been reconfigured in '15. Didn't realize I had my video of the new one set to "private." Should be visible to everybody now. :/

28. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

I'm at the park right now, and the one I posted is what's here.

29. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I didn't say it wasn't. What I am saying is that it is not the new version released in the last couple months. The new one is blue with orang bits. It also has packaging similar to the other new blasters.... that being that it has the character pictured on front using the blaster.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  30. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear you.
    I looked through them all just to find that one.
    No luck.
    Probably trying to reduce all the back stock.
    Ill be back down there in another month.
    Ill try to find and record that one too.

31. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Posted a video on #22. Can nobody else see it?

32. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

I think you're right, it sounds the most like an actual blaster.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  33. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

Yes, the video comes up in my feed. It doesn't sound terrible, but I think I like the E-11 the best. Anyone know the best way to buy one and how much they cost?

34. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

You could very well be right!

Just to round out the thread, here is my setup before it goes into my DEC build. '08 Rubies board, '15 Disney trigger button, speaker and LED, AAA holder from China.

Thanks for the thread WyoWilliam, it helped me quite a bit. Maybe it can help other folks with their budget sound builds.

Solo likes this.
  35. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

I'm headed back down next month.
    If you haven't scored one yet, I could pick one up for you.

36. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

I was getting the sound and LED in my DEC build yesterday and noticed that the sound font for the new Disney blaster is from the Blu-Ray Greedo shot. See here at 9 seconds:

Being the definitive DL-44 shot that's the one I would have chosen as well.

I think it will turn out that this is the sound board of choice for budget builds because of the LED capability built into the board. When I tried to hook up an LED to the '08 Rubies board it was barely visible, whereas when you hook up a 10mm LED to the '15 Disney board you get this:

Pretty darned happy with it. :)

37. Blue Leader

I don't know how much they cost, but you can order them from the Disney parks store. I can't remember the phone number off the top of my head, but there is a number you can call to order things from the Disney parks and have them sent to you.

But yeah, I'm also curious as to how the blasters cost, too. I'd actually like to get all three of the blasters. :p

38. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

I got my DL-44 off fleabay. $38.50 shipped.

Blue Leader likes this.
  39. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Blue Leader likes this.
  40. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Member

So what does the 2015 Disney Parks Han Blaster sound like? Same as the old one?

41. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Can you see the videos in #36 above?

42. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Member

Yep, if that's the case it sounds so much better than the previous version. Looks like I'll be getting this to replace my Rubies one :)

43. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

I just picked up the Blaster at Disneyland last night. it sounds pretty good and with a little work could look pretty good It is closer in size to a real Mauser then the old toy. Still a little fat but so much better.

44. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

They are $20.00 in the park. I got mine for $14 using my annual pass. I have been playing around with an old air soft Mauser I have had for 30 years. I got some new wood grips that I am fitting I just got one side finished, and I took a photo of it with the Disney toy. It is fatter then the it should be but this toy could be be a good prop for a Rebel pilot . IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0114.JPG

45. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

That "airsoft" (did they have that in 1986?) looks pretty tight, man! What's the story with it? All-metal? Spring powered? Detachable clip? From that shot looks like a potential DEC donor that would beat a Denix.

46. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

It is an old mostly plastic airsoft . I think I did get it around 86 I thought I had it longer but it says 86 on the frame. It has some metal parts the hammer and bolt are metal.,as is the sight. It has a nice weight to it. It was single shot spring powered. it came with a striper clip. They have all metal gas powered airsoft Mauser's now. This one had shells that held the pellets so every shot ejected a shell. The safety works like the real gun. it also has a metal track in the back of the handle that you could fit a wood stock to.I have been thinking about picking up a wood stock but would hate to find out that it did not fit the thing,

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  47. WyoWilliam

WyoWilliam New Member

That's not bad at all. Good work!

- - - Updated - - -

So the sound board you used for the final build is from the new E-11 or the DL-44? It sounds slightly different to me from the E-11 video posted earlier, but that may simply be because it's in the Denix.

48. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

The sound board was from the new 2015 Disney "Rebel Blaster" (Dl-44)... the blue and red Greedo Killer lookin' thing. You can get them on fleabay for $20-$40.