Disney+ gets every 'Star Wars' movie in 4K, Dolby Vision and Atmos

A couple I grabbed
D40ACA3B-89F7-4DA3-A300-D07B59637521.jpeg

35AC5E76-55F5-4205-855F-32ACFE470C09.jpeg

4BECF7CD-4277-49B5-A56B-8BA5969E5FBC.jpeg

D8E6251A-B57B-4543-B578-C52A549C2E38.jpeg

C8587AC6-A0A3-4376-A63B-919888D78D30.jpeg

Yeah, the detail looks pretty good to me. I've scanned through a few of the films.

The stamping on the bottom of the Wampa Cave Graflex is super clear.

C1F226BD-85BD-43AA-8F8E-BAFEB863068D.jpeg

Last edited:
Am I hearing right that Disney has made yet more edits to the films? Saw something about Greedo getting in a last word before dying (while still shooting). Dunno if anythings been found in ESB or ROTJ as of yet

ANH has a lot of edits, aunt beru’s lines seem to have been changed, same line but different cuts

It’s crazy how much more we can see

The 4K remastered films were done by Lucas, just before selling the company, as part of the process of 3D conversion and theatrical re-release (as Episode 1 was) before that project was cancelled. So, yes, slight further changes as happened with every prior re-release/remaster, but they were at least Lucas's, rather than some anonymous Disney employee.

So far the only really noticeable change is the ever-evolving Greedo scene - Han fires a couple frames earlier than in the Blu-ray, and Greedo has one additional line. Otherwise they seem to be the edits from the Blu-rays, but in 4K with a new transfer.

Last edited:
I'm puzzeled that no one has mentioned the 4K77 project etc.. Surely a lot of this stuff (additions/deletions aside) would be have been visible on there?
(I don't have it as I can't figuer how to download to Linux).

I'm puzzeled that no one has mentioned the 4K77 project etc.. Surely a lot of this stuff (additions/deletions aside) would be have been visible on there?
what linux? I managed to get it downloaded on a headless(= server) ubuntu.

I don't have it either. Otherwise, I might have checked before now. This won out by being convenient, I guess.

I've been meaning to check 4k77 and 4k83 to see if any helpful new details are visible anywhere. What I'd really like to see is the Star Wars Legacy project from Mike Verta, but he appears to have gone dark over the last year and took down his main site. His restoration work is phenomenal, using multiple prints and custom software to remove every imperfection but original negative grain. It's far better than any official release has been.

He talks a lot about how much previously unseen detail you can pull out of the value range in original print scans. Here's an example of him playing with the Tantive IV corridor to demonstrate...the wall greeblies and door surface texture are nuts.

Tantive2.jpg

Tantive1.jpg

If his version ever surfaced (or if anyone could talk him into looking at shots) then I think everyone's rivet questions would be answered

I've been meaning to check 4k77 and 4k83 to see if any helpful new details are visible anywhere. What I'd really like to see is the Star Wars Legacy project from Mike Verta, but he appears to have gone dark over the last year and took down his main site. His restoration work is phenomenal, using multiple prints and custom software to remove every imperfection but original negative grain. It's far better than any official release has been.

He talks a lot about how much previously unseen detail you can pull out of the value range in original print scans. Here's an example of him playing with the Tantive IV corridor to demonstrate...the wall greeblies and door surface texture are nuts.

View attachment 1083830
View attachment 1083831

If his version ever surfaced (or if anyone could talk him into looking at shots) then I think everyone's rivet questions would be answered
Last time I read anything from Verta over at originaltrilogy.com, I believe he revealed that he had given a presentation of the 4k project to senior people at LFL, who were apparently very excited. He said he wasn't allowed to say any more, and then I believe went dark. Have my fingers crossed that means good news on the horizon.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back