Discussion time! Who displays props and who actually used props for their intended purpose.

Not all my lighters are props from movies (many are, though), but they sure are fun to play with....Fire! Fire!

Surreal Delorean Touch Tip.jpg Maltese Falcon Ronson Lighter Closeup Medium.jpg Dunhill Rollagas Lit s.jpg Blue Gold Dunhill Rollagas Lit s.jpg Maruman GL-66 Lit s.jpg Dunhill Unique Gold Gas Lit s.jpg Ronson Varaflame Starfire Lit s  .jpg Corona Old Boy lighter fascmiscile Lit s.jpg Casablanca Lighter Lit 2s.jpgNasco Baby Lighter Lit s.jpg Regens Squeeze Lighter Lit 2s.jpg Ronson Princess Lit s.jpg Ronson Petite Lit s.jpg Minix Lighter lit s.jpg Rogers lighter lit s.jpg Ronson Variflame lit s.jpg Dunhill Unique Sport Lit Back s.jpg Dunhill Unique Turbo Lit s.jpg Ronson Jet Lighter s.jpg Win Lighter Held Side Lit2 s.jpg Ronson Master Case Lit s.jpg Dunhill Trench Lit s.jpg Ronson Whirlwind Bond Lit s.jpg IMCO Super 6700 Lit s.jpg Ronson Whirlwind Lit s.jpg Ronson Twentycase Lit s.jpg Ronson Ten a Case s.jpg Dunhill Unique Lit s.jpg Fuzi Memories of Japan Lit s.jpg Zippo Clover Elsa Lucky Lighter Lit s.jpg Polo Lighter Lit s.jpg Fifth Element Candles Lit3.jpg

Last edited:
Careful! Those little guys will die if they touch the ark directly. Make sure to have them use the poles to lift or move it. :lol:

That's only if the alarm system isn't disabled first (which is why those Nazi guys got immolated). If you turn off the grounding for the alien reactor, (input via those stones on the vest Belloq was wearing and clearly didn't press before opening) you can then safely touch and open it and the contents flip over from the sand/angel of death thing to the true contents as shown here:

Ark Contents S.jpg

I have one of s2jesse's coaxium vials that I click on and off for no reason, same with scottjua's Yoda lamp and my Roddenberry tricorder. The point of my replicas was to have something from the movies/shows that I could hold and experience, so it seems wrong to not do exactly that.

What's strange is that until I joined RPF around a year ago I hadn't thought much about props being a thing.

Oh sure I knew about props in films!

And my props were like that; they were items needed to compliment/complete a costume.

So yes my replica props fulfill the same function for which the originals had been created.

Displaying those props never occurred to me. When not being worn/carried at a Con they're in their bin. I have a big plastic bin for each of my cosplays, and I put everything related to that cosplay in its dedicated bin. When I travel to a Con I put the bin for that day's costume in the boot, which prevents me from forgetting anything! I live in dread of forgetting something- the last thing I would want is to leave a critical prop sitting on a shelf as I drive off to a Con!

In short I'm a Cosplayer not a collector.

I'm the same with music. I've worked 40 years as a professional musician, and my instruments are my tools. I have the tools I need for the jobs I get hired to do, and nothing more. My instruments sit in their cases when not being played.

It would never occur to me to

1) display my instruments, or

2) collect instruments (that is, to have instruments surplus to requirements).

The Area 51 warehouse has received another giant vintage lighter, this time the Hadson Moonlite with maroon leather wrap. You can see it among the other relics there.

Lighter Warehouse s.jpg

Closeup of its sarcophagus:

Hadson Moonlite Box s.jpg

Device enabled:

Hadson Moonlite Lit1 s.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back