Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja *COMPLETED*

Re: Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja WIP

On a related note, yesterday was an exercise in futility. I told myself: "Ready to cast, lets make some risers for this beeatch!" and proceeded to build some risers out of clay. Now what I didn't know, is that air drying terracotta clay shrinks while it dries... it even says so in the box: "do not use metal armatures, because this clay shrinks, and may crack". But did I read the box before spending 3 hours building these things to perfection? Nooooooo

So here are the results:
IMG_4061.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

Looking ok so far, right?
IMG_4064.JPG

a little separation never hurt anyone...
IMG_4065.JPG

Oh shi-
IMG_4067.JPG

Is that BONDO being pulled apart by your clay? Why yes, it is!

So I took it all off, and humbly requested pandamajik's help, and he's been awesome in providing direction with clay acquisition and mold building.
Now I have all the correct materials, and will go for my second attempt tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

Ok, time for an update.
In the time that has elapsed since the last update, I re-assembled the helmet for a fit check, only to find out there was misalignment caused by the other clay I used. So I went and got the correct clay, thanks to pandamajik, and started on the first mold of the forehead piece, using tin cure silicone from tap plastics:

IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

At the same time, I started on the rest of the helmet, building risers out of clay and all that magic

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

I didn't like how the tin cure silicone took 24 hours to cure between coats (basically my whole weekend for 4 coats), so I also bought some smoothcast rebound and I instantly dug the stuff. I couldn't get thivex or the thinner, so I had to improvise. Turns out that if you spread the stuff really thin (like actually pressing down) all the bubbles go away instantly, and then when it drips, it goes away completely... Also, instead of using thivex to thicken it, all I had to do is wait about 20 minutes until it started to partially cure in the cup before starting to spread it.
IMG_4299.JPG

IMG_4300.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4347.JPG

Then at some point I made a mother mold for the forehead out of plaster of paris. It was a 2 part mold, which I had a lot of trouble de-molding without the plaster breaking in half every time. Also, there were very few alignment points between the parts, so I had to hold it in place the whole time while casting it.
In the end, the first pull came out better than I expected... Also, this is my first time casting anything, or making molds, for that matter, so it's been a fun learning experience.
Here's the first (second - the first one was a mess) pull:
IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

Tomorrow I'll pick up some plasti-paste from the store and work on making the mother molds for the other pieces.
Stay tuned!

Wow!! Excelent work!! Super clean surfaces.
Can i ask you that type of final clay are you used for the edges before molding?? I have same problem. I use water based clay and dries quickly :(

Great work.

I think I learn something from every molding tutorial on here. Thanks for being so detailed.

Nick

I've been following this project for some time, both here and at Cosplay.com, and man, that thing is looking awesome! Sign me up for a kit when you get to it, I'd be down to purchase one. At the very least, sign me up for a PDF of the Pepfile, haha

Amazing! Very well done. I love how this helmet opens up. You've done a great job and can't wait to see this molded.

Like Nick said I've learned something from every tutorial here get information. Hopefully one day I can put it to use myself :wacko

AMAZING! great work!
Thanks!

Wow!! Excelent work!! Super clean surfaces.
Can i ask you that type of final clay are you used for the edges before molding?? I have same problem. I use water based clay and dries quickly :(

Great work.

Where you come from, my friend, this thing I used is called "plastilina". I was confused at first also, because for me clay is "arcilla" also. Anyway, I used NSP clay, which is a sulfur free type, needed if you're going to make silicone molds with it. Here is the wiki containing a brief explanation on clays:
Industrial plasticine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used van aiken brand:
m_clay_big.jpg

Hope this helps!

I think I learn something from every molding tutorial on here. Thanks for being so detailed.

Nick

"Tutorial" :lol - thanks for the compliments

I've been following this project for some time, both here and at Cosplay.com, and man, that thing is looking awesome! Sign me up for a kit when you get to it, I'd be down to purchase one. At the very least, sign me up for a PDF of the Pepfile, haha

You've been the most patient of them all! The end is near!

"Attempt" a better descriptor? :)

I often learn more from seeing other peoples mistakes than just a clear "here's the proper way to do this".

You learn the limits of the materials without going through the heartache of your own project getting messed up!

Nick

True, true... and the various threads here is the reason I've gotten so far on this project.
What I've found out is that lately I find myself saying "oooooh, so that's what they meant when they said __________" whenever attempting something myself and still making pretty much the same mistake :D - because in the end, nothing can replace the actual hands on.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again. Sometimes the best learning tool is screwing something up.

What size head will these fit? I might be interested in a cast or the pep file depending on the size if you offer casts.

What size head will these fit? I might be interested in a cast or the pep file depending on the size if you offer casts.

Let's see if it fits my head first :)

Here, I just took some dimensions for you, check the attachment.

Looking great. Glad to see/hear you're having better luck with the new materials. The cast looks really smooth so doesn't seem like you had much bubbles in the mold rubber (I'm still trying to improve my technique to minimize that).

I totally understand the "best learning tool is to screw up yourself" thing. Even with all the info out there I still screwed stuff up when making my first mold.

Yeah!! Many thanks!! I´ve used NSP clay before, but only for sculpt. Is a little expensive here. I´ll search in my country.
Thanks again.

I got a 5 lb brick for $10 over here, for the brand I'm showing.

Hey so how will you make this open and close?

VERY carefully :lol

some hinges and whatnot, maybe a servo or two. Haven't gotten there yet, but it makes sense in my head what it's supposed to work.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back