Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja *COMPLETED*

Diegator

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, So i've been lurking on the RPF long enough to think I have what it takes to start a thread on my latest build. Also, seeing as how
http://www.therpf.com/f24/gray-fox-cyborg-ninja-costume-wip-153954/
has a head start on me, I decided that now was a good time to start documenting the progress in-real-time.

Reference:
Untitled-3.jpg

What I have so far:
I started with a mugshot with a ruler to get the scale right:

SDC19973.JPG

Then scaled in AutoCAD and imported to my favorite cad package and went to work over the weekend to produce this:
cad1.JPG
cad5.JPG
cad21.JPG

When I was happy with the cad version, I exported a STL file, unfolded in pepakura and assembled:

IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

Here's a test with the lens and an LED light just for the coolness factor.

IMG_2119.JPG

Then I did the fiberglass thing.
(note: people write this step here as if it's no big deal... well, let me tell you something: IT IS)
IMG_2123.JPG

I made a couple of mistakes in the pep phase resulting in an uneven geometry at some places, so I decided to cover the outside and then work with that instead of the inside like most people seem to prefer doing. Also, right now the fit is a wee bit snug, so I don't mind the extra thickness for when I cast it.
IMG_2134.JPG

I've already done my first 2 layers of bondo/sanding but haven't taken any pictures yet.
Stay tuned!

PS. Since I'm new here, I just want to take a few seconds to say thank you to the whole community for posting your builds and writeups. It's because of you guys that I've learned what I know so far. Needless to say, the knowledge base here is HUGE and I'm really thankful that people share it freely. (Some times I can't get over the fact that the world is all like... connected... thanks to the internet, man...)

Last edited:
Re: Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja WIP

Looking good so far. The model looks really good. Can't wait to see the finished build.

Update!

I got the pictures of the first coat of bondo in:
IMG_2151.JPG

not looking pretty, eh?

I did some work on the electronics. Mainly I figured out a casing for the red light and tried and failed at casting a red lens for it:
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

In the end, I found a way of coating an existing clear lexan disk of the exact diameter I needed:
IMG_2188.JPG

How much resin can you balance on top of a convex disk? The answer: Way more than I thought
IMG_2177.JPG

Then I gave the rest of the mask a couple more coats of bondo and sanded.
At this point I realized I had omitted the neck cover. Figured I'd add it now and make it removable, and if it can't stay on, then I'll just get rid of it... but I want to at least have something there.
IMG_2192.JPG

After I marked areas that needed filler, I decided to add some lines to remember where the seams are supposed to go (no matter that they'll get covered soon)
IMG_2201.JPG

Then I couldn't resist but to put the light in to do a fit check and see it light up.

IMG_2223.JPG

OMG is that awesome or what?

IMG_2225.JPG

The light is actually red-orange, not pink, like it seems on the first picture. I tried to do some photoshop correction on the last one.

Stay tuned for more updates!

I was lurking, saw "grey fox" in the subject, and HAD to take a look. Looking great dude, keep at it.

It would be cool if you did the Alt Color - the San Diego Comic-Con PlayArts Exclusive Coloration

MGSPAKRdCybrgNnjSDCC12.jpg

Awesome build! I desperately want to make the PlayArts helmet as i think its a better design. How easy would it be for you to mod your pep file? are you going to post the pep file when this is all done? once again, great build I love the character and your doing his bad-assery justice!

Awesome job!
I just started replaying MGS1 this week after 10+ years away from it and am remembering how much I loved Ninja's helmet, one of my favorite video game helmets ever.

Can't wait to see more of your progress, maybe it will inspire me to finally make one of my own!

Does the hardened helmet fit onto your head as is or is it going to require a removable backplate to allow clearance to get it on? Unless that's the neck cover you mentioned, and it fits on fine without it...

Anways it looks fantastic so far, keep up the good work :)

Awesome job!
I just started replaying MGS1 this week after 10+ years away from it and am remembering how much I loved Ninja's helmet, one of my favorite video game helmets ever.

Can't wait to see more of your progress, maybe it will inspire me to finally make one of my own!

Does the hardened helmet fit onto your head as is or is it going to require a removable backplate to allow clearance to get it on? Unless that's the neck cover you mentioned, and it fits on fine without it...

Anways it looks fantastic so far, keep up the good work :)

I started playing it too a couple of weeks back and my CD is scratched, so I can't get past the sniper wolf battle D: and It's right at the end of disk 1!

Yes the hardened helmet fits me right now (without the piece I'm adding) but just barely... I had to open it a bit to get it to fit around my ears. During that test fit I probably inhaled enough bondo dust/fiberglass to give me all the cancer in the world :D. Not my best idea, in hindsight.

my jaw is on the floor... do you take commission work for cad files?

Depending on the scope of the project, sure! Sent me PM and we can discuss.

Awesome build! I desperately want to make the PlayArts helmet as i think its a better design. How easy would it be for you to mod your pep file? are you going to post the pep file when this is all done? once again, great build I love the character and your doing his bad-assery justice!

I can mod the cad file and then generate a pep file from that... the unfolding would be up to you though. Yes, I'll post the file once it is done - just a warning, it's like 3000 polygons!

It would be cool if you did the Alt Color - the San Diego Comic-Con PlayArts Exclusive Coloration

Depending on how this build goes, I think I'll do the playarts style ninja next, as a lot of people have been asking me for files for that, and modding the existing cad file to add the playarts detail would be semi-simple.

Previously on Diegator's Grey Fox Thread:

More sanding, more bondoing, more sanding.
IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

glassed and bondoed the neck piece and built up the difference.

IMG_2427.JPG

Also, had a stab at refining the edges and doing a bit of detail work using the dremel (best $60 I ever spent), though it will take a lot more patience and a steady hand.
IMG_2428.JPG

In the end it's proven to be a more artisan piece than I had expected, and less... engineerey. I may rapid prototype it one day... but until then, I'll keep on sanding and shaping.
IMG_2422.JPG

Stay tuned!

Quick update (pics heavy):

More sanding and bondoing... getting pretty smooth at this point, I'll transition to 200 grit sandpaper next and then do my first coat of primer.
I also bored the eye to the final diameter and did a test fit of the lens.

Pics follow:

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

Stay tuned!

As a new member, you are off to a great start! That's a great idea for the lens, what kind of resin did you use, and what kind of color ? Good luck with the rest of your build !

Thanks! I used easycast clear casting epoxy from castin'craft ( they sell it at tap playoff) and mixed it in with a red resin dye, also from castin'craft. It's typically used to make beads and jewelry.

I've been really busy/on vacation these last few weeks, so I haven't had time to work on stuff. Anyway, here's a quick update with progress pics.

Got to re-shaping the front of the face to remove the 'jowls' I inadvertently created when fixing the scaling issue miss-match.... long story... the face now has something closer to the correct shape.
IMG_2952.JPG

Then opened up the eyes again and did some more smoothing today:
IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

I'll prime and sand tomorrow, if time allows.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back