Deprecated Dick Tracy watch replica

I don't think so. I wrote him a little less than two weeks ago and he said he was a bit behind. He did send me some photos though to show that the parts were coming together. Hopefully the extra time means he isn't rushing assembly.
Sweet! Any chance you could post the pics he sent? I would love to see the progress!

Sweet! Any chance you could post the pics he sent? I would love to see the progress!
Sure, here you go! These are what he sent me over the past month with 5, 6, and 7 being from yesterday.

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

AWESOME! Looking great! Thanks for posting the progress shots. No rush on this end at ALLLLLL. The work is looking beautiful!

Hi Nick,

I've sent a couple of messages to you through Etsy. Can we please get an update? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I got a reply from him through etsy about a week ago. He said he sent the bodies out to be professionally rhodium plated and expects them back in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I got a reply from him through etsy about a week ago. He said he sent the bodies out to be professionally rhodium plated and expects them back in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A couple of weeks, eh? I'm hoping for an updated timeline. 4-6 weeks has become 4-6 months.

Thanks,

Hello friends,

This is an update about your Dick Tracy watches.

In brief, I have encountered unexpectedly long delays primarily due to pitting and voids in the brass cases. Ultimately, I chose to ship the final cases off to a third-party professional (www.replateit.com) for polishing and plating to avoid any mistakes by doing it myself. The positive is they will be plated in a layer of nickel and then a layer of rhodium, which will be durable and look very nice. The cost, however, is time. I must wait for him to complete his work and will update you when I receive them back – expected soon. At that point, I expect to assemble and ship.

That said, I would like to sincerely apologize for the absurd delays, uncertain ship dates, and for my lack of communication. My intention was to make these as a passion project and offered them for presale to afford the high cost of production through bulk purchasing parts and materials. In hindsight, I think it is wiser to finance these art projects myself such that they are completed before selling copies to recoup costs.

Fair warning: watch making is complex and should be approached much more conservatively than I have done. I will be happy to write a detailed article later this year tracking concept to finished product including pictures, costs, resources, techniques, etc. This article will appear on therpf.com and perhaps my own website.

As always, should you like a refund at any time, I am happy to oblige. I am also extending that offer for 30 days after you receive the watch.

In addition, please know that I have not been idle during delays. I can't say much now, but following the shipment of these pieces is a surprise that blows this watch out of the water and will be given as a gift to those who supported this project.

Thank you again for your support and patience.

Best,
Nick Mathis

Last edited:
Sadness: (Adj) Finding this thread on June 8th 2015 after looking for this item since 1990.

EDIT: To be completely clear, I hope and pray that the initial 20 offering becomes 100...

Last edited:
I just came across this thread and I really wish I hadn't since I missed out. This is one of the coolest things I've seen on here by far. Sincerely hope you consider making more as I would jump at the chance to own one of these.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back