Deprecated Dick Tracy watch replica

how long will this watch be available to order?

At least until I sell out of the available 20 spots on my Etsy shop. At that point, I have to assess the real costs of making them and decide if I should continue. But there are still seven spots left, so there's still time to grab one.

I got one! I just want to say thanks Nick for all your hard work. I've wanted a screen accurate version of this watch ever since I saw the movie when I was a kid. I had the plastic toy version I would wear all the time. I found out about the officially licensed watch, but was disappointed by how much it differed from the on screen version and it's super rare. They also consistently sell for over $600 on eBay when they do show up. For the last few years I have checked the The RPF threads a couple times a year to see if anyone had brought this watch to life. All the old threads just died out in 2010. On a whim, I checked last night and found your thread. I could hardly contain my excitement. When I saw that they were already for sale, and at a reasonable price, I was a little scared they would already be sold out. But I was able to get one of your final half dozen! At some point down the line I totally plan to add a speaker mechanism for the "calling Dick Tracy" effect. So thanks again.

On a more business-y note, the Etsy page says 4-6 weeks to ship. Is that actually what it will take, or is that just to cover any assembly issues? It's fine either way. I'm just glad my long search is over. This is my dream watch.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Five left!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Kamdan,

The ship date is six weeks from placing an order. It gives me time to outsource the brass casting and to then complete the watch in my shop.

On a more business-y note, the Etsy page says 4-6 weeks to ship. Is that actually what it will take, or is that just to cover any assembly issues? It's fine either way. I'm just glad my long search is over. This is my dream watch.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Thanks for your order! I'm excited to make your watch.

The six weeks gives me time to outsource the brass castings. If the casting is somehow defective, I need time to replace it. And, of course, time to complete the watch once I have an acceptable casting.

Nick

So I went to see Dick Tracy last night for I believe my second time. The first was with my father when it was originally released, I was 7. The one thing I really remember standing out for me as a kid was the watch. My dad bought one of the toy ones and I absolutely loved it. Even then though I wanted something that looked more like the one in the film. Today I decided to see if there were any replicas of the watch available and I found yours. My only regret is not finding out about this a little sooner before the Canadian dollar tanked but I'm really glad I didn't miss out on such an awesome piece.

Thanks for the support of this project everyone! Two slots left!

I'm making the run of 20 all at the same time and am working hard to guarantee an excellent project.

After I get these orders out, I will possibly consider making more, but I'm unsure–it's a lot of work! I began intending to make resin cast replicas that didn't even tell the time and wound up making actual watches. I do tend to get into my projects. Glad I did. I'm very happy to have finally made this watch and looking forward to sharing it with others who have the same appreciation for it as I have.

Looking forward to the next project!

Unexpectedly, the first appearance of the watch looks very similar to the film version. There are several iterations, however. Which one is your favorite? The 1960s video watch?

Now that you made an Accurate Movie Watch. I think everyone that bought that would want a Comic Strip Dick Tracy Watch?
Maybe like this Watch below?
You could put a clock in the Screen or this time make it just as a Wearable Prop?
The Screen could have an Image of maybe Dick Tracy on it? Like as if you were talking to him? Or just a blank screen?
Maybe the Gadgets below the Screen could light up when you press on the knobs?
Or maybe something like the Watch in Post 18? Which is a mesh of the Movie watch & the Comic watch? But if you could add the Light up parts underneath the screen to it?
But a Cool Comic Watch in any form would be Great to go with the Beautiful Movie Watch you just made!!

Attachments

• dick-tracy.jpg
    dick-tracy.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 100
Any news or updates on the watches?

Absolutely!

You should receive the same message through Etsy, but here's the update:

The first batch of 20 cases have been cast, received, and checked! All looks good, so the process of bringing them from rough to finished form begins now.

In response to popular request, you will notice on the inside of each watch is printed the edition and number. The example watch case pictured is Ed. 01 No. 001.

During the process finishing your watch, I will do my best to send updates with pictures.

All20Cases.jpgCase001.JPG

We're getting closer!

Nick

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back