Dewy and Anakin Starkiller's Accurate Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 1 Lightsaber Design

One possibility that the hilt was lathed off-center, thus its center, and they ground down a waster to match the emitter surface. Another possibility is that, if the face is a washer, that the washer itself is off-center. It's in my experience that because washers are stamped pieces, they're not all the same and often vary from another, if ever so slightly.

To clarify further, I'm only referring to the parts shown in red being misaligned from the rest of the saber:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    95.7 KB · Views: 87
The rod is centered in the saber, but the emitter bezel and washer are off center/at an angle. This is observed on the resin cast stunt hilts as well.

Can you show me some of the resin stunt hilts showing this? Your picture appears to show the rod not being centered in the washer. But you are saying that the rod is centered in the hilt, and that it's the bezel and washer that are off center compared to the rod and the rest of the hilt?

Thanks for the info on the LED bezels--I'll check those out.

To clarify further, I'm only referring to the parts shown in red being misaligned from the rest of the saber:

Right--Ok. That is interesting. Certainly plausible as those pieces would have been added last, and I could easily see how they could end up off center in the case of a poorly-stamped fender washer, which would throw off the center of the bezel it is mounted in.

And regarding the fender washer--I'm not against the theory of it being merely a machined piece. I just think it would be more unusual in that case that the center hole would be off center. The machinist would more easily be able to drill out the center hole concentrically with the piece still in the lathe. For it to be off-center, it would have to have been drilled out after being taken off the lathe. I also think that the surface in the reference pics appears to be like a fender washer, because it doesn't appear perfectly flat or show any marks as evidence of machining.

Love this discussion. Goes to show those Ep. 1 props were still a bit slap-bang and not so much sculpted/molded as the later movies.

I'd be very interested to see the brass valve reference! I've been hunting that the past few months, building on what was found years ago...

great work by the way, Dewy

Love this discussion. Goes to show those Ep. 1 props were still a bit slap-bang and not so much sculpted/molded as the later movies.

I'd be very interested to see the brass valve reference! I've been hunting that the past few months, building on what was found years ago...

great work by the way, Dewy

I agree--what's nice about the Episode 1 sabers is that they're a mix of both machined and found parts, like much of the OT. They have fewer found parts than the OT props, of course, but just enough to let us have fun doing some detective work.

I'll get together what I have on the brass valve, my own theory, and post it. Perhaps we can come up with a definitive model of it, finally. I'm really interested to know if anyone has ever found the exact blanking cap...

And for real, Dewy is killing it here... Gonna be hard to beat this project.

I work in the aerospace industry, and I have been working with a vendor for several months now to identify and source the blanking caps. I’ve been searching the internet far and wide. I think some RPF members may have even seen my posts on some of the aviation forums, as my vendor gave me a heads up that other people had randomly reached out to him all of the sudden about the exact same part.

I work in the aerospace industry, and I have been working with a vendor for several months now to identify and source the blanking caps. I’ve been searching the internet far and wide. I think some RPF members may have even seen my posts on some of the aviation forums, as my vendor gave me a heads up that other people had randomly reached out to him all of the sudden about the exact same part.
Aerospace? Perfect. That would explain your expertise with Solidworks and engineering.

Interesting to hear that others have reached out to the same vendor you have. Hopefully you can source an original and everything can be reverse-engineered from that.

Keep us posted.

Love this discussion— food for thought about the construction… IIRC, Ewan McGregor tells the story of picking his lightsaber. That they came to him with a pelican case with several lightsabers and one empty slot (assuming Neeson got to pick first).

It’s very possible, borderline likely, that the initial props were developed off the concept art with a little more time and care, which explains why they were more scratch built than total founds part jobs.

As to The solid core vs rod theory— it’s possible that these initial props, likely heroes, were more precisely made, and once the actors made their pics, all the back up heroes, stunts, and whatever other versions they cooked up were made for their specific need— be they lighter weight belt hangers, stunts, close up heroes, throwable, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if both methods were used.

That they came to him with a pelican case with several lightsabers and one empty slot (assuming Neeson got to pick first).

I know this is true, but it's absolutely bizarre to me both that they let the actors pick, and that Neeson and McGregor independently picked sabers that share design language with each other (black ribbed/scalloped insists) that none of the others have.

Guess Neeson didn't pick first! So cool to see! For all the ways the PT let me down ultimately, this does take me back to that first eras of fan speculation and excitement. Honestly, talking about props is the only way jaded old me can still get those vibes.

Also, cool to see that they had already been developing the stunts for ALL the models.

Last edited:
If you listen close during that clip you can hear Ty Teiger mention that they could give Liam what would ultimately become his Qui-Gon lightsaber "because he's taller" which is interesting to note because that hilt has the longer profile. It is pretty cool that the Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon sabers share similar details and it's funny how despite being picked independently by the actors it was worked into the fan theory that a padawan would share design similarities with his master's weapon as a subtle nod of respect to his/ her teacher.

There's also a video featurette exclusively on Star Wars.com that perhaps some eagle eyed fans may spot some familiar parts? I didn't happen to see anything in particular but I know how amazing you all are at catching the finest details that I may have overlooked.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back