Desert Hunter and Usurper Wolf paint up

Replica

G'day Hunters,
This is my first Predator mask and im very excited to sink my teeth into it! Judging by the comments left on xdmray's thread on the sculpting and construction of the mask itself, it seems highly anticipated, so i want to do it justice. This mask looks awesome, and fits like a dream! The detail is crisp and has a real life of its own.

Ive decided to take pics at the end of each day of painting, and update as often as possible.This is the mask as it looks after the first day:

01-1.jpg

Ive decided to paint it up P1-ish, but it is a unique sculpt, so i am just gonna wing it and do what feels right.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Thanks for looking,
Replica

damn, i already like that a million times more than what i was trying to do. keeping my eye on this thread.

know what would look cool as hell? some dreads the same color as the dark tan/brown.

like a desert pred.

Oh man, I LOVE the look of that halfmask!!!! Daman hahaha.... the paintup is looking great so far!!!!

Cheers mate!

damn, i already like that a million times more than what i was trying to do. keeping my eye on this thread.

know what would look cool as hell? some dreads the same color as the dark tan/brown.

like a desert pred.

Thanks man, glad you like it! That last comment, about the desert pred has totally changed the direction I was planning...and now i have a theme for my suit! The outback hunter! - cheers for the inspiration!

what bio are you gonna use on this mask?

Haven't decided yet mate, im tossing up either P1, or biohunters ancient. Either way, it will be given a rusty, bare metal look. The whole suit will be influenced by Mad Max, so it will look really primitive. I reckon Wolf or P2 would do the job nicely too...

Anyways, heres a pic - I wanted a little spot work, but not quite as extensive as the P1, because i liked the large smooth brown areas, and didnt want to break them up too much. I also deepened the colors of the mask by adding more shading and highlighting areas.

02.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Replica

really like that you left the ridge a lighter color. it gives it a really nice contrast. looking great, mate!

really like that you left the ridge a lighter color. it gives it a really nice contrast. looking great, mate!

Thanks! Yeah i really like how the ridge is shaped cause it pretty much shades itself, it has a hell of a lot of detail for a half mask, really, really nice!

love the spots. what did you use to make em?

Just used 2 brushes, size 1 for the big spots and a 000 for the small dots. Im gonna cover the whole mask in 2 more layers of brown to tie everything in together a little more, and make the back bone-plates look more natural, then the dreads go on!

Quick update, only had 40 min to paint today, so i did some touch ups and gave it a coat of clear latex. Its not glossy, for two reasons, first, we cant get perma-wet here in Australia and monstermakers want $100 for shipping alone. Second, as this guy will be hailing from the desert id imagine, like most desert reptiles and serpents his skin would be quite dry.

03.jpg

Comments welcome! Thanks for looking!

Replica

I also changed the title of the thread cause i realized it was very close to the existing one called "xdmray Half mask Gen2"

it's looking very good bro. thats too bad the shipping is so expensive. i'm really looking forward to seein yor mask complete with dreadts and a bio i like the idea of it being a dessert like pred.

Steve, have a look for LIQUITEX GLOSS MEDIUM AND VARNISH, its VERY similar to permawet , and maybe available down under.

I like the colours so far, going to be a interesting desgin when done, although i do not envy you suiting up in the heat you guys get hehe.

it's looking very good bro. thats too bad the shipping is so expensive. i'm really looking forward to seein yor mask complete with dreadts and a bio i like the idea of it being a dessert like pred.

Thanks mate, yeah im excited to see how it will turn out too :)

Steve, have a look for LIQUITEX GLOSS MEDIUM AND VARNISH, its VERY similar to permawet , and maybe available down under.

I like the colours so far, going to be a interesting desgin when done, although i do not envy you suiting up in the heat you guys get hehe.

Cheers lee, that Liquitex gloss medium and varnish looks perfect! Yeah, its heating up here again now, which sucks, and i reckon ill have the suit done by next summer, which will suck!

Very nice so far Steve!

Thanks bro, Im not sure what bio to chuck on him, im thinking maybe the Ancient, but perhaps a rusty P1 might be cool. Do you have any thoughts?

Ive got the dreads on him now, but im gonna make some slight changes to the paint, i dont really like how 'airbrushed' the brown spots look, so im gonna change them. Heres a pic for now:

04.jpg

Cheers for looking folks, much appreciated!

Replica

are the tips of the crown highlighted as well? i really like this paint scheme, and i might just try something more like it. my ideas were terrible.

are the tips of the crown highlighted as well? i really like this paint scheme, and i might just try something more like it. my ideas were terrible.

Yep, they are highlighted slightly paler than the yellow tones i used when the flesh meets the bone spines (sorry, not sure what else to call them :) ).

Im probably gonna go back and highlight them a little more, and darken the cracks in them. Thanks mate, really happy you like it! I was originally gonna go P1 style, but your desert pred comment changed my whole thinking, so technically it was your idea man! :(

That looks super awesome. who's dreads did you use?it loos really cool, a rusty P1 bio would look nice on that really looking forward to what your gonna do next.

That looks super awesome. who's dreads did you use?it loos really cool, a rusty P1 bio would look nice on that really looking forward to what your gonna do next.

Thanks mate, the dreads are Bambooie's P2 set, and i reckon im gonna use one of Casey's Ancient bios, painted like rusted metal, i reckon its just got more texture to it.

Heres a pic of the small changed ive made, with a little more highlighting and deeper shading on the crown. Might be hard to see:

05.jpg

Cheers!
Replica

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back