Denuo Novo (only) New and existing products

When I was inquiring about the Kylo Costume last week, I was told it would be added to the site for preorder 3-6 months before it is scheduled for shipment. We'll see if that kind of estimate holds true for the staff.

Been waiting for that . Not going to pre order don't trust them will wait till its in stock
So far Denuo has been very reliable on delivering products, so I'm not worried about it. The only reason I don't like pre-ordering from them is the final product can look in some way worse than the prototype photos, as is frequently the case. But I've wanted this one for years and $350 is a great price.

So, I was sent a gift card from DN and was looking at the Royal Guard and Luke's XW helmet, but the former means I have to shell out another 150-ish, PLUS probably another 300 in shipping, VAT (sales tax) and customs and the latter wouldn't be that much cheaper (plus I have the Black Series, which is nice enough for my needs). So what to do? Sell the gift card in the JY for less than it's worth? Get a helmet anyway? Decisions...

So, I was sent a gift card from DN and was looking at the Royal Guard and Luke's XW helmet, but the former means I have to shell out another 150-ish, PLUS probably another 300 in shipping, VAT (sales tax) and customs and the latter wouldn't be that much cheaper (plus I have the Black Series, which is nice enough for my needs). So what to do? Sell the gift card in the JY for less than it's worth? Get a helmet anyway? Decisions...

$300 in shipping??? Where do you live? The moon?

That sucks!

As an owner of the Imperial Guard Helmet, I would definitely recommend. It's an awesome helmet.

$300 in shipping??? Where do you live? The moon?

That sucks!

As an owner of the Imperial Guard Helmet, I would definitely recommend. It's an awesome helmet.
No, no, no, haha. Shipping+VAT+customs/tolls!

Shipping is about $100 (to Europe and I HOPE that's either DHL or UPS) then we have to add around 20-30% (depending on country) to the total cost in VAT and tariffs. So, we're looking at another 250-300 over the cost of the helmet.

I'm looking at it... and it really is nice. Was just never that super-into the Royal Guards for some reason. I was planning a repaint of the Black Series Luke I have, so I don't know if it'd be worth getting the DN version. It's a shame they don't currently offer a Vader at the moment! On the other hand... maybe a Tie Pilot to offset the Luke... hmm....

No, no, no, haha. Shipping+VAT+customs/tolls!

Shipping is about $100 (to Europe and I HOPE that's either DHL or UPS) then we have to add around 20-30% (depending on country) to the total cost in VAT and tariffs. So, we're looking at another 250-300 over the cost of the helmet.

I'm looking at it... and it really is nice. Was just never that super-into the Royal Guards for some reason. I was planning a repaint of the Black Series Luke I have, so I don't know if it'd be worth getting the DN version. It's a shame they don't currently offer a Vader at the moment! On the other hand... maybe a Tie Pilot to offset the Luke... hmm....
I would get a Royal Guard from Steve Butler instead. He's based int the UK so shipping would be much cheaper than coming from the US. I think the cost of the helmet itself is only about $300. His helmet was screen used in Rogue One.

As nice as the Denuo Novo looks it's not 100% accurate anyway to the originals. Although neither is Steve's since both replicas are fiberglass instead of vacuum formed in two halves, at least it is a perfect match to Rogue One.

I would get a Royal Guard from Steve Butler instead.
Yeah, except that I have that gift certificate for hundreds of bucks to use at DN! :)

(Plus... since the UK left the EU... buying from there carries the same issues as from the US when it comes to tax and stuff.)

Armor Party Podcast interview with Mark VonOhlen of Denuo Novo

Thank you for posting this. It's an excellent interview and sheds a new light on Denuo Novo for me.

It took me a while to get through it since I had to be sitting at my desk and not in a meeting, but definitely glad I listened to the entire thing.

I just heard about the possibility of the Stormtrooper armor parts in the interview yesterday, but for some reason I assumed it was going to be Imperial Stormtrooper armor. Not First Order.

I could build a life-sized bust sans helmet for $605 or just get the whole kit for $95 more.

I'm getting extras of arms and legs and upper body... Maybe midsection. Talking with them to see if I can get them to keep the sticker sheets and, in several cases, the resin greeblies.

In one case, I am after extra already-formed plastic to build up thickness. But I am also making a second set of chest/back armor, thighs, and greaves/spats
with the movie-accurate overlapping seams, just for 501st approval.

Since I can tailor mine to fit, and don't need to allow for actors of differing sizes in one replicated suit, I want to match the clean look of the decorative outer-leg seams, as well as both bicep seams. I want a nice, clean, consistent look across the costume. One thing I've noticed in researching is that there are very few glimpses of the seams in question, let alone clear views. So my sense is they were banking on that hard-to-see-ness to cut corners for convenience, and the "real" armor's seams all look like the more visible clean ones. And I'm willing to put in the work and pay them for the materials.

I'm getting extras of arms and legs and upper body... Maybe midsection. Talking with them to see if I can get them to keep the sticker sheets and, in several cases, the resin greeblies.

In one case, I am after extra already-formed plastic to build up thickness. But I am also making a second set of chest/back armor, thighs, and greaves/spats
with the movie-accurate overlapping seams, just for 501st approval.

Since I can tailor mine to fit, and don't need to allow for actors of differing sizes in one replicated suit, I want to match the clean look of the decorative outer-leg seams, as well as both bicep seams. I want a nice, clean, consistent look across the costume. One thing I've noticed in researching is that there are very few glimpses of the seams in question, let alone clear views. So my sense is they were banking on that hard-to-see-ness to cut corners for convenience, and the "real" armor's seams all look like the more visible clean ones. And I'm willing to put in the work and pay them for the materials.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a whole set? It sounds like you want all of the pieces minus sticker sheets and greeblies.

Not quite. The set comes with all the greeblies and gaskets and belt and belt boxes and ab boxes and like that. I am hoping, for many reasons, I don't need a second kidney plate. If I can avoid that, easier to spend a couple hundred here for arms, a couple hundred there for legs... Without the belt set, without the lower torso, without the gaskets, what I need comes to more than a hundred less than the full kit.

I also will need another set of arm and leg pieces even after getting a partial second kit, anyway.

I'm talking with them currently about offering "just the plastic" for less, as well as the extant sets. I already pointed out they mixed up the bicep and calf clips, so they're going to need to tweak the listings anyway. I don't expect saving anything by having them leave out the sticker sheet as a special instruction. There's not really any cost there.

Realized something, when I was looking at the parts sets they have up. Someone somewhere seems to think the biceps get the larger latch clips. The "arms" parts set comes with two large clips labelled for the biceps, and four small ones for the forearms. But. The biceps get the small clips. I pointed this out to them. Then, a little bit later, it poked me in the back of my head -- the full armor kit I got came with six large and six small clips. It should be four and eight, respectively. So I pointed that out them, too. Interesting.

OK... so I just used my gift card and bought a Royal Guard helmet. They confirmed it was in stock a couple days ago. (I was waiting for their BF sale, of course.) Now comes the wait. Wish me luck...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back