Denix Colt Dragoon; I need some advice!!!

darkev2

Hello Folks

I'm thinking of getting the Denix replica of the Colt Dragoon for a conversion project but one thing is turning me away, the scene inscribed on the cylinder. Does anyone know how one could "fill in" or other wise "minimize" this inscription??? Below is a picture for reference.

denix dragoon.png

Thanks

darkev2

Unless you're really familiar with the denix guns, I would not take one apart. The "screws" holding the grips on are not screws and need to be drilled out. The cylinder, to remove it and work on it, will probably need you to take the gun entirely apart, so if you go that far just remember to keep track of how the internals are set up, because it won't be anything like a real pistol.

I would have to imagine you could fill the scene with solder, and then sand it smooth. Maybe you can just sand it smooth as is. If you're going to paint the finished piece, you might be able to fill it with bondo, or miliput, or a metal putty, and once again, sand it smooth. :)

Is the conversion for something specific? If not, Denix also has an m1860 which is similar with a smooth cylinder.

I agree with paddyfritz, the Denix pistol is meant to put on a wall and look pretty. Are you familiar with automotive bondo? Might be your best best to adhere to the pigmetal cylinder. Of course you'd have to repaint it anyway.
Seeing as you have to remove the hammer, the cylinder won't be able to spin, did you want to use the Denix for it's weight or would you consider one of the resin kits available out there?

Hello 19narvik40

Well I was thinking about using the Denix as a more accurate source of the core parts (weight is just the icing on the cake) of the Cosmo Dragoon namely the trigger housing, main body, barrel and the cylinder. Now in addition I have also found a source for the trigger guard, cylinder and trigger which would cause me to scratch build the rest over time. Not a deal breaker in itself given the overall flat box like body of the base weapon. Heck I am even considering losing a bit on a one to one match and using an old pyro plastic pistol kit I picked up for next to nothing a few days ago. In any event I either secure the denix or enough real / accurate or "near" as I can get parts to have a decent shot at a good replica. Mine you if I could get a good adult sized resin kit of the Cosmo Dragoon which was in more then 2 to 3 parts and had a rotating cylinder and a working trigger I would buy it in a microsecond.!!!

Darkev2

I agree with paddyfritz, the Denix pistol is meant to put on a wall and look pretty. Are you familiar with automotive bondo? Might be your best best to adhere to the pigmetal cylinder. Of course you'd have to repaint it anyway.
Seeing as you have to remove the hammer, the cylinder won't be able to spin, did you want to use the Denix for it's weight or would you consider one of the resin kits available out there?

Darkev2, The problem I see is that when you remove the hammer you remove your ability to have the cylinder spin. The spur that causes the cylinder to move is attached to the hammer. Unless you can find a way to cut down the hammer so it fits under the new part, the cylinder will only move if you physically move it with your hand. The problem with cutting down the hammer is the fact that the Denix is made of pig metal or white metal and isn't very strong. Something to think about.

Hello 19narvik40

Well now that is something to mull over. Lose the hammer to fit the Cosmo Dragoon back piece and you lose the cylinder movement when the gun is ******. Okay anyone out there have that 14inch taito $150.00 version of the Cosmo Dragoon??? If so what the frell does that back piece on the pistol do??? I mean the piece replaces the "hammer" so to speak does it do anything like rotate the cylinder perhaps??? In any event to modify the denix you have to lose most if not all of the hammer and with a dremel and a good set of cutting and shaping bits that does not seem to be that difficult. Note if I'm wrong, someone please chime in!!!

Darkev2

Darkev2, The problem I see is that when you remove the hammer you remove your ability to have the cylinder spin. The spur that causes the cylinder to move is attached to the hammer. Unless you can find a way to cut down the hammer so it fits under the new part, the cylinder will only move if you physically move it with your hand. The problem with cutting down the hammer is the fact that the Denix is made of pig metal or white metal and isn't very strong. Something to think about.

It would be easy to cut the metal as it is so soft. Zinc airguns are much harder. They seem to make the Denix stuff out of the softest potmetal they can get.

Paddyfritz, the issue isn't that it can be cut but that what is left is considerably weaker to work with.

Darkev2, I took a look at my Off World PKD and the part is cut down somewhat so it might be possible to cut the hammer down to the semi-circular hub. That might allow you to retain the cylinder spur which rotates the cylinder.I am trying to find a schematic of the interior on the Dragoon to see where the spur sits on the hammer assembly to be sure.
As for what the piece in place of the hammer, I would imagine it is there to make the pistol more interesting. Harlock's pistol looks quite similar to the sidearm on Space Cruiser Yamato.gun20.jpg

Darkev2, It would seem that you are going to need to keep most of your hammer. as the Dragoon is a single action revolver. My idea is that the extra piece is attached to the cut down hammer using a pin to allow it to swivel as you pull it back and cock the pistol. The problem with that is now the hammer and extension will be left in the ****** position until you pull the trigger. You could cut down the sear that holds the hammer back which would allow the hammer to return without pulling the trigger. Another option is to pull the trigger back before and hold it as you cock the hammer which will allow the cylinder to turn and the hammer to return to the closed position. I am including a photo of a real Dragoon broken down to the main components
.ColtDragoon2.JPG.w560h244.jpg
I hope this was of some help to you. I know of a few online and eBay stores that sell a resin replica, would they be of interest to you?

Hello 19narvik40

Thanks for the ideas and comments. I clearly have a set of possible options to consider and the mechanics of each option to scope out. Yes if it wouldn't be too trouble I would like to see the sources for a resin dragoon pistol.

Thanks Again

Darkev2

Darkev2, It would seem that you are going to need to keep most of your hammer. as the Dragoon is a single action revolver. My idea is that the extra piece is attached to the cut down hammer using a pin to allow it to swivel as you pull it back and cock the pistol. The problem with that is now the hammer and extension will be left in the ****** position until you pull the trigger. You could cut down the sear that holds the hammer back which would allow the hammer to return without pulling the trigger. Another option is to pull the trigger back before and hold it as you cock the hammer which will allow the cylinder to turn and the hammer to return to the closed position. I am including a photo of a real Dragoon broken down to the main components
.View attachment 452850
I hope this was of some help to you. I know of a few online and eBay stores that sell a resin replica, would they be of interest to you?

I have on hand a gunnison/griswald by denix, which is basically a colt dragoon with a different cylinder, there are minor differences but it was a confederate colt copy, they are heavy by today's standards, but who cares, I am planning on taking mine completely apart, my grips are actually wood which surprised me, if money and location are not an issue you could spend $274 mas or Minos at Dixie gun works and have one that would shoot. For what I am planning my denix is a good starting point. Dragoons are big guns, sure you can buy a resin kit off of ebay or amazon but what fun is that?

Hello Broilermaker

Getting a static resin kit is an option but not at all my first one. Right now I am trying to find a good "side" view of the inner workings of a single action pistol, preferably the colt dragoon or similar to see how the exact mechanism works and then from that I can begin to see how it may be modified to the cocking action of the Cosmo Dragoon. Failing the diagram I will fall back on the pyro plastic model kits I just purchased as a guide to the real thing. The video of the alternative version of the dragoon showed that such a cocking mechanism is possible so I know such can be done. In the above 19narvik40 provided a MAJOR clue which is I think pointing me in the right "general" direction but time will tell if I can pull it off. Oh by the way what are you planning for the gunnison & griswald, perhaps the same thing I am???

darkev2

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back