Denix Lemat Conversion

Jff007

Hey all, so I picked up a Denix Lemat and I've been browsing various threads here but I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me clear up.

First off: what's the easiest, and safest way to fully dismantle it? I don't want to completely destroy it by mistake so I figured I'd ask for advice from those who've attempted this before me.

I'm planning on bluing the replica, but I don't know how well it'll blue or what to use since it's a zinc alloy, from what I've read. I'd need one with good longevity that won't destroy the replica. The bluing I've seen thrown around is Philips Gun Blue Paste, Birchwood Casey Liquid Blue, Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, and Blue Wonder. What one will work the best? I'm wanting a clean, consistent dark coat to make it look factory new, then doing weathering after. Since I want to do weathering after, should I use steel wool first before applying the bluing?

The next thing I wanted to do was to swap some of the parts out. I want to use the Pietta Navy style hammer (the one with the flip lever) and to install a spur style trigger guard. Will the Pietta parts fit fine? (I know that the grips unfortunately don't, so unless someone has good wood ones that do fit, I'll be painting the ones it comes with to get a faux wood design).

Then, finally, I'm thinking of doing an airsoft conversion to it, but I can't find much on airsoft conversions for Denix replicas. I've seen some images and videos of completed ones, but they're pretty old. This is more of an "extra" desire with it, but any advice is greatly welcome!

Good luck.

Bluing the Denix can be a challenge and while chemicals like Blue Wonder give the zinc a nice deep blued finish, its very fragile and easily scratched off. I haven't found any other chemical that works as well with regards the rich blue but through a lot of trial and tribulation, I have found a solution that gives a robust finish.

After stripping back the entire firearm and cleaning it with Birchwood'a Blue and Rust remover, I have treated the surface with the Birchwood chemical finish. Make sure the surface temperature is warm (follow the instructions) and while it might take a little patience to get the surface even, the result is a hard iridescent finish but the zinc turns the metal a warm bronze - instead of it being blue.

Once done, I then use G96 Gun Blue cream over the top of the Birchwood finish and again careful attention needs to be paid to the evenness of the finish and the temperature of the metal. The result is a much darker blue (almost black) but now the challenge is that the finish is chalky and not a rich black/blue. A simple trick then is to polish the entire firearm with Kiwi Black boot polish which takes out the chalky finish and the look of the firearm is a rich colour that is very robust and looks the part of an aged firearm.

There are more than likely other folk here who have experimented with other solutions for the Denix so dig around the threads and see if you find any. I was looking for a specific finish and what I have described here works for what I was chasing but it might not suit what you are wanting to achieve so, I suggest you experiment on a trashed Denix first.

I hope you are successful
MARK

Good luck.

Bluing the Denix can be a challenge and while chemicals like Blue Wonder give the zinc a nice deep blued finish, its very fragile and easily scratched off. I haven't found any other chemical that works as well with regards the rich blue but through a lot of trial and tribulation, I have found a solution that gives a robust finish.

After stripping back the entire firearm and cleaning it with Birchwood'a Blue and Rust remover, I have treated the surface with the Birchwood chemical finish. Make sure the surface temperature is warm (follow the instructions) and while it might take a little patience to get the surface even, the result is a hard iridescent finish but the zinc turns the metal a warm bronze - instead of it being blue.

Once done, I then use G96 Gun Blue cream over the top of the Birchwood finish and again careful attention needs to be paid to the evenness of the finish and the temperature of the metal. The result is a much darker blue (almost black) but now the challenge is that the finish is chalky and not a rich black/blue. A simple trick then is to polish the entire firearm with Kiwi Black boot polish which takes out the chalky finish and the look of the firearm is a rich colour that is very robust and looks the part of an aged firearm.

There are more than likely other folk here who have experimented with other solutions for the Denix so dig around the threads and see if you find any. I was looking for a specific finish and what I have described here works for what I was chasing but it might not suit what you are wanting to achieve so, I suggest you experiment on a trashed Denix first.

I hope you are successful
MARK

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely do some testing before going all in on the Lemat. How fragile are we talking with the usual chemicals--will it scratch off on just a simple handling? Would applying a thin clear coat help with that?

Do you happen to have experience with dismantling the Lemat (and have any insight on if the Pietta hammer will fit fine)?

Grab the barrel firmly, muzzle pointing up. Put a cushion on your knee to catch the bits and then holding it in mid air hit the front of the trigger guard with a hammer and the thing should separate.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back