Definitive GTI Dick Tracy Watch Thread

The Dick Tracy movie watch I have was manufactured by Apollo; it has the Dick Tracy silhouette printed in black on the stainless steel back as do most watches produced as merchandise for the film. Although shape-wise it is less like the real deal than the Playmates one, this one has a talking function. The strap is black leather with yellow stitching.

This is a photo of mine, on my wrist (sorry for poor quality)

picture6o.jpg

and a picture of a carded watch

dickwatch.jpg

Last edited:
So many people have been having luck with printing thinner stainless steel parts from shapeways. before i was talking about how there was a 3mm thickness minimum limit, but it seems that people have been printing at details MUCH finer than that. It would be far easier for me, and probably the same price for you all, if i could set it up so you can order your own from shapeways, in steel. I'll still be doing aluminum at home, but I'll get you an updated file for shapeways and you can print it from them. details to come...

1mm thick face, and 2.25 mm thick walls, available for order in stainless steel today, for deliver in 2 weeks from order from shapeways.com, for $50 shipped. but of course I haven't myself tried this in steel from shapeways, so no guarantees.

Last edited:
this is a pretty great idea. I like having the option of having different types of materials used for the watch. Would it be possible to get a matching piece for the back of the watch as well? Im guess we would have to make the holes on the watch bands to fit right? i like this option.

i can make holes and a back but i'm not sure how they'll attach as a temporary method. for permanent you can just glue them. i dont know how well screws will hold and i wont try to 3d print threads at this scale. adding the back plate will add to the cost

maybe some will order the backplate in the alumide material, or something cheaper. i'll model it and upload that as a separate part.

check the site. everything is updated. the watch face is now 2.01mm thick instead of 1.03mm, and the back plate is available. i added four 1mm dia holes in the back plate as well as in the watch case, so someone can figure something out.

this model is missing holes for the two side buttons.

i can update, or they can be drilled after.

Last edited:
Zenix GREAT work. I look forward to ordering a cheap version and seeing what i can do with it before I spring for a metal one. Leave it so the button/crown holes need to be drilled by the user. Also good idea on the back plate and 1mm holes. Something can be worked out.

i got a metal part from them today, with the plain stainless steel option and it is smoother than i thought. i dont think people would be too upset with it. i'll still work on aluminum but this is so much easier for me and already available

The faceplate/case of the watch costs around $48 or $50, including shipping. Get the antique bronze glossy (~$50), or the stainless steel (~$48)

the backplate, if you want it, is a little bit more. the cost of the back depends on the material you choose, but you can get away with it for about $7-$8 for the plastics, but $25 for stainless steel.

Hi Zenix,
A little hard to tell on shapeways "3d view", is the back of the watch modeled to fit the backplate you have designed? Will the screw holes line up with something on the watch body to accept screws (assuming we have to drill/tap them ourselves)? Is the face flat or does it have curves (aside from the main body curve). One other suggestion. The watch will need some sort of recess for a Crystal (the glass over the face). Googling, it looks like flat watch crystals come in 1mm - 2mm thicknesses.

I am looking at this watch body to make a working watch so that is the position my questions and requests come from. If you only want to provide a body for static watches disregard :) You have done wonderful work so far.

-Todd

they just line straight up. the back doesn't go inside the faceplate, just is the same size and holes line up. i have no idea if screws will work, but the holes will line up. maybe if you force a screw it, it might create its own threads or something. i can't design the threads with this method of manufacturing. there are holes in both the faceplate and the backing.

the faceplate holes are 2.01mm thick, so a crystal face can be cut and clued in there. i'm not doing that.

the spacing between the watch band holders is 16mm and wide enough to hold a 16mm bar. they have spring loaded bars so it can fit in and hold it. you'll need to make holes for the bar. i think a pen knife would do this well enough to hold the bars

i dont understand your curve question.
ZOOM.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Zenix,
The 3d view on shapeways made the face look a bit multi angled. Just wanted to clarify.
25577789.jpg

here is what I mean on the "lip" missing in the watch face hole:
4685058197e53fb72d88b.jpg

there needs to be a lip for the watch crystal to sit in. see the small rim created by the outer and inner edges? a watch crystal cannot just sit in a hole. It needs a shelf.

zenix, what CAD software are you using? I'd like to try and start using CAD for things like this, ideally I'd need something that's free to download and easy for a beginner

If you are a student some colleges have autocad for free on your campus account. Also, some universities sale the student edition of Autocad for much cheaper than the real version. You might try that.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back