Definitive GTI Dick Tracy Watch Thread

lint

Hi All,
Thanks to the wonderful DrMcoy I am the proud owner of a Dick Tracy Watch. It is something I have wanted ever since I saw it in the movie and I am extremely grateful to DrMcoy for the transaction.

Threads pop up every so often asking about replicas or possible interest in getting some made. I thought I would measure this watch, open it and post all the pictures in the hope that someday someone does replicate this great watch.

HQ photos are posted on my flickr account here:
Dick Tracy Watch Photos

Here are some low res photos for the thread though.

p6030001m.jpg

p6030003.jpg

p6030005.jpg

p6030006.jpg

p6030007.jpg

p6030008.jpg

p6030010.jpg

p6030012.jpg

p6030013.jpg

p6030015.jpg

p6030016.jpg

p6030018.jpg

p6030019v.jpg

piece.jpg

Here is the place they were made (Now a Nail Supply Shop). GTI - 1597 E. 30th St. Cleveland:
1597east30thstcleveland.jpg

I updated some more pictures on my flickr account for those interested. Here is the movement info for history's sake:

EBOSA
Model: 168.110
Size: 6¾ x 8
Thickness: 2.80
Features: S
Hands: 70/120/20

This model has been discontinued though and it is recommended to use this as a replacement:

ETA
Model: 802.104
Size: 6¾ x 8
Thickness: 2.95
Features: S
Hands: 70/120/20

This info will be helpful to anyone who has broken one of these watches. You CAN fix these watches if they break or get water damage (something I imagine would be VERY easy).

Damnit! I totally missed the bus on that one! It burns!!!

Oh well, my own dumb fault. But thanks so much for the photos and measurements! There was a brief movement to make a more screen accurate version, but I believe it fell through.

More info from "Dick Tracy: The Making of the Movie" Book:
dt1b.jpg

These images have been posted before. Check my Flickr account for HighRes versions.
dt4o.jpg

dt3f.jpg

Does anyone by the way know of contact info for C.J. Maguire?

i'm overwhelmed and overjoyed by the response from you all. i've gotten dozens of emails PMs and even a few phone calls already. I'm excited to work with you all!

it'll be really easy for me to make these in resin but i feel that since its a watch, it might need to be metal. i'm going to look into making them in resin and in stainless steel. the steel ones will cost much more

thanks for your help on this zenix. it is a prop many people have been looking to acquire. I dug out my digital calipers tonight and will be taking lots of measurements tomorrow.

i think anyone can say with out a doubt that this watch is the one prop anyone would want. I seriously spend every other day trying to find this watch. i think aesthetically it is beautiful, especially given today's technology, its very possible to make this work.

I really hope there is some way to have a run made of these watches in metal or even resin, but your very lucky to own one. very very cool watch. just amazing!

-M

I've been talking to some people. We'll definitely get this done. I'll make the CAD model of it next week. This weekend is busy with chilling with Weird Al at his concert in m stormtrooper armor, father's day, date night, and a super mario brother's themed rave saturday night

I've been talking to some people. We'll definitely get this done. I'll make the CAD model of it next week. This weekend is busy with chilling with Weird Al at his concert in m stormtrooper armor, father's day, date night, and a super mario brother's themed rave saturday night

I NEED TO HANG OUT WITH YOU! lol. sounds like a great weekend lol.

I can have a run of resin 'cases' finished and ready to ship to you all in ~3 weeks. but I'm not sure people will want that. Also I'm not 100% sure how to get the watch band to attach to the case since making that hole in the resin for the band to pass through wouldn't be simple or strong enough to hold it, i think. I feel like this part really should be stamped in metal, which I haven't yet done before. theres another method that uses 3d printing to print in stainless steel which will probably work, but will be expensive, and the cost to make 1 is 1/10 the cost of making 10, if you know what i mean. no volume discount like if we had a mold to keep making them

Hi Zenix,
I think the best bet is to make the model, 3d print one in plastic to check for fit of everything and then use one of the 3d models to have a foundry cast them. I think the cases will have the be cast without the strap holes or the pusher/crown holes as they are so tiny. They will need to be made on a drill press afterwards. Unless you want to make this a really expensive run I think a lot of the work is going to have to be done by the person who really wants one of these watches. We do not even know how to fit a timepiece to them yet or what kind of back they will have. The GTI one has a pressure fit back. It is a stamped piece of metal that wedges in. I personally think a curved piece of metal with countersunk screws would be better.

I think if anyone wants to offer these watches the easiest way will be to just get a case with a fitted back cast and let the buyer fit the other components. It will save a lot of headache!

-todd

Lint makes a good point, focus on making the best case possible. What if you offered a kit - case w/ back, knobs, bezel, speaker grill, maybe the watch face? Those who have the technical know-how can build up a full working watch, and those of us who don't can still have a nice static prop...

I also came across this today...

Amazon.com: Build-It-Yourself Kids' Watch Kit: Watches

It's a kids watch kit, the "guts" of the watch look like they may be small enough to fit your case...

it'll cost me about $60 to print one of these in stainless steel with a 3d printer... not CNC. (thats with %0 profit on my side, and I'm of course not going to be spending my time doing this for nothing)

its just a quick model and i know there are details left out... like the spot where the watch attaches. the purpose of this model was to figure out the approximate volume to calculate the printing cost of this one particular process. this case has no back. for this process i'm not allowed to draw any wall thinner than 3mm, so this is all a little thicker than 3mm.

tracy.jpeg

and the under side:
tracyunder.jpeg

...GoneSolo, hold your horses =)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back