Death Star surface - pyro model reproduction

Really cool!
To be honest I was surprised to see it being filmed outdoors in broad daylight, but then again isn't lots of pyro stuff done outside the studio?

Cheers,
Josh

And I think I will name your "table saw" - Fingerbiter!

Heh, yeah I know it does look a bit scary doesn’t it? I value my fingers so I was very respectful of it and worked mindfully around it but it was the best solution I could think of without buying some specialty tool I’d probably not use again or often. I think the creative problem solving and improvisation is one of the aspects of this kind of work that I enjoy...

Dan

That is a pretty neat idea. Any plans for a fireball on it?
Painted cotton ball with light in it type stuff?

I did indeed think about that originally! As I progressed along though I decided to just leave it be. But I have seen some folks do incredibly convincing smoke and fire that way!

Dan

I did indeed think about that originally! As I progressed along though I decided to just leave it be. But I have seen some folks do incredibly convincing smoke and fire that way!

Dan
I guess there is a third option of leaving a blackened scar from the after effects. Turn it into the "used" movie prop version. :unsure:

There is also the option, later on, to make the fireball with light that hangs, or someway like that, in front of the piece, but not actually attached, so it does not mess with the awesome work you have done on these surface tiles.
I've had things like that where I'm like, I'll get back to that later on.
Some projects took many years to get back and finish the idea, and some...........never did.......
Always good to throw some ideas around just incase.

Beautiful! I Could imagine that it would look great in life size on your wall... Instead of a stone imitation some guys are having on their walls ;)

Do you know how many different sets were used for the death star surface? Some looked convincing, others not

So, six primary tile quadrants in all - there's a great thread here on parts maps for all those:

Death Star Tiles Parts Maps

Bandai did a very nice job reproducing these. There are a few areas where they simplified things and in one case modeled two subtiles of one of the six quads to look more like the smaller version of the quad in order to incorporate the mounting plug for the X-Wings included in the kit, but overall they look pretty good (e.g., you can see tiny versions of the donor parts in many areas):

Tile 6_bandai_compare.jpg

Now, those are the six main quads, but looking at the panel I chose to reproduce you can see the smaller versions of some of these quads and the other variants used in other surface models:

EP4_BTS_947_R_crop1_small.jpg

The walls of the mini trench in particular are lined with many of these:

trench_crop_small.jpg

Most or all of those were used in other models:

cine-edlund-1978-2_small.jpg

I had to 3D model all those other smaller versions and variants as best I could from these kinds of reference images to reproduce the section I chose.

Dan

3DImpact Fantastic work! I actually started the same project a while ago (in a smaller scale!) as part of the 20mm Death Star tile project I worked on last year, but didn't get quite all the way there -- I still had a few tiles to identify. Maybe thanks to your incredible work I can finish that now :D!

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 9.11.07 AM.jpg

3DImpact Fantastic work! I actually started the same project a while ago (in a smaller scale!) as part of the 20mm Death Star tile project I worked on last year, but didn't get quite all the way there -- I still had a few tiles to identify. Maybe thanks to your incredible work I can finish that now :D!

View attachment 1473211

Whoa - that's great! Indeed, I remember your thread very well and am not surprised that you started in on this - sorry to 'scoop' you! Looking forward to seeing yours!

Maybe searching around my finished version compared to ILM reference might help you with some of those missing tiles...

compare_06.jpg

T2sides and I are thinking about offering a very limited edition of duplicate builds (like maybe five or so) of mine for anyone who might be interested. We haven't decided on a price yet but it was a LOT of work to build this so they won't be cheap if we proceed...

Dan

Whoa - that's great! Indeed, I remember your thread very well and am not surprised that you started in on this - sorry to 'scoop' you! Looking forward to seeing yours!

Hah, no worries at all! I have a habit of getting distracted by having 5 projects going at once - you should see my list of planned builds! I still have one model from 2019 and one from 2020 still unpainted too :lol:. Hell, my Death Star trench is still unfinished, but I just ordered some Archive-X paints so I can finish it in accurate colors!
Maybe searching around my finished version compared to ILM reference might help you with some of those missing tiles...

View attachment 1473314

Thanks again -- that photo is amazing; your work is so crisp! What are the final dimensions of yours?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back