Death Star surface - ILM parking lot trench reproduction

3DImpact

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A bit over a year-and-a-half ago I rolled out my Death Star pyro surface model:

Death Star surface - pyro model reproduction

That was a ton of fun to do and I know a few other folks were and have been working on the same model at various scales. t2sides for example has gotten to see mine in person a few times and is in progress on his own.

In the process of starting work on his version of that pyro surface model Sean decided that he would cast enough copies of tile to do a few other pieces as well and we began discussions together to generate a reproduction of the well-known Red Leader "It's a hit!" pyro model of the trench, the famous ILM parking lot trench. Sean's trench actually started before mine! You'll see more of his when he rolls it out but I wanted to give proper credit - here's a pic I snapped of his trench end way back in October last year:

IMG_8274_small.jpg

At first I was simply excited to help Sean identify and plan out some of the tile placements based on the various reference photos we could find. But the deeper I got into the research the more fascinated (and obsessed!) I became and I decided I just had to do this model myself as well.

So, the same as I did for my first pyro surface model, I present my retrospective WIP thread with a selection of WIP images and the final finished model.

Digital planning in modo during the early stages as I was starting to map out the surface level while Sean worked the trench walls:

trench_linkup_05small.jpg

Later I started to bring in the wall bits that Sean IDed:

Physical construction:

IMG_8213_small.jpg

IMG_8322_small.jpg

IMG_8313_small.jpg

IMG_8577_small.jpg

IMG_8601_small.jpg

IMG_8612_small.jpg

IMG_8629_small.jpg

IMG_8630_small.jpg

IMG_8469_small.jpg

IMG_8611_small.jpg

And, the final model, completed back in December:

5D3_1756_small.jpg

5D3_1785_small.jpg

5D3_1866_small.jpg

Some comparisons with reference from the Van Nuys parking lot shoot:

ILM_model_compare_01small.jpg

ILM_model_compare_02small.jpg

ILM_model_compare_05small.jpg

ILM_model_compare_06small.jpg

Whew, that was a heck of a challenge! There are some bits that are simply not correct, as we didn't have complete reference coverage of the whole model (i.e., low-resolution coverage of many parts of the surface and complete gaps in coverage for much of the trench itself). I know of a few tiles that I'll be replacing as Sean finishes his. But I tried to reproduce the rest as closely as I could. The whole model is about 37 inches long and weighs 9.5 pounds. So happy to have it join my first pyro model on display in my gallery.

trench_display_small.jpg

Dan

Incredible work, well done! I love the attention to detail and how you got every panel right. You must've studied the heck out of the old photos.

Some amazing stuff!

If you had to guess, what scale would you put it at?

Thanks!

The Bandai tiles (each tile of a quad) are about 37mm square. The actual ILM tiles were a foot square. So that looks like a scale of very roughly 1/8.2.

Dan

Thanks!

The Bandai tiles (each tile of a quad) are about 37mm square. The actual ILM tiles were a foot square. So that looks like a scale of very roughly 1/8.2.

Dan

Sorry, I meant if you were to scale an X-Wing to fit in there, what scale would it have to be?

As far as I can tell, the Bandai tiles, while being used as bases for 1/72 subjects, are probably more like in the 1/350 to 1500 range I think

Sorry, I meant if you were to scale an X-Wing to fit in there, what scale would it have to be?

As far as I can tell, the Bandai tiles, while being used as bases for 1/72 subjects, are probably more like in the 1/350 to 1500 range I think

Oh, I see - sorry. Well, using the one frame where one of Vader's wingman TIEs contacts the wall and explodes, and taking that as an indication of the scale of the tile structures relative to the TIEs and other ships, I make it that none of the kits out there are small enough. I'd have to go back and figure it again but I remember doing this for fun while I was building this and I remember that a TIE wing would come in at something like 1/2-3/4 inch tall or so...

Dan

Oh, I see - sorry. Well, using the one frame where one of Vader's wingman TIEs contacts the wall and explodes, and taking that as an indication of the scale of the tile structures relative to the TIEs and other ships, I make it that none of the kits out there are small enough. I'd have to go back and figure it again but I remember doing this for fun while I was building this and I remember that a TIE wing would come in at something like 1/2-3/4 inch tall or so...

Dan

Sounds about right. It is tiny for sure, but would look so cool to see some ships in there

Been thinking about doing something similar myself, especially after seeing a build like yours

To say you NAILED IT Dan would be an understatement!! The details match the original so perfectly, in particular, the amazing 'offset' you built in for those 2 'antenna arms' at the exhaust port area. It's those little details that really make this shine.

You are most gracious with your comments, it sure has been a fun collaboration doing research with you on this. I'm so glad you made it to the finish line and have it on display with your other amazing death star surface! They look Perfect together!!

Definitely motivating me to get back on this project and get it done - you have set the bar high my friend!

Congrats and Nice Job!
-Sean

Thanks much Sean! The reason this project was SO fun was the collaboration with you and the excitement in sharing new reference discoveries as we went!

Dan

LOL - you know, I think we mentioned that at one point, that it'd be fun to put that in there too. Of course, it'd be fun to make a truly accurate/detailed model that reproduces all the 2x4 bracing and so on. I'll leave that to someone else... ;)

Wow ... this is truly incredible ... the detail even to the sunlight in the right angle ... you had me fooled for a moment thinking I was actually looking at the parking lot set-up ... and you know what, you can even get a Vista-Vision camera miniature, if you wanted to ... to the scale you require, ... to recreate a true Industrial Light & Magic moment :

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-11 om 00.49.24.png

Chaïm

Last edited:
It's beautiful! :'-)

Amazing work, and i love that it's small enough to be a display piece. Cameras have a tendency to highlight inaccuracy, but to the naked eye I bet it looks bang-on. Great job!

3D prints are getting finer detail

Now, If I am not mistaken, Lucas meant for the equatorial trench to be this. I could see a big Death Star with your hyperdetail shrunken down.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back