Death Star 2 Port Attack Diorama

Thanks!

Getting there with the surface layout... next back to the corner with the partial tower and three surrounding red structures. Woo, finally get to build the tower.

DS2_Build322_sm_zps5a39907a.jpg

Another cold rainy weekend, so lots of progress (for once)...

Got the core structures for the tower area laid out as well as the frame and shell for the partial tower. This phase is so much fun!

Lots of clean-up and sanding of all the surface parts, then onto superdetailing and painting of all the surface elements...

DS2_Build328_sm_zpseb77b940.jpg

DS2_Build329_sm_zps8ccb9e6b.jpg

DS2_Build330_sm_zps78504e18.jpg

Finally found a local place to make acrylic cases and cut large styrene/ABS... spec'd out the large ABS surface piece with the "official" hole that will be clad to the MDF. In the meantime, getting cold out, so time to paint the port (since I had to remove it anyways). Forgot I had only tacked the inside structures in the corners... was hanging that way all summer, but didn't fall into the hole! I remembered when I tried to pick it up and they started falling inside the port... lol. All is good... built a quick temporary cardboard carrier so I can get at most angles of it. First time all the port sections were fully attached and painted. A few sand and putty spots, but actually not too bad overall for first crack at it... will work on that until the surface cladding is done.

DS2_Build 332_sm.jpgDS2_Build 333a_sm.jpgDS2_Build 333b_sm.jpg

The scale of this build is nuts. I don't think I could even get off the ground with this idea. Can't wait to see more progress, had to click though all the pages again to see it all.

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks all... got to admit, have looked down the port hole more than a couple of times... just a really cool view.

My large rough-cut piece of ABS was ready Fri, so I got some work done on the new surface base... new piece of MDF and got the embedded grid piece roughed in.

DS2_Build 334c_sm.jpgDS2_Build 334b_sm.jpgDS2_Build 334d_sm.jpg

Fashioned some thick aluminum edging out of some angle and flats... creates a nice lip to hold the surface piece as well as to add an acrylic cover at the end (having had to dust this thing a few too many times already)... next to cut the hole, add the mounting pins for the lower base, and some underside handles... then the final surface work can begin.

DS2_Build 335a_sm.jpg

Awesome feat of patience.............can I have some? :D

Looks fantastic. Seeing you are really crowded there by the look of the pics, I happily offer my place for you to ummm.........display it. :lol

Haha. You are right though, I had to rearrange my whole little room to make it so I can turn it different ways to work on it...

Past the scary part... I used the edge of the ABS circle to cut the new circle out of the MDF. I thought about using a router, but haven't used one in years... didn't want to chance it. Forgot how much fine sawdust MDF makes. Got it cut out and drum-sanded smooth and even with the ABS edge. Did a test fit over the lower port. Also taped in a piece of edging that I'm thinking of putting around the inside edge for a nice uniform edge. Epoxying the ABS to the MDF, final sanding, then a test fit for the red port.

DS2_Build 336d.JPG

Thanks. Mounted the top... hinges along the back that I can pull the pins on to remove it. Going to want to move this around the house and maybe some shows, so decided not to epoxy, but instead try lots of permanent double-stick tabs to mount the ABS. Had done some previous tests and works well. Should also absorb minor vibrations for all those surface parts. Also got the inner hole cowling installed. A little bit of sanding and primer... then onto the port test.

DS2_Build 337_sm.jpg

Had an abnormal week of single-digit temps and snow... even too cold in the garage to lay down the surface... got back to 40 degrees today so got 'er done. Glad I did the inner hole ring, too...

DS2_Build 338_sm.jpg

Gone for the holidays then two week sinus infection so been away from the glue and resin for a bit. Decided to finally make some space in the display room. Made a little workshop and year-round paint station out of the old basement laundry room. Good timing since the garage was below zero for like two weeks. Finally have some room to finish this.

DS2_Build 339_sm.jpg

It sat under plastic for about seven years while life happened... :oops:. I dug it out last Fall, and have the core all set back up, along with having unpacked all of the many custom surface parts. Shooting for next Winter or Spring to paint up all of those parts and figure out how to dust off all of the mounted structural parts. Once cool thing is that the structural port itself has been hanging successfully over the main tunnel for that long now with no sagging. Need to go through and re-pin a few of the inner port sections, but it survived fairly intact, even with stuff sitting on top of it over the years. May do some of that structural repair work later this summer. At least it is now out from sitting in a corner...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back